What is your favorite running distance (non-racing)?

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
For the past weeks now I have been running a 10 miler as my medium- long run on the weekends (actually a 10 miler is considered a short run). I have to say I really noticed alot of improvement in all around fitness, stamina, and form strengthening with a 10 mile run. Dare I say that I almost consider a 10 miler a short run, and easy? well not yet but it's getting real close.

A year ago I would consider a 10 miler super long and something I would do here and there, but I actually like this distance right now. It's fun, and just enough to really give me a good workout without killing myself.

What is your favorite mileage distance that you feel you really benefit from?

I work with a marathoner/ultra runner, he says to me when time is limited and I need a quick easy run, I will only do a 20 miler. Yeah only! I got a kick out of that.

I really like the 12-13

I really like the 12-13 mile distance. I seem to get my second wind at about 10-11 miles so it is always a nice finish.

I am getting to the same

I am getting to the same place you are where a 10 miler is a medium run. I can't go out the door and feel good about my effort if I don't run 5-6 and I prefer 8.

10 miles always just feels good and instead of feeling pressed for time like I often do on 5-6 mile runs, I know I can just take it easy, enjoy the run and feel great afterwards.

Abide:   I love half

Abide: I love half marathons, I have done a full marathon and will do another one. But I really like the half marathon distance for racing and testing my time.

Scooter: I hear you about the 5-6 range. I no longer run anything shorter than 5 miles. A 5 miler is my short run now.

I like 10 - 13 miles.

I like 10 - 13 miles.

No, sadly.  I'm running 5 - 6

No, sadly. I'm running 5 - 6 now. Before my surgery, my average runs were about 10 miles, 3 to 4 times a week. I hope to get back there soon. I've developed a bad case of heel pain due to walking around on my heels for almost 3 months after the surgery to avoid putting pressure on the balls of my feet from the MN surgery. It's slow going for me. I can do 6 now every other day, so that's good for now.

When I was "shod" I used to

When I was "shod" I used to say that I wouldn't put my shoes on for a run of less than 5 miles. Now, in this group that kind of takes on a whole new meaning! :) Now I say I don't want to put my shoes on for any length of run! (unless I weanie out and put on my VFFs)

I always thought that after mile 14, that the "shine" had kind of worn off the run. 10 milers were always fun. I felt like I had a good workout and burned off some extra calories.

So I guess I would fall in the 10-14 miles as being my fav distance.

Now...that was BEFORE BFR...I haven't run barefoot over 4 miles since trying BFR...I am trying to build back up to that 10-14, and we'll see if it is the same. But the soles just aren't ready for that yet...

Cheers!

I wouldn't put my shoes on

I wouldn't put my shoes on for a run of less than 5 miles. Now, in this group that kind of takes on a whole new meaning!
smile.png
Now I say I don't want to put my shoes on for any length of run! (unless I weanie out and put on my VFFs)

That's great.

Now you can say, "I won't step out the door unless I'm going to run x number of miles."

Before I ditched the shoes, I

Before I ditched the shoes, I was up to almost 9 miles on my weekend "long run." I LOVED my long runs. So I haven't found my ideal distance yet, but in general long runs are better than short for me! I'm just not sure where the point of diminishing returns will be. We'll see as I build my distance back up! My "long run" last weekend was 2 1/4 miles, so I have a ways to go. :)

Even though I've trained up

Even though I've trained up to 20 miles a couple of times, I prefer my medium runs. Our town has a great 8+ mile perimeter that's great to run... lots of elevation to keep me on my toes and short enough for me to go hard during the last couple of miles. When I get bored with that, I head for the fields and creek bottom for a change of scenery (all in FiveFingers).

Short runs are almost painful because it takes me 2-3 miles just to warm up, and then I'm almost done. For the next two weeks, I'll be training on trails, and am super excited for that. I may just find a new favorite training distance out in the wilderness.

4 miles has been a great barefoot distance, but it's increasing as my feet are able to hack it.

Like others, I'm not

Like others, I'm not satisfied with a run unless I can get in 5 or 6 miles. I feel compelled to do a double in order to get the mileage in.

But my favorites are the long runs. There is something very satisfying about going over 20 miles. You feel like you accomplished something and it sounds cool just to say you ran that far. And it helps me sleep like a baby.

"Short runs are almost

"Short runs are almost painful because it takes me 2-3 miles just to warm up"

Oh don't I know that feeling. I am not comfortable until 3 miles. That is when the HR settles in, the muscles are witching just right, I am in the zone and the world sort of slips away. On days when I have to run 3-4 and can't really go longer it is almost a let down to just start feeling good and having to quit.

My BF mileage is finally getting a consistent distance. I have put in some 10 milers but pay the price. 4-5 was easy but anything over 5 hurt. I am now running consistently 6 and today 7 miles completely BF relatively sore sole free. Well, except the occasional rock or stupid error.

My goal is to run the Annapolis 10 Miler in three weeks Barefoot. that would be just cool. Long runs I am so cool with wearing my KSO's My longest run of 16 was an absolute dream and the rush lasted weeks. I need another one of those so Shacky, I can only imagine what a 20 miler must feel like.

Mu year end goal is to run a 30 miler. Don't really care much about the pace, I just want to feel it.

I'm with Shacky... the longer

I'm with Shacky... the longer the run, the better. I like to test things on long runs (food, hydration, pacing, clothing, etc.). That adds an element of fun that shorter runs lack. Also, I really like the freedom of being able to walk, stop, and eat on a run. There's no better feeling than being out on a trail all day!

During marathon training I

During marathon training I ran two 20 milers, I actually enjoyed them, but boring at the same time. I don't think I would just run a 20 miler again for the heck of it, only if I am training for something.

But if I had some trails to run that would be a different story. I do very little short trail running, but it's fun. I can see doing very long distances on trails much more enjoyable than on the road.

As far as warmer up, it takes me about 3 miles as well to really get into my groove.

I love doing my 13 - 15 mile

I love doing my 13 - 15 mile barefoot runs on Sundays. They'll be even more fun when the weather cools and the humidity decreases!

10-14, partially because of

10-14, partially because of the what I can do with that distance (run to the neighborhood clear on the other side of town, run to my mom's house, etc). My favorite race distance is 5 miles but I am very partial to the long training run. Just running up to 7 barefoot or minimalist or combined nowadays.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts