Zems

Finally got out in my Zems,

Finally got out in my Zems, the low cut split toe, awesome! Did an easy 16.5 miles yesterday around town. A good mixed bag of terrain. Road, sidewalk, dirtroads, and a little gravel. A conservative 8:30 pace for most, w/ some 7 minute miles thrown in for speedwork toward the end.

The good: The fit and feel of the shoe was perfect. They didn't slide around on my feet, but weren't too tight either. The upper is flexible enough to really allow the foot to splay as it should. The ground feel was excellent. I could feel everything, even the rougher sections of road translated through the shoe, but offered enough protection to avoid the abrasion I'd normally suffer after long miles barefoot.

The bad: My only concern is durability. The tread shows no sign of wear at all but the upper wraps under the outside of my forefoot. Though it may only contact the ground lightly, I feel this will wear quickly. I thought this would be the case prior to even running in them. When I compared the tread to my foot, it was a little more narrow in the forefoot than my footprint.

Overall: Great shoe, great price, great fit, and ground feel. If you have a wide foot like my Fred Flintstone feet, don't expect to get a ton of miles out of them. But for the price it may be hard to beat.

ewheel My first pair of

ewheel My first pair of split toes or ninjas as they used to be called made it a little over 300 miles before they ripped through the fabric that rolls over the edge. I ran all of those miles on pavement too. I've found a simple fix that only takes about 15 minutes but I paint those edges with plasti dip and they are good to go for what seems to be as far as I want them to. I only put the plasti dip on the edges where the fabric would meet the ground and that stuff is pretty durable. beyond that the bonus to plasti dip is that I can keep reapplying it as many times as I want when it starts to show wear. just an idea for those of you enjoying the zems and want them to last a little longer but you're right the price is nice for such a light and well fitting shoe.

Jimmy - thanks for the tip. 

Jimmy - thanks for the tip. I'll hit those edges w/ a little plasti dip to prolong their life. I'm really pleased w/ these though and look foward to racking up the miles in them. Keep us posted on the running model...maybe you'll need some wear testers :)

Where would I find plastidip?

Where would I find plastidip? I'd like to paint mine; they are showing some wear in that area.

I would try the hardware

I would try the hardware stores and then the craft stores.

I got mine at Lowes I

I got mine at Lowes I believe but Home Depot carries it as well. I want to say it was about $8 for the can and it will last you a long time. I have used it for a couple of pairs of running socks with rubber soles as well as now protecting a few pairs of ZEMs. Get the paintable kind....not the spray one.

I'm ready to order round toe

I'm ready to order round toe Zems.

I measure men's size 8 in length but always buy 8 1/2 EEEE or 9 when only EE is available in order to actualy fit inside shoes.

My Feelmax Panka's are 42, which is 8 1/2.

They are long on me, and I'm a bit afraid of tripping over the overhanging front, but I doubt that I could squeeze into

the smaller size.

Do Zems run really wide? Will the small (men's 7-8) be too tight?

For my situation, would high top be better or worse?

How is the return policy?

What color should I order?(kidding)

I would definitely order a

I would definitely order a pair when they make a model for running. Just from reading many comments, there is no way you can get decent mileage out of the Zem's. If you average around 90 mile per month, you would have to buy a pair for every month.

I'll let Jimmy answer, Board,

I'll let Jimmy answer, Board, since he has more experience with the shoes and with ZEM.

I have a wide foot...not 4E

I have a wide foot...not 4E mind you but it's wide and the small fits me great and I'm usually an 8-8.5 shoe size. The upper is fairly stretchy so the small might work for you. However given in extreme width :) of your foot you might just go up to the medium. The return policy is great but I wouldn't recommend you go log miles in them before you decide to send them back. You'll know if they work for you by just putting them on walking around a little.

To give you numbers the small measures a little over 3.5 inches at the fore foot and my foot is almost four inches wide and I love the way the smalls fit because they are snug and i've always preferred my footwear to fit like a glove. Hopefully that gives you some ideas. I don't have measurements on the mediums because I dont have any laying around. Sorry

To Adam I have a pair sitting next to me that have just a little over 300 miles on them and they only just got a tear in the fabric last week and that was my fault for walking sloppy on the pavement. If you're not a foot dragger then you can get some good miles out of a pair. If you get sloppy with your feet and drag at all when you run then you'll probably wear them out pretty quick.

Thanks Jimmy,I'll try the

Thanks Jimmy,

I'll try the smalls.

I'll know just from walking inside on the carpet, so if I have to exchange them for mediums

they will still look pristeen.

I'm not REALLY as wide as EEEE, but even though I am low-arched I am high-instepped.

In addition, I need a bit of room for my dorsal spurring at the first metatarso-phalangial joint.

That's why I wear EEEE's, even though I measure D for width.

I think the 4 way stretch upper will accomodate me and the medium would probably be too long.

Thanks again.

So this whole conversation

So this whole conversation convinced me I should get a pair. I went for my first run in them (5mi Barefoot 5mi with the zems) I love them alot. The were awesome for a couple of the trail areas that my soles just aren't ready for yet. But I wanted to mention, especially to those of you with connections at zem, that I totally agree with (I think it was) C.Beth. It would be great if they had different sizing for m/f. I got the low cut ones based on her comment about the ankle being loose and thinking it would be less pronounced in the lower ones. But its super loose around the heel. Not enough to really bother me or anything the split toes keep me from sliding in them, I think if I had the round toes I might be though. I do think if they had a slightly tighter heel it would be more comfortable.

I also had a guy comment on how good my foot strike was and how much he liked them. It made me smile.

I am waiting for my Zems to

I am waiting for my Zems to arrive, hopefully this week. I am going to use them for the winter once it gets to cold to go 'au natural', instead of the VFF's, since I have concerns about my toes freezing from separation anxiety when it dips really low.

I contacted Zem last week, about the possibility of reviewing their product for them to see how they hold up in cold weather over long runs and day to day use. I had a great conversation with Christina, and she has arranged to send some Zems up to me for both myself and wife to try and provide feedback. All I have to say, is I am impressed with this company and their product, and I haven't even tried the Zems on yet. I am really looking forward to receiving them and going for a run.

This is a company that I am going to help promote in Manitoba and Canada, as I believe they are on the right path to success, and I see lots of potential for this product in this untapped market.

It's a great day to be alive.

just got my zems. i think I

just got my zems. i think I like them. went out yesterday for the first time in them but kicked them off right away because I prefer the barefoot feel. Im sure they will come in handy when the colder temps arrive. I do like the feel of them just wearing around the house for now.

AJB and Beth your points on

AJB and Beth your points on gender specific fits have been noted and I appreciate the feedback.

Bob I will be very interested to see how the ZEMs perform in the colder temps that your climate will provide. I'm doing a lot of work with their testing program so your information will be eagerly awaited on my end.

That reminds me: If you are interested in testing the ZEMs let me know. We already have a lot of data and feedback in the running area so I'm not sure how many testers I need there but if you think they would be helpful to you in a unique area or just an area of activity that we haven't tested much, or at all, then let me know and we'll talk about getting you incorporated into our testing program!

Jimmy, I could provide some

Jimmy, I could provide some insight on cold weather too but I'm guessing there are people a lot closer to you who could do the same. I'd love to try them out though.

I'm in Michigan and cold

I'm in Michigan and cold weather is something that can't be avoided. My plan has and is to try Zems with socks when the temps are too cold for barefooting. I don't know what my thresh hold for cold is yet! I'd be happy to be a "tester" if you need it, though!

Jimmy Hart wrote:AJB and

Jimmy Hart said:
AJB and Beth your points on gender specific fits have been noted and I appreciate the feedback.

Bob I will be very interested to see how the ZEMs perform in the colder temps that your climate will provide. I'm doing a lot of work with their testing program so your information will be eagerly awaited on my end.

That reminds me: If you are interested in testing the ZEMs let me know. We already have a lot of data and feedback in the running area so I'm not sure how many testers I need there but if you think they would be helpful to you in a unique area or just an area of activity that we haven't tested much, or at all, then let me know and we'll talk about getting you incorporated into our testing program!

Hi,

I found this website and thread through the runnersworld website, where someone mentioned the Zems as an alternative minimalist shoe for running. Your review and the comments here have convinced me to try a pair but I'm thinking I will wait until their running specific model comes out.

However, if you want someone to test them out as a shoe for martial arts, kung fu specifically, I'd be more than happy. As I'm sure many would know already, the "Ninja" style shoe takes its name from the Ninja tabi boots that also have a split toe design. I think the Zems Ninja shoe would work very well in that arena.

Anyway, I live in Australia so if that will be a problem I understand and would still urge you to suggest Zem market their shoes to the martial arts community.