My attempt at a barefoot 100 miler

Good luck Jason!   This is

Good luck Jason! This is exciting and look forward to hearing all about it.

I am 40 years old with very young children, by the time I even think about doing an ultra I will be well into my 50's. I barely found enough time to train for a marathon this year.

Thanks for the race

Thanks for the race schedule! I was wondering about some races in November and December that would be close to Michigan. The Bobcat and the Bigfoot look good. Maybe see you there?

(btw, I decided on the Detroit Marathon instead of the Grand Rapids one. I guess I like running into Canada too much).

Cheers and good luck this weekend!

John

Adam, Jason has small

Adam, Jason has small children too, three of them.

Love the new dirty feet avatar, Sherri.

Sorry about that Adam.Down

Sorry about that Adam.

Down and dirty, Sherri.

Yes, it will settle down, and

Yes, it will settle down, and you will be able to get more done. And don't feel guilty for doing so, like I did, you need to make you happy in order to make those you love the most happy. It took me a few years to realize that.

Besides...  If momma ain't

Besides... If momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy!

adam, I agree with TJ. 

adam, I agree with TJ. Running with young children gets a lot easier. I barely ran when my daughter was first born. The next year, I ran a marathon. That first year is impossible for fitness goals.

Trust me I am still

Trust me I am still running. No matter what I get my 3 days a week of running in. I am averaging around 20-25 mpw. My wife knows running is not only my enjoyment but therapy for me. If I don't run for at least two days I go nuts.

I already got my second marathon next year lined up.

I think we got it in our

I think we got it in our minds to start running when we had 2 kids, both of them under 3. But we didn't actually manage it until we had 3 kids and the oldest was 5 or 6. One thing that made a big difference was that my mother-in-law retired and came to help out with the kids 4 days a week!

Ultra training with kids can

Ultra training with kids can be difficult, especially given their ages (5,4, and 1). It is a little easier as both Shelly and I have summers off. Still, it takes A LOT of time-management. Having to juggle work, family time, my clinic stuff, my book stuff, writing my blog, and spending time answering questions and participating BFR communities, it can be difficult to find time to train. This is what I do:
[*]Do lots of night runs when kids are sleeping. I regularly sacrifice sleep for training.[*]Rely heavily on crosstraining, hence my affinity for high intensity interval traiing. It's fast and effective. Also, my gym offers daycare... a huge plus.[*]Don't do junk miles. I rarely go out for leisurely runs that don't serve a specific purpose. My runs are either fast tempo runs, hill repeats, or long runs. My weekly mileage is VERY low for ultras, but quality always trumps quantity.[*]Prioritize. I may disappear from the forum for a week at a time. I may not respond to every email I receive. I could do more to promote my book. I'm okay with that because I have to prioritize family time.[*]Have an understanding spouse. I'm lucky- Shelly is an avid runner/exercise freak, too. We regularly hire babysitters so we can run together.

I love that you and Shelly

I love that you and Shelly can excersize and run together LP, sounds like you guys have it all nailed down for summers :) Schedules and priorities really make a big difference in making these things happen and you just have to make your priorities your schedule or it'll never happen.

I'd LOVE to do an ultra, someday. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through you ultra runners :party:

I like reading about how

I like reading about how other families with small kids make working out "work". Our kids are 2 & 4. My husband works a normal weekday job; I am (primarily) a stay-at-home mom. Hubby does triathlons; I just run. He does sprint-length tris, and I'm training for a half marathon, so neither of us has to do LOTS of training, but we both do need to be out there regularly.

We have it worked out that one of us is with the kids while the other works out.Three mornings a week are "mine" and four are "his" but on his 4th (Sunday) I have been managing a run too before we leave for church. My long runs (suspended temporarily while I learn to run BF) are Saturday mornings. When I'm doing those long runs, I usually end them at Starbucks, and the kids and hubby pick me up there. That way I get some extra alone time.

I do my strength training at night in front of the TV with hand weights, and if one of us wants to do an occasional evening run, we support each other.

It works. :)

GOOD LUCK, Jason! I'm so excited to hear how it goes.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts