I want more speed

i should've added if it doesn't frustrate the hell out of you when you do the maf method, you're doing it wrong.

i did try another method. running hard and fast all the time. small improvement compared to maf method.

Reactions: Sid
i should've added if it doesn't frustrate the hell out of you when you do the maf method, you're doing it wrong.

i did try another method. running hard and fast all the time. small improvement compared to maf method.
Hard-and-fast-all-the-time sounds like over-training, or a punk band. Maff is the opposite extreme. To each his/her own, but I find a mixture of run types works best for me. I dropped 1 minute per mile within just a few months of adopting this approach last spring. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you or criticizing the Maff approach, but most elites mix it up after establishing an aerobic base over 3-4 months.

I hope your only source for knowing POSE isn't from the science guys website you posted.
No, pretty much every non-Pose writer I've come across has critiqued the Pose model as biomechanical explanation, but many endorse it as a method or set of coaching cues that may help at least some runners attain better form. I also believe it may have merit for injury-prevention.

maf method is great for aerobic training. then you add in your speed work and strength training every 3-4 months. perhaps you missed that when reading his books?

Lee,

Perhaps you should read some pose writers and things would make more sense. Just a thought...
Yes, I have, including those two links you posted this morning. I don't think there's any chance of us changing the other one's mind. I posted the counterargument so that anyone happening upon this thread would be aware of it, and thus be more informed of the pluses and minuses when forming an opinion or trying it out. Our exchanges should be based on sh*t-giving and laughs at this point, it seems to me.

I like to think our exchanges were/are much more than sh@t giving :)
On a lot of topics, yes, I agree. I continue to learn a lot from you and enjoy your comments. But I don't see any point in us debating the merits of Pose versus non-Pose running. My main concern with respect to Pose is that people should be made aware of alternative views, that's all. I've become convinced that there's almost always two sides to the story when it comes to running, and that these forums are a good arena in which to learn about other possibilities. I appreciate the fact that you want to expose people to something that has worked for you, but I feel a need to provide dissenting links, because I know that it has taken me a while to begin sorting out what works for me, and reading through different opinions here has helped out a lot.

Reactions: Sid and dutchie53
Lee,

I don't want to keep you from your passion with showing two sides to a story but my goal is to help runners run injury free whether it be bare or in shoes. Nothing wrong with seeing all the options that are available but seems like you do more good just telling people what you've found work rather than bringing confusion to what has worked for many others.

Regarding different methods such as Pose, I would like to know what the elites use?
I have no idea, but I would think that when millions of dollars are at stake they would choose the best methods.

Jim
That's my guiding principle too: when in doubt, do what the pros do. Ignore the exercise and fitness gurus selling their products/programs/advertising space, and see what the elites do, and then adjust their techniques / protocols to your abilities and goals. I began doing this about six months ago, and it really clarifies things.

Jim,

Just because money is involved it doesn't mean people make smart choices in what they do. As for looking to elites for guidance about training I think that is a smart logical thing to do. As for whether what they do will work for you will depend on a number of factors. I don't personally hang around elite circles any more but I do know from my past experience many elites use some form of running technique training. Most notable is coach Alberto Salazar and the runners he trains.

Okay, for starters, no one style or running method will fit anyone. And someone that is going to so blatantly ignore that fact to tell someone else that they will "eventually educate" them needs to take a second and breath. You've already educated him on your opinion. For every runner, something different works. That's why we run barefoot, right? It works for us. I really hate when people preach to me something that is mostly their opinion, but they preach it as an absolute truth. For example, I cannot stand barefoot runners who try to convert everyone to barefoot running. Sure, it has helped me, but I do not recommend it to anyone. I simply tell them the benefits I have noticed from it as well as the downsides and let them decide if it is something they want to try. Maybe that's why I've switched to barefoot running without reading a book, article, or anything else about "form". For 3 years I had a coach tell me what to do and not to do when I ran cross country. It took me over 10 years to figure out that things he taught me did not work for me and were, in some cases, incorrect. (Now to turn this back on topic) For example:

He always told us to keep running. If we stopped, we might as well not start running again because we killed our workout. That is sooooo not true. Hell, that has helped me get faster on longer runs. I will stop and walk a few seconds and drink some water. I actually want to focus on recovery. I am working on doing that during my runs so that I can cycle between high effort and periods of lower effort to recover. Perhaps if you are having significantly slower mile times throughout your 5K, you can practice doing this. Run 1/2 mile at your normal pace, then just slow it way down for 30-60 seconds. Then back to your normal pace for another half mile and so on. Like I said, it's worked for me, but you aren't me so it might not work for you as well.

no bads' there Lee. when i first learned the method and even after starting it i thought it was only slow running. i did apply it, half ass at first, for a long time. i've done, am doing, two speed cycles and will again soon just be doing aerobic running. i didn't believe it but just applied it. after about 6 months of a bit of half assed application did i see a big improvement.

after a bit of reading, debating, and applying i just see this as an easy way to calculate what speed i should run at to improve my aerobic system. i know it's working because i was able to race behind paraganek yesterday and was only 6 mins behind him last week. a big improvement from before.

with as much as i've had to study for school i don't want to have to figure out a work out. calculate Vo2, tempos, intervals, and i don't know what else. all i want to do is run uphill with my friends and not have to walk or beg them to slow down for me.

Damn, where'd my "e" go on breathe? hahaha. :p

BFAA, my post was directed at anyone that feels the need to belittle others over opinions. People often confuse facts with opinions.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid