Mileage Reporting 43rd week of 2012

1.8 miles today, 45degF, shorts and short sleeve t-shirt, slight misting going on. Started out the run in the Altra Adams, this time I wore socks to head off the abrasiveness of the material and seams on the flesh. Only made it about a half mile before I started to have a niggle in my left foot (the widest foot). I kept going but was really paying attention to how it felt. Suddenly at about .9 miles there was a pretty sharp pain near the outer edge of the left foot. I stopped immediately and took off the shoe. Almost instantly the pain let up so I took off the socks and the other shoe and turned around and headed back home. Once the shoes were off the pain was gone and I could have kept running but decided not to push it and just went to the gym and did about 45 minutes. Foot feels great now, I just think my left foot is too wide for those stupid shoes. Anyone want them? Size 10.5 in mens. I only have the small insoles (not in them at this moment, but I think I had accidentally thrown out the other insoles when I threw away the box). They are barely worn so are in pretty good condition, they maybe have 50-75 miles on them is all.

Not everyone is crazy like Bob. :D If my core is warm it increase my low temperature tolerance. Dressed to warm today though. Dressed for the windchill, I was on the hot and sweaty side when I was done. I would have been better off dressing for the air temp and being a little on the cool side.
You know, I've heard a lot of people say overdressing the torso helps keep one's feet warm, but I haven't noticed any difference. I just like keeping my legs and knee joint warm to avoid pulling something.

The great thing about being in touch with you Winnipegans (Winter pagans?) is that I don't feel so sorry for myself for having to put up with Minnesotan winters. You guys get about a month more of winter than we do, and average 10 degrees colder too. I almost feel like a wimpy Californian or something. But really, winter is really just January and February. The snow and change of seasons are kind of fun up to New Year's. Then it starts to drag on.

You know, I've heard a lot of people say overdressing the torso helps keep one's feet warm, but I haven't noticed any difference. I just like keeping my legs and knee joint warm to avoid pulling something.

The great thing about being in touch with you Winnipegans (Winter pagans?) is that I don't feel so sorry for myself for having to put up with Minnesotan winters. You guys get about a month more of winter than we do, and average 10 degrees colder too. I almost feel like a wimpy Californian or something. But really, winter is really just January and February. The snow and change of seasons is kind of fun up to New Year's. Then it starts to drag on.
You are right, after Xmas it starts getting to be a bit of a drag. I find base layers of smartwool for cold weather running works best for me. I have the zip tops in 3 weights (light, medium and heavy). That and a lightly insulated windbreaker type jacket and I am good for runs down to the -25C range (no barefooting in that temp :) ). So basically all winter I run in one baselayer and a jacket. Keeping my core and legs warm seem to work for in extending my barefoot temperature range. After yesterdays -9C run there was no numbing or tingling in the feet at all, and I was still able to feel the small pointy stuff as I ran.

We don't really have cold winters here, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean squat, but I can't overdress my torso. I guess physically I can, but it makes me sweat which then makes me cold. If I am needing to extend the warmth from my torso to my feet I throw on some workout pants I have. Otherwise most of the winter I just run in shorts and a short sleeved t-shirt or shorts and long sleeved t-shirt (which I usually end up pushing the sleeves up on). I have a cycling ear warmer and some thin gloves that I wear when it gets cold enough (funny, but my hands and ears don't warm up like my feet do when running when it's cold).

Reactions: happysongbird

The great thing about being in touch with you Winnipegans (Winter pagans?) is that I don't feel so sorry for myself for having to put up with Minnesotan winters. You guys get about a month more of winter than we do, and average 10 degrees colder too. I almost feel like a wimpy Californian or something. But really, winter is really just January and February. The snow and change of seasons is kind of fun up to New Year's. Then it starts to drag on.

Bite it. Yes, perhaps we have low tolerance for weather, but we're supreme bad asses when an earthquake suddenly appears and devours a city, whole, just like that :D

As for me, did 21.56 mi cycle commute, yesterday. Was going to ride to the gym after leaving the client for some weights and - say it with me, Bare - Boooouuuuulllllldering, but had to get home and churn out a project for another customer that suddenly got hot (a downside of working for yourself, you can't leave work at "work" because that place doesn't actually exist).

I'll probably do a run today, but I'll post that separately because...you know....dig me...:barefoot:

We don't really have cold winters here, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean squat, but I can't overdress my torso. I guess physically I can, but it makes me sweat which then makes me cold. If I am needing to extend the warmth from my torso to my feet I throw on some workout pants I have. Otherwise most of the winter I just run in shorts and a short sleeved t-shirt or shorts and long sleeved t-shirt (which I usually end up pushing the sleeves up on). I have a cycling ear warmer and some thin gloves that I wear when it gets cold enough (funny, but my hands and ears don't warm up like my feet do when running when it's cold).

A while ago, I read that if your hands are cold, put on a hat - tried that and sure enough, it works. So when there's a 60 degree cold snap, instead of layering up, I actually put on a beanie and just wear a fairly light long-sleeve shirt and running shorts. More often than not, after I get up to operating temp (about 5 mins) I take the beanie off because I'm too hot.

A while ago, I read that if your hands are cold, put on a hat - tried that and sure enough, it works. So when there's a 60 degree cold snap, instead of layering up, I actually put on a beanie and just wear a fairly light long-sleeve shirt and running shorts. More often than not, after I get up to operating temp (about 5 mins) I take the beanie off because I'm too hot.
My head gets sweaty with a beanie. Anything that covers the top of my head makes my head sweaty and itchy. It has to be really cold, which we just don't get much of here in OR, in order for me to throw something like a beanie on. Back home in MT while growing up I wore beanies all the time, but it was flat cold in the winters there. I remember winters with -50deg F or less counting the windchill. More often than not we walked to school with negatives for temps. This OR weather is a treat compared to that.

Mileage for this week (Sunday thru Saturday):

Mon 10/22: 6.15 bf miles incl 1 mile warmup walk, mixed pavement. First chunk of glass encountered, removed, and maniacally laughed at
Tue 10/23: Indoor spin bike and krankcycle, 32 miles
Wed 10/24: 3.32 bf miles incl 1 mile warmup, DG trail and it hurt like a MFer, er, I mean, BFer
Thur 10/25: Rest and recovery day damn Sears repair service
Fri 10/26: Indoor spin bike and krankcycle, 34 miles
Sat 10/27: 7.1 bf run, incl .9 mi warmup walk on mixed pavement. Longest bf run yet, low 50s at the start, felt absolutely great.

TOTAL BF miles for the week: 16.57

Ran 6.51 miles with my Saturday running buddy. 44.16 miles for the week.

:D My keys to cold weather running and keeping the toes toasty are the following:
  1. Keep moving, stop and the potential for your feet to freeze to the ground increases dramatically. ;)
  2. Keep your head covered with a toque (what us Canucks call a Beanie I guess), heat rises and guess where your head is? (Let's keep your minds out of the gutter now people :oops:)
  3. Layer accordingly above your waist, if it is really cold I use Hot Pockets (instant heat) against my midsection to keep my core nice and toasty. Exactly what Dutchie said above so you don't get too :cool: (we need a smiley with a graduation thingy on his head for really smart comments).
  4. Good running pants are a must, either tights or winter running gear like Northface or Salomon (wind resistant) when it is really cold, because it is usually not the cold that gets you it is the burn from the wind, which will freeze your upper legs. A good kilt works too, i have ran in a kilt in weather down to -30 degrees with no issues on the lower legs.
  5. This may seem strange but something covering your ankles, I use wrist bands to cover them because when they are bare my feet seem to get colder quicker. I personally think it is because the ankle bone is so close to the skin surface and there is less covering the cold gets into the bones and works it way down to the feet. When they are covered and warm, my feet just seem to stay warm so much better.
  6. But the most important, is to know your limits and do not push it beyond for potential of doing some significant damage. As soon as you can not feel the ground, stop and get something on your feet. Because numb feet are dumb feet, so don't take chances, you only have two to work with.
Other than that get out there and have some fun, and give those silly shoad runners something to talk about. You should of seen the faces on the people that I was passing the other day at my Half Mary, there were a few jaws that made intimate contact with the ground. :D

By the way a nice 7.5 mile jaunt this morning through the crisp morning. Took Hazel out with me this morning so I had to use my 4 year old KSO's just to ensure my feet did not freeze to the black ice that was all over the place. Oh well, good negative diget barefoot run this afternoon is in order I be thinking.

:D My keys to cold weather running and keeping the toes toasty are the
.3 Keep your head covered with a toque (what us Canucks call a Beanie I guess), heat rises and guess where your head is? (Let's keep your minds out of the gutter now people :oops:)

In honour of the other post and potential freebie winning, Keeping your noggin warm by using a Hoo Rag is also a great idea.

Well, today I had planned on not running but this morning we found out my in-laws have to put one of their dogs down. She is my little buddy every Sunday and whenever we house sit or come over during the week. She always races to the door to greet me and then pals around by my side. Wasn't sure how far I was going to run and so just took off with the plan of listening to my body. I ended up doing 5.7 super rainy (49degF) miles at a much faster pace than normal (avg 10:45/mile with the last two miles a long slow uphill that I actually picked up the pace on). I started out in my huaraches and then once I felt warm I switched to barefoot. That didn't last very long, 0.7 miles is all. My feet got cold and then very achy from all the debris so I threw the huaraches back on and just ran. I came across a guy in the park that looked an awful lot like a guy I was in the Army with. He smiled and said hi and looked at me as if he knew me, but then I wasn't sure because it's been 7 years since I've seen him and this guy looked a little heavier set (I guess bigger all the way around) but the same goofy smile. I was kind of in my own world though and was trying to excise some demons or what not I guess, so I didn't stop and ask him. I probably should have.

He smiled and said hi and looked at me as if he knew me, but then I wasn't sure because it's been 7 years since I've seen him and this guy looked a little heavier set (I guess bigger all the way around) but the same ...
Now that I'm back in the city I grew up in, that happens to me sometimes too. I've been away for so long that I've missed all my high school reunions except the five-year one, so I have no idea what the middle-aged version of folks looks like. Probably just as well. I'm having a lot of fun meeting the Twin Cities' ex-pat/immigrant community through my wife.

Anyway, nice run. I'm so envious of you guys. I was going to run today, but I have a slight head cold (due, no doubt, to not running much for several weeks), so I figured I mis' well give the knee another day's rest and try a couple miles tomorrow. It's feeling really good now, so I may go for a stroll with the kids later. It's a beautiful fall day.

This may seem strange but something covering your ankles, I use wrist bands to cover them because when they are bare my feet seem to get colder quicker. I personally think it is because the ankle bone is so close to the skin surface and there is less covering the cold gets into the bones and works it way down to the feet. When they are covered and warm, my feet just seem to stay warm so much better.

Great idea !! I was trying to find something to cover my ankles to run in the bush, but did not want 'socks like' that almost go up to the knee, thanks for the tip !!!

The weather is so awesome here at -6 degrees that I had to go out again for another run, this time barefoot of course (no over zealous puppy dragging me this time), had a great little pace going over the 6 plus miles, and yes my feet were toasty warm. My fingers on the other hand, were a little tinglely by the time I got home even in my gloves.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test