Zems

JSchwab -  I'd be interested

JSchwab - I'd be interested in reading your take on the ZEMs. When it comes to having an interest in minimal shoe options, with winter coming and all, I have a feeling that I'm not alone.

S. Pimp.

I have a review of the ZEMs

I have a review of the ZEMs already if anyone wants to read it here Product Review: ZEM Shoes: Initial Thoughts I've logged a couple hundred miles in the pair I reviewed in this post and I can say that they are pretty great. Obviously not meant to be a running shoe but they get the job done. I'm also working with them to design a minimal running shoe that I believe is going to be quite a great shoe so I will keep everyone posted on that as much as I am allowed to :)

Jimmy's review is really

Jimmy's review is really great and I read it before I bought mine. I had been hesitating, though, because of the design - the high and low versions that Jimmy describes seemed too hot and too much like Protons to make them interesting for warm weather running. I am really looking for a replacement for water shoes that's more durable. Last time I looked at the Zem site, I noticed they had added a "rounded" version of the shoe to their product line which they call "Zem Comfort" http://www.zemgear.com/Traveler.html. These shoes do not have a collar that encloses the ankle - rather they fit more like casual shoes. In the black ones I got, the logo is also black so they look very sleek. I can wear them to work. I figured if they didn't work for running I could wear them around. They fit true to size and the toe box is huge compared to any other shoe I know of.

I took them for a spin last night - one mile barefoot, then I slipped them on for repeats around the "track" (actually a city square that I use for track work). The concrete is pretty rough there, and after a few miles of fast running and slow recovery jogs there, and then another 1/2 mile later on at the tail end of my workout when my feet got too sensitive, there is no scuffing whatsoever. I cannot tell at all that the shoes have been worn at all which is pretty amazing since the fabric actually touches the ground because of the wraparound (I am not a scuffler, though, and have clean form, but still...).

I did have similar problems to Jimmy's with the seams - essentially they irritated the nerves around the edges of the feet a bit for me. I see in Jimmy's review that this problem disappeared with wear. I hope that is the case, because it was enough of a problem to cause me some concern. As far as the upper is concerned, it is warmer than water shoes due to the lack of mesh but much cooler than Protons because of the rounded collar leaving much more of the foot to breathe. The fit on the upper is, by far, the best fit on any minimalist shoe I have ever had. It should address concerns of those who cannot stand water shoes due to their feet sliding around. I don't have this problem even in oversized water shoes, but I did appreciate the glovelike fit.

I will happily run more in these and probably also spend alot of time wearing them as casual shoes. They are so good looking I even am considering wearing them with a dress to my high school reunion so I can run home. I really look forward to seeing the product of collaboration for a running shoe. I hope it includes the rounded collar which is very important to me in terms of fit and breathability.

schwab I am glad you posted

schwab I am glad you posted your thoughts. I forgot to say that in my previous post that I would love to hear your thoughts. Truth be told I work pretty closely with ZEM now and they are a great company. I could not be happier to be a part of their future. I have loved having my ZEMs as an all around shoe. I just wish my heel would stop hurting so I could wear them for walking around again. I can handle some running in them since my heel doesnt hit the ground much but walking around I use my heels a lot and the ZEMs are just a little too thin for that right now.

I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying them because I know you are not a pushover when it comes to foot wear.

I am glad you are working

I am glad you are working with them, Jimmy - I see possibilities for Crossfit-type people and others, too. I took them out for another 2.5 mile recovery run last night. They were soaking wet from washing them (they do not dry real quick) and they were great again.

they are a little slow to

they are a little slow to dry but that's due to the four direction weave of the upper. the great thing about them is that even when wet they are fine, much life vffs. I don't fear getting them wet because they still hold up and don't cause blisters. they're pretty impressive for such a simple shoe.

Thanks for the great review!

Thanks for the great review! I need to get my review written soon, on my blog. I'll link to it here or cut and paste it once I finish it.

Jimmy, I am SUPER excited to see what running shoe you guys come up with. I enjoy my ZEMs so much but I imagine the actual running bootie will address some of the things I don't love about the ZEMs.

anyone know or have an idea

anyone know or have an idea as to how these handle in the rain? i live in portland, OR and it rains here constantly. i wore my huaraches the other day in the rain and it's a bit uncomfortable having your foot slide around and then picking up every piece of dirt around you. i have some vff but they get wet and wet feet will turn into cold feet. i recently started thinking about this as fall is this weekend. any input as to how soft star moccasins do in the rain?

I've run in the ZEMs in the

I've run in the ZEMs in the rain but it wasn't cold out. They are meant to be beach/water shoes so they handle the water well and to be honest I think they act sort of like neoprene even though they aren't. I cannot speak from experience yet but I would expect them to not be too cold in the wetter/cooler weather.

These act as Jimmy says. I

These act as Jimmy says. I wore them today for a cold 5AM race volunteer post and they were perfect giving me a little extra warmth. Later, when temps climbed into the mid-80's they did not feel so hot like real neoprene would (like in the Protons). I was very pleasantly surprised by how well they do in this regard. For water, they act just like other beach shoes.

I was there as a volunteer but I got a few questions about the Zems and running. People seem to be really intrigued by VFF alternatives.

Well I loved mine for the six

Well I loved mine for the six or so weeks they held up, but here's what they looked like this morning. I've taken plastidip to them this afternoon. Hope it works. Sure wish they had lasted longer. BTW, I was using them as a walk around in shoe, not for running.
128642237.4DD3Xm0o.jpg
Beth

Aw, that's a bummer, I was

Aw, that's a bummer, I was seriously considering some of those...then again I guess for the price that's not all that bad?

Well, with the next release

Well, with the next release targeting runners, I'm sure this won't be an issue.

It will not be an issue with

It will not be an issue with the new designs i can say that but i would also say it looks like youre a scuffer Searchnk9. Dragging your feet in these shoes will definitely cause them to live a short life. I've got well over 200 miles on a pair now and they show no signs of wear but I make sure not to let my feet drag or they'd get all sorts of torn up like yours did.

I'm sorry they wore out so quickly...definitely not a good time.

So interesting how they got

So interesting how they got torn up right in the heel and none of the fabric had problems. I definitely sensed that it would not be OK to walk in them and they would only be good for running (with good form) but I didn't expect the sole to be the most vulnerable point. Then stripes on yours are pristine!

I've used mine plenty for

I've used mine plenty for walking. I've worn them to work and I rarely sit during a shift with no real wear on them. It really is all about how you walk or land really. My foot fall running and walking is pretty much a straight up and down movement so I don't scuff my feet much at all. That has always kept any footwear I've owned looking new for a long long time. The ZEMs can hold up to a lot of us but it has to be a certain type of use. Dragging or sliding your feet around on pavement will wear them out pretty quick because the soles are made of a fairly soft rubber. It's a trade off. You get great ground feel and flexibility but you lose durability. Compare that to vffs where they can last forever but you get less ground feel.