I want more speed

I would propose that doing something over and over again makes one good at doing it consistently. Making small incremental changes and learning from them is what leads to improvement. Some may do this naturally. Other may benefit from some coaching. In truth, even a coach can't do all the work. It's still up to the person to change.

I'm making some changes without a coach, though I wouldn't say I'm a natural. I'll see where it goes. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: Bare Lee
I would propose that doing something over and over again makes one good at doing it consistently. Making small incremental changes and learning from them is what leads to improvement. Some may do this naturally. Other may benefit from some coaching. In truth, even a coach can't do all the work. It's still up to the person to change.

I'm making some changes without a coach, though I wouldn't say I'm a natural. I'll see where it goes. Thanks for the feedback!

Doing something over and over again CAN lead to consistently running but many times people become injured by running over and over again and thus don't run consistently.

Reactions: Sid
the mind that made the problem can't find the solution.

there's nothing wrong with asking for and getting help. just like there's nothing wrong with running in shoes, sometimes. ;)

Reactions: jldeleon and Sid
Devil,

In what ways did your coaches try to fix runners? Did they have any success? I get the feeling that you recent them more than find what they did to be helpful in any way. As I coach I offer general and specific advice to the group but as issues pop up with individuals I give more specific advice to prevent or heal an injured body part.

Just as I stated, by trying to "correct" their form. For me specifically it was four main things: my ankle support, my stride length, my arm movement (or lack thereof), and my "kick". Others had some similar attempts at "correction" or basically trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This led to many having slower times, increased injuries, and turned quite a few off of running altogether. That is why I believe that you can't "correct" a runner's form. Each person has their own way that their body operates. We have similarities, but a lot of differences. Some are subtle, some not so much. I don't hold anything against the coaches trying to help, but many don't seem to grasp that everyone is unique and you work with their natural abilities. If there was a "correct" way, then we wouldn't have sports stars since anyone could do what they do. A good teacher knows that there is no one right way to learn something because everyone processes information differently and plays to those strengths. Coaches should do the same.

Devil,

Whether or not we can correct runners form is debatable...but I feel obligated to try and help my runners avoid injury and that includes technique work along with other treatment options.

HS (two separate coaches) and one while I was in the Marine Corps who was also a fairly elite runner in his own right. Anyone that can call a 7 min/mile pace for a half marathon a "slow, easy pace" gets to be treated as elite in my book. haha. However, just because something worked for them did not mean that it was the "correct" way. Just sayin'...

I tested my speed out for 2mi yesterday. Managed 10:56. Had an inner squad race in prep for the season races coming up the next view months with my cross country team. I gave them a 1min head start. I knew that two of my guys could run some where around 12 minutes so giving them a minute head start would make me work pretty hard to catch them as I would need to run around 11min. I figured right on the times and I ended up catching them with about half mile to go. I encouraged them to run with me to the end. Of course I could not just let them win :)

Just as I stated, by trying to "correct" their form. For me specifically it was four main things: my ankle support, my stride length, my arm movement (or lack thereof), and my "kick". Others had some similar attempts at "correction" or basically trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This led to many having slower times, increased injuries, and turned quite a few off of running altogether. That is why I believe that you can't "correct" a runner's form. Each person has their own way that their body operates. We have similarities, but a lot of differences. Some are subtle, some not so much. I don't hold anything against the coaches trying to help, but many don't seem to grasp that everyone is unique and you work with their natural abilities. If there was a "correct" way, then we wouldn't have sports stars since anyone could do what they do. A good teacher knows that there is no one right way to learn something because everyone processes information differently and plays to those strengths. Coaches should do the same.

This is the interesting thing about running form- we have no conclusive evidence that anything is really right or wrong... it's all a giant crap shoot.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Mind blowing...simply mind blowing...

I don't use a "method" other than making sure I am feeling the least possible amount of impact and having the most fun, mostly using insight from reading things famous Ken-Bob has said. Also, since my husband is my "coach" he helps me with programs of alternating my types of runs during the week. During a training time, we usually put in one one long, relaxed run; one tempo run; and one interval speed workout. I can do most of it barefoot, but have learned that when I run my long runs with him, I need to be prepared with footwear, since he takes me in strange places. :confused:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test