Am I the only one?

I guess this goes back to the

I guess this goes back to the other thread, Matt, but why not just run in something minimal rather than give up on running through the winter altogether?

Barefoot TJ wrote:I guess

Barefoot TJ said:
I guess this goes back to the other thread, Matt, but why not just run in something minimal rather than give up on running through the winter altogether?

TJ I have noticed that I just don't enjoy runs anymore with shoes. I am actually skipping runs rather than wearing my vff's this winter, not really sure why. Maybe becasue I'm already stuck wearing shoes 40 hours a week and I hate wearing them for any additional time.

What about huaraches with

What about huaraches with wool socks? I used an alternative tying method, so the strapping doesn't go through my toes, and I don't have to wear toe socks. Other than the fact that my toes want to grip the ground over the lip of the huarache, I don't notice I am wearing them. You probably won't even have the same problem.

Abide wrote:Barefoot TJ

Abide said:
Barefoot TJ said:
TJ I have noticed that I just don't enjoy runs anymore with shoes. I am actually skipping runs rather than wearing my vff's this winter, not really sure why. Maybe becasue I'm already stuck wearing shoes 40 hours a week and I hate wearing them for any additional time.
I think a lot of it comes down to darkness and cold, too. Up here in Chicago, the sun hides for all of November and December. That takes some of the fun out of running.

But I haven't stopped yet, though. I still plan on doing my usual Sunday run tomorrow, even with a few inches of snow, slush, ice, and salt on the roads (in aquasocks of course).

wish that were the case for

wish that were the case for me, I"m loathing the fact I have to wear shoes on my runs now. Damn MN winters.

I would never miss a run just

I would never miss a run just because I had to put something on my feet, that is crazy talk. Takes me awhile, but once it gets in the low 20's, and I reunite my Vibrams, it's all gravy.

Being to pretentious about footwear is what gives barefoot runners a bad name.

I can't run right now because

I can't run right now because I am recuperating from a cold -

However, we have had 10F windchills and snow every day for 2 weeks.

My plan as I may have written already is

sealskinz inside some flimsy water shoes. If this doesn't keep my Raynaud's feet warm enough I'll put some warmer socks in the sealskinz. It's all a great experiment to be able to run correctly, isn't it?!

I hope to be ok enough to try this tomorrow!!!

I love being outside and running and I love running when the snow is falling - very peaceful and meditative.

I will try to get some BF time in at the local indoor track.

I only like shopping for

I only like shopping for certain things and not this time of year. I need a new pair of jeans and maybe some cute undies but other than that.....

I cleverly keep my blog going and ask companies to send me their products to try out so I can write blog reviews about them. I just held several giveaways on said blog to find homes for the stuff that I didn't like so someone else can try it.

I like shoes if they don't hurt my feet, they keep me warm in the winter, or are flip flops in the summer. I love flip flops and cute boots for winter. I am still not sure about minimal shoes at this point.

As of my last couple cold weather runs, socks have been the best.

Adam G. wrote:I would never

Adam G. said:
I would never miss a run just because I had to put something on my feet, that is crazy talk.

This is why I have a hard time calling myself a runner. I like to run, but hell, give me an excuse and I would be happy to skip a run. Most of you love to run but it doesn't resonate with me like that. Once I run the marathon in January, I'm planning on taking a long time off from running any race longer than a half. Right now it's not apriority for me to commit that kind of time to running a race. Down the road when I have more free time on my hands I'll probably be more like a real runner :)

For me as long as I get some type of physical activity I'm happy.

Angie Bee wrote:As of my last

Angie Bee said:
As of my last couple cold weather runs, socks have been the best.

I completely forgot about running in socks. I never wear them anymore and have a stack sitting in my closet. Thanks for the reminder Angie.

Abide- Wow you are doing a

Abide-

Wow you are doing a marathon in Jan and plan to "only" do halfs and you say you don't consider yourself a runner??????

I have been running for two years and am finally up to 8.5 miles. I am impressed by what you can do!

Yes, I do love it and do run about 4 or 5 days a week ( except for this past week because of a dorky cold ).

But, I am slowly working my way to do a 10 mile or maybe even a half next year sometime. Every extra mile I can do I consider an accomplishment.

Actually, now that I have discovered how great I feel BF I am really hopng to get more miles worked up when the weather breaks because I think I run better and easier that way.

So, Abide, you are a runner and I, for one, think what you have done is terrific.

Time is a big factor with doing distances and I think I can speak for most here that when folks work a full time job and have other commitments to family etc it is hard to make the time.

I am lucky in that I work per diem and when I do work 3 days a week I get off at 1300 so have a lot of daylight to get out there.

Give yourself a huge pat on the back, please!!!! You can do a marathon!!! WOW

I'm with Hoop on the socks,

I'm with Hoop on the socks, the are great for dry cold (I've only gone down to upper 20s with them though). Hoop, what's the coldest you've ventured into with just your socks?

I'm a complete shoe whore.  I

I'm a complete shoe whore. I will try almost anything at least a few times. Part of it is a search for a better solution when I need shoes, part of it is just a weird fascination. I do like trying to influence design. Of course, I haven't purchased a pair in about four years...

Sometims we say "I must be

Sometims we say "I must be getting old" when what is actually happening is the incursion of some good sense.

Another problem some people have is "stuffosis" which in its more acute phase turns into "stufftoxicity." The only reliable cure for them is a well developed reflex toward "stuffaversion."

Shoes can definitely tun into stuff for some people.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts