Mileage Reporting 43rd week of 2012

I swear I've been trying with the rolling and some goofy stick thing, at least a few times a day.
At school, and during long driving commutes, and with lack of sleep, I find myself going running, then going sitting. So I kind of think that might be part of the cycle I have to break. Yeah, totally, gotta quit the school thing. It's totally ruining my calves.
The tofp is on the opposite leg from the tightest calf one (both calves are tight, but the left is far worse right now), but I was thinking it may be related.
Yah, could be lack of proper rest. I would definitely quite school before running. On a more serious note, make sure to massage the front of the leg too. I've found this to be even more important than the calves, as a lot of the tendons in the top of the foot connect up to those muscles, and calves and the front muscles are antagonistic to each other, like Donkeys and Elephants, so they influence each other. You've heard my spiel about the shin muscles before, but I think it bears repeating, because it's a bit counter-intuitive, when it's the calves that feel sore. Anyway, hope you're feeling better soon.

I swear I've been trying with the rolling and some goofy stick thing, at least a few times a day.
At school, and during long driving commutes, and with lack of sleep, I find myself going running, then going sitting. So I kind of think that might be part of the cycle I have to break. Yeah, totally, gotta quit the school thing. It's totally ruining my calves.
The tofp is on the opposite leg from the tightest calf one (both calves are tight, but the left is far worse right now), but I was thinking it may be related.
I should quit school too and start working at a physical job. I think this sedentary lifestyle (tons of sitting) I've been living (despite running and exercising more) is a huge contributor to my PF.

I almost forgot to post todays mileage.... See, it's that age thing getting me again. I did 5 miles exactly today. I started out barefoot and it was about 46F and not raining but lots of standing water from rain earlier this morning. It. Was. Cold... I made it 0.25 miles before I stopped and put on the huaraches. Not sure what it is about standing water being colder than when it is raining (even at same temp, weird phenomenon I know), but it sucks. Ran 2 miles in the huaraches before I had to take them off because they were making my middle couple of toes go numb and tingly on the left foot no matter how many times I stopped and made micro-adjustments. Either they are just slightly too tight or they are loose enough that I don't get the numbing tingling sensation but I have to stop and pick the heel strap back up because it has slipped off my heel. Wish I could find a good low mm minshoe that fit my funky wide feet (maybe the new Zemgear Terras I just ordered???). Anyhow, finished off the last almost 3 miles barefoot. Thanks to having warmed the body up sufficiently my feet were no longer cold. My feet got the final little polishing they needed from all the stinking grit and water on the ground that they have shed the last of the summer roughness and are now fully baby smooth again. I was feeling pretty good, ok really good, at around 3.75 miles and so I decided to add in an extra mile of hills to finish off my run. Was having a good time until speedily running back down the hill when my knee got a twinge again. Backed off and slowly finished the run without much more for problems. Hope the knee heels up soon. Kind of a drag.

It. Was. Cold...
Am having trouble making myself go outside today... I want to, but I don't, you know? It's kind of ironic that part of the reason is that I get chilled easier since I lost a few pounds. :rolleyes: Anyway, hearing you survived and are happy with your run helped. I think I'll be able to get out soon.

Laura, it was a great run, just the standing water is miserable. Not sure why the ground is so much colder when it is wet and not raining than when it is raining.

I forgot to mention I saw the old Asian guy again out running. This guy flat amazes me. I hope I can still be running when I am his age. I know he does at least 5 miles everyday, because I see him on the front and backside of a particular loop I do, although he could easily extend that out for considerably more miles.

Reactions: happysongbird
First time I run 2 days in a row !!! Feet feel a bit sore, but it's all good soreness :)
8km at 5'35"/km, cadence 91 and stride length 1m.....Barely, this confirms the discussion we had the other day about stride length vs cadence

Just had a 1.7 mile / 2.7 km run around Como Lake. I was going to do a three-and-a-half-mile run down by the Mississippi, but I thought better of it. It’s a bridge circuit on either side of the river, and a bit longer than I had planned for my third full run into my rehab, but the knee felt fine this morning after massaging my legs yesterday and this morning. Good thing I changed my mind. My knee feels a little sore now post-run. I don't know if it was the run or the fact that I sped up about 1/3 of a mile into it. I didn't have my Garmin but it felt 9mm pace or faster. I'll see how it feels tomorrow and evaluate whether or not I'm jumping back into running a little prematurely, or if I just need to keep it slow for a week or two more. It’s been a real shame not to have run more during the peak color phase—why couldn’t I tweak my knee during January? But perhaps another week of complete rest is the right thing to do.

First time I run 2 days in a row !!! Feet feel a bit sore, but it's all good soreness :)
8km at 5'35"/km, cadence 91 and stride length 1m.....Barely, this confirms the discussion we had the other day about stride length vs cadence
Yah, I see that, because last run you had Cadence 92, average pace 5'12"/km, average stride length 1.08m. So both rate and length are covarying as you pick up the pace, right?

Nick: cool to see you're building up distance again!

I didn't plan on doing any more than 4ish miles but I felt so good still at almost 4 that I decided to tack on an extra mile and see how I felt. I don't think I am going to be running much more than that in the near future. Maybe later on, but not this quick and especially after the stupid knee tweak of last week. I did really find my inner spring today though for about 3 1/2-4 miles or so. I love it when I have those days where you feel like you're not working much because the natural leg spring is throwing your legs up and forward without you having to do much. Most days I don't really find the spring quite like this, only partially have the spring. Today was a rare day as far as that is concerned.

Well, I put in 8 miles at an average 9:15mm pace, so my speed in the distance is still creeping up, even though I just try to relax on the long runs. A bunch of rough pavement, so not too shabby. Got chilled immediately afterward, but was comfortable for the run.

Raining tonight with the cold temps, not sure I want to go and risk getting sick. But there is definitely opportunity to splash through some pretty big puddles, hmmmm, warm in the house.... or splashing through puddles and a reward beer afterwards........ No question, beer it is.......

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon