Zems

Thanks TJ -- I'm looking

Thanks TJ -- I'm looking forward to ordering them. I'm going to go with the black on black, without the split toe. I figure if these are going to be one of my Winter running options, then a split toe would be counter-productive.

Ironically, aquasocks aren't all that sock-like. Zems look to be much more sock-like, and probably a lot closer to a true barefoot feel.

TJ-I just ordered mine!  I

TJ-I just ordered mine! I went through the link on this site and then I logged in. There was no mention of BRS, so I hope it gets credit for my order. In the future, do I always need to go through this link?

THANK YOU ALL!  Thank you so

THANK YOU ALL! Thank you so very much! Yes, please. Always go through this link to order, if you can. We appreciate every little bit, since as you all know, we have no funding.

Awesome!! I got mine free

Awesome!! I got mine free through Jimmy's giveaway (booyah!) but when I wear them out I'll probably get more. They aren't perfect, but I still love them.

I got the black & silver and they are really cool-looking.

I didn't see the black and

I didn't see the black and silver. I bet those do look cool.

Ok, so reading through this

Ok, so reading through this thread, I still don't know if this will work for a MN winter. Thoughts? I run in cold (down to single digits), through snow, over top of ice etc. I'd like to give these a shot. Winter is closely upon us here it seems and I'm needing to find a shoe sooner than I want. The price is right on these and of course I'm all about putting my money in to help BRS

I'm in the same boat as you,

I'm in the same boat as you, Zum. West Michigan has a lot of snow. There is almost always ice, snow, and slush. I'm going to try the rounded toe version of these (Playa, I think) and add some warm socks, if necessary. I doubt they will do well in slush, and I have my doubts with the ice. But I think they'll work nicely for single digit weather and snow. At least, that's plan A for me! I figure if it's really icy, then I shouldn't be out and risk a nasty fall. I'm SO done with injuries!!!

Worst case scenario, I have to get a pair of those Teva Protons that SillyC talks about. But I'd rather not. However, I think I read that you're very sensitive to cold, right?

My concern wouldn't so much

My concern wouldn't so much be cold (you can always wear thick socks) but wet snow, etc. Water DOES enter the tops of them.

Since these are a new

Since these are a new minimalist option, and there is not much history behind them, we honestly do not know how they would fare in rigid, cold northern winters. These would definitely be good for days that are dry during the winter, and you could possibly add wool socks to them to increase warmth when needed.

ZEMs next efforts are focused on developing footwear specifically for running. It would be helpful for them to have as much feedback as possible on the current models, as I know they are appreciative to hear what the running community has to say about them.

About winter footwear, could

About winter footwear, could someone please make a track spike that's wide enough for a normal foot to function properly? It'd be my ideal winter shoe, really, if the spikes were removable. replace the spikes with threaded snow studs and you'll have a minimalist shoe with amazing grip. Buy it a size larger than you normally would and you'll be able to fit some decent socks in for the really cold days as well. I just don't get why there aren't any track spikes for actual feet...

Fet, I hear ya. Injuries

Fet, I hear ya. Injuries suck. I am sensitive to the cold, though get my butt out there anyway down to minimally below zero if need be. I seem to deal better with winter if I at least force myself to get out there in the cold, rather than keeping myself sheltered in the warmth, it helps me acclimate to the cold a bit better when I get myself out there regularly I think. :p I get spoiled if I keep myself warm too much in the winter, then I just get really pissed/irritable off when I have to go out in the cold when not used to it, kwim?

I tend to do ok on the ice, just really slow the pace and watch my footwork so I've never had much trouble with traction or needing yak trax etc. I may have to get something that will suffice in dry and wet conditions, considering my budget I can't really afford to have a dry winter shoe and a wet condition winter shoe AND I'd prefer it if I could use it for teaching Zumba too...though I may just have to suck it up and buy a separate shoe for that as to NOT be wearing shoes from outside into the studio (for sure thinking Jingas for this, hoping that I can use them for both...however if it comes down to buying two pairs of shoes, the Zem is a lesser expensive alternative to Jingas. Not sure, though, if either is conducive to winter running.

blind boy I feel ya and I

blind boy I feel ya and I have to say I was just in the running store looking at spikes and there are a few that have a decent amount of room in the toe. I have a wide forefoot and I was able to tolerate some of the saucony spikes fairly well. I believe they were the kilkenny and there was an asics one (the name escapes me now) that was ok too. If you can try some of those on they may be an option for you.

or you could just take some ZEMs and put some tacks through the sole :)

Jimmy, I've considered the

Jimmy, I've considered the Kilkenny but I don't have anywhere to try them on. We don't have a real running store in my town or anywhere near here so I'd have to order without trying it on and that just didnt feel like a good idea so I went with EVOs instead since I got a deal on them. I might still get the Kilkennys though once I've had the opportunity to try them. Ideally, I'd want something like the Nike Zoom Matumbo though. That one really is a sock and a spike plate, too bad I can only fit like three toes in it.

You know, you could just convince ZEM to slap a spike plate on one of their shoes. :p Sure, it's a VERY limited market but I'd be happy and that's really all I care about anyway. ;)

Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ said:
THANK YOU ALL! Thank you so very much! Yes, please. Always go through this link to order, if you can. We appreciate every little bit, since as you all know, we have no funding.

TJ, is there a "donate" link? i know I asked about it before, but I can't remember if there were explicit instructions for donating. I could contribute a few bucks come payday.

Thank you, J.!  We're not set

Thank you, J.! We're not set up to except donations just yet. We have yet to file for 501c3 non-profit status. We were waiting for the feds to come out with an online program that would save us $200-$300 to file. I need to find the time to research where we are with this. Once we have our non-profit status, we will be able to put up the donate banner ad.

Just ordered a pair today but

Just ordered a pair today but did not look at this thread until right now, not sure I ended up ordering from BRS.org link so I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they will give credit or whatever to BRS.org for my purchase. I feel bad, I didn't see this first.

edit: I just emailed them and ask they make sure BSR.org gets credit for my purchase today. I will try to follow up with a phone call tomorrow if i can.

And I got them mainly for cold weather running, it gets below 70 and I'll probably be wearing them. :p

You are too cool, Dave.

You are too cool, Dave. Thank you!

Just got mine in the mail

Just got mine in the mail yesterday. They feel good on the feet but I'll give them a dozen or so miles on Saturday to test them out. We've got a tropical depression/noreaster going on today and I'm going out for some barefoot miles. Should be an adventure!

That same storm went by down

That same storm went by down here the past two days and we got a ton of rain we really needed and it cooled it off a little bit!!! Finally!! It is so nice today. First day it has felt like Fall, at least Florida Fall, it dipped below 80 last night! Wooohooo!