Barefoot Marathon

Liz

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
I did it! I ran the Flying Pig Marathon this past Sunday barefoot!
If you don't know my story, I'll tell you why this is so important to me.
In 2009, I broke my pelvis while running the Pig Marathon in shoes. While I was healing over about 7 months, I discovered minimalist and barefoot running. When I was able to run again, I started in vffs and moved to barefoot within the month (December 2009). My doctor said I was not healed enough to train for the Pig in 2010. I was able to run a half marathon in March of 2010 in my vffs; a 10K barefoot in July; and a barefoot half marathon in October. I got the ok late last year to train for a full marathon form my doctor. I was determined to finish the Pig this year, barefoot our in vffs, it didn't matter. As I got ready the morning of the race, I thought if I'm going to do this it will be barefoot! I had to put a home-made contraption on my feet for a while in the middle of the run, but it was just a thin piece of suede to cover the ball of my foot. So, I consider it a barefoot run.

My point is not to brag, but to say thank you to all of the BRS members who have given me tips and pointers over the past year and a half that gave me the courage to take on a full marathon barefoot and be successful!

You guys are GREAT! :)

Wow, Liz, what a great

Wow, Liz, what a great story! Congratulations!

You sure broke your pelvis the hard way - most people have to fling themselves down some stairs or step in front of a speeding car to do that. You did it step by step.

Congrats, Liz.  I really want

Congrats, Liz. I really want to know more about the ball of foot contraption you made. If you have a report and pictures you would like to share, we would put it on the home page. I'm sure many more will find it inspiring as well.

Woot!

Woot!

Forgive me for the size of

Forgive me for the size of the image. I am uploading it from my phone, and photobucket mobile will not resize my image. These are Foot Undies that I purchased from a dance store, but they are not sturdy enough for running outdoors. I used liquid stitch to glue a piece of suede to the bottom, then stitched them together on my sewing machine. Then I stitched elastic to each side. The Foot Undies are a perfect base because they are snug fitting spandex which keeps debris out.

How many miles did you get

How many miles did you get out of them for the marathon, and how many miles total before they wore out, if they wore out yet?

TJ- They are holding up

TJ- They are holding up great. I'm not sure how many miles I've put on them because I only use them when I need to.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7