Mileage Reporting 16th Week of 2013

So much easier for some reason, and I really don't have a solid explanation for it other than it feels easier and fun.
For me I think it feels easier because my gait mechanics just seem to fall into place when I run barefoot. Yesterday I thought about putting on my Vapor Gloves, to give my abraded soles a break, but I just don't like running that way as much. I don't feel quite as smooth.

And I remember 10 years ago, the last time I ran consistently for a few years, I ran shod and never felt like running more than five miles. That was always enough. Now I enjoy running longer distances, just my legs' conditioning is holding me back.

For me I think it feels easier because my gait mechanics just seem to fall into place when I run barefoot. Yesterday I thought about putting on my Vapor Gloves, to give my abraded soles a break, but I just don't like running that way as much. I don't feel quite as smooth.
I think this is it for me too Lee. Hopefully I can get this problem with my ankle/foot (peroneal longus tendon [sp?]) figured out like they figured out my heel and then I can get really running again.

Too soon to tell. The sprouts (radish, peas, spinich) were just coming up and had snow cover. They should be ok. The cabbage and brussel sprout transplants might be damaged, but more from the wind the last 4 days. Did you get the same cold front in Idaho?
It snowed, but didn't stick. My little cabbage and broccoli sprouts seem fine so far. I have enough volunteer lettuce to feed you all!

Got to the spinning bike early today for 60 minutes with moderate intervals. Then, I trapped my first skunk in the backyard. It's been an interesting day...

Your daughters fixing skunk tonight for supper? You could turn the hide into some nice moccasins. ;) That would get some looks I'm guessing.

Yah, we'll see, I'll be running more this year than last if I continue to run injury-free, and that in-and-of-itself should lead to improvements, but I'm also going to seek out rougher surfaces from time to time, as part of a well-rounded BFR diet and its four food groups: One serving of pace, one serving of distance, one serving of terrain, one serving of surface.

You ran a marathon on fairly rough asphalt last year, right? Pretty impressive.

Again the term "run" comes into question. I did run the first half of the marathon, the second half was a cycle of trot, cramp, stretch and rub, walk, repeat. I don't know if my definition of rough matches anyone else's. Ken Bob would probably breeze through my rough chip seal conditions. I would have described the course of 1/3 mild chip seal, 1/3 moderate, and 1/3 rough. But given that the rough was also on the steepest grade and then the heat kicked in, it made even the mild chip seal tough by the end of the race. I hope to redeem myself someday, but right now I have no desire to log long distances on chip seal even though my feet are much more conditioned now.

I did get a run in today. 6.5 shod miles (windchill in the 20s). Because of the pace discussion earlier, I made today's goal a consistent pace. Since I might be pacing a runner in the Zion 100 Saturday morning, and I am sure that he/she would appreciate a pace that is not all over the place, I tried to hold a 12 mm pace start to finish. Came pretty close at an average of 11 min 20 sec. a mile. A fun experiment trying to run slow and be consistent.

I have been slack this week in my reporting, but here we go (so far)
Monday 15.5km (9.6mi) , nice run on Geneva's old town pavements (this is my favourite surface so far, love it !)

Wednesday 11.1km (7mi), country side run....Enjoyed the soft, wet soil, as in Australia it is rarely that soft and nice, even after a good rain

My feet had to get used to 'colder' ground, and had to adjust my schedule, I felt I needed a day recovery in between.

In general, the bitumen is really nice and smooth here, but found some areas that are really rough, where the surface hasn't been done for 30-40 years or so

Wednesday afternoon.

Did my revised "Middle" ST workout, which is my old Back ST workout with some stuff from my cannibalized Top ST workout rolled in. Man, that's a lot of stuff to do. Now I'm wondering if my three-days-a-week st schedule should be more of a HIIT workout (High Intensity Interval Training), in order to get all the exercises in, or perhaps more realistically a MIIT workout--(Medium Intensity Interval Training). And then on alternate weeks I could do my regular four-days-a-week st schedule, which involves the same amount of exercises, and do them at a somewhat more leisurely pace, but push the max weights a bit more during those workouts. So, the obsessive mind insists on plotting it out:

Max Weights
Su: ST-Bottom
M: ST-Front
Tu: Run-Intervals/Tempo
W: ST-Back
Th: Run-Hills
F: ST-Top
Sa: Run-LSD

MIIT
Su: Rest
M: ST-Bottom
Tu: Run-Intervals/Tempo
W: ST-Middle
Th: Run-Hills
F: ST-Top
Sa: Run-LSD

Or I suppose I could just start the three-day-a-week workouts 20-30 minutes earlier, so I have time to push the max weights a bit too.

Anyway, still loving the wood choppers, and my new $35 HemingWeigh® foam pad came in really handy for doing back extensions with the stability ball (yes, I spent $35 on a piece of rubber, and it was actually one of the cheaper ones out there). Now I can tuck my legs under the bench without discomfort while I lie on top of the ball at a 45-degree angle, similar to this video but with my feet braced under the bench (with some weights on top of the bench), which allows me put the ball closer to my legs, gaining greater leverage and thus movement in the extension, and allows me to do it holding a 25lb-plate to my chest without rolling forward:
I then follow the extensions with side crunches, again with the legs braced under the bench and the ball placed closer to the legs:
And then Pikes on the suspension straps (that's actually me with my gal pal Mitzi Traynor):
And a few other things using the straps. Wow, great way to attack the back without stressing it too much.

Today we're supposed to get five inches of snow. I'll use that as an excuse to run shod and give my abraded soles a rest. There's one spot on the outside of my right forefoot that's especially painful after I run. Maybe today's the day I get back into some hill training. It would be the first of the season, except it's going to snow, so it's still the old season, right? Running hills today would make the slog through the wet snow more tolerable I think, since I'd already be going slow and working the quads on hills. The snow will just add to the workout.

Good news. Finally back under 220 lbs, no dieting, just daily exercise. I think Scedastic's right though, some of the weight gain since last fall has gone to the upper body. Still, wanna get down to 200 some time this year.

Bad news. I knew this was coming, but now it's official: my wife has prohibited me from running in any mass event races. I could argue it, give her stats about the likelihood of dying in a car crash versus a terrorist attack, and so on, but it's not worth the stress it would cause her. So I guess I'm going to stay stuck as an ordinary recreational runner. There's a chance she could change her mind by the time of the Minnesota Half Marathon in August, but not likely.

It comes a little bit as a relief, as I can now really 'just run,' with no concern at all for rate of improvement, and really stick to my mantra of letting pace and distance come to me, and not go chasing after them. Still, I was kind of looking forward to the half. I think I probably would've been ready by then. Maybe even could've met my goal of running it in two hours. Oh well. Hopefully I can still meet up with Dutchie and Dama pre- or post-race. It would be good to confirm that we're not all just internet-savvy chipmunks.

Again the term "run" comes into question. I did run the first half of the marathon, the second half was a cycle of trot, cramp, stretch and rub, walk, repeat. I don't know if my definition of rough matches anyone else's. Ken Bob would probably breeze through my rough chip seal conditions. I would have described the course of 1/3 mild chip seal, 1/3 moderate, and 1/3 rough. But given that the rough was also on the steepest grade and then the heat kicked in, it made even the mild chip seal tough by the end of the race. I hope to redeem myself someday, but right now I have no desire to log long distances on chip seal even though my feet are much more conditioned now.

Yah, we'll see how long I stick with the idea of pushing my tolerances in this area. It's definitely not something I'll seek out on every run, but I do like the idea of adding surface type into the mix of BFR parameters that I'd like to improve upon, along with pace, distance, and terrain (hills).

WUSS :playful:

Jog? Actually, I skipped. You know, it's not nice to mock the recovering injured :D

:sorry: :sorry: :sorry:
I forgot that you were injured but still ;)
when I comeback to "running" after my hip heals is going to be your turn to mock me :(

@Lee, how can she do this to you? I know every man should listen to their wife but come on one can't and shouldn't live life on fear of the what ifs?
Seriuosly, that's is really too bad that you won't be able to participate, oh wait I am not sure myself if I would be up to the distance by that time don't know how long this injury is going to take to heal. I REALLY hope she would change her mind in the meantime keep training just in case;).

@Lee, how can she do this to you? I know every man should listen to their wife but come on one can't and shouldn't live life on fear of the what ifs?
Seriuosly, that's is really too bad that you won't be able to participate, oh wait I am not sure myself if I would be up to the distance by that time don't know how long this injury is going to take to heal. I REALLY hope she would change her mind in the meantime keep training just in case;).
Yah, my wife's hyper-vigilant, mostly her nature, but she did grow up during a civil war, and she's lost a good deal of her side of the family to disease. It's hard enough to get her to accept that you can't get a cold from cold feet. America in all its facets is still a bit alien to her, including cold weather and senseless massacre. I don't think I'll win this one, but who knows? Maybe in a few months, and depending on what conclusions the FBI comes to, it might still be possible. But I do like the idea that I can continue running 9-10 miles for my weekend LSD run for however long it takes for that distance to become comfortable before pushing on to greater distances. With the half mary 'training' I needed to bump up to 11 miles in May. Not sure that's going to happen, unless I start cherry-picking easy, boring routes.

when I comeback to "running" after my hip heals is going to be your turn to mock me :(

Oh, I will. You betcha. Believe you me. Uh, huh. You can take that to the bank and smoke it (OK, mixed my metaphors, there)..

Bad news. I knew this was coming, but now it's official: my wife has prohibited me from running in any mass event races. I could argue it, give her stats about the likelihood of dying in a car crash versus a terrorist attack, and so on, but it's not worth the stress it would cause her. So I guess I'm going to stay stuck as an ordinary recreational runner. There's a chance she could change her mind by the time of the Minnesota Half Marathon in August, but not likely.

In my younger and dumber days, I would have busted your balls over succumbing to such wifely pressures. But now that I'm older and dumber (I'm older, but not necessarily wiser) I can appreciate your position. I dread the day that I'll meet someone and she'll be scared that I ride a motorcycle and I'll have to make "The Decision".

my wife's hyper-vigiliante

I know you were trying to say "hyper-vigilant", but when I saw "hyper-vigilante" (with the "e" at the end), I thought, "His wife is Charles Bronson?"

In my younger and dumber days, I would have busted your balls over succumbing to such wifely pressures. But now that I'm older and dumber (I'm older, but not necessarily wiser) I can appreciate your position. I dread the day that I'll meet someone and she'll be scared that I ride a motorcycle and I'll have to make "The Decision".

I know you were trying to say "hyper-vigilant", but when I saw "hyper-vigilante" (with the "e" at the end), I thought, "His wife is Charles Bronson?"
Ha! My wife is cuter.

A little slip of the Portuguese tongue there. We talk to each other in Portuguese, so thinking of her, I must've briefly slipped into Lusophonia. The extra 'i' though, I can't explain. I've gone back and edited it for future posteriors.

But yah, the wifely concern is supposedly in my best interests, and not just party-poopping, so I guess I can't complain too much. Better than a spouse who was trying to off me, right?

Motorcycles? I crashed one when I was 18--wasn't my fault, a car didn't see me--and have only gotten back on one a few times since.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts