Mileage Reporting 16th Week of 2013

28.68 mile trail run.
Yay my first Ultra distance and a tick off the old bucket list.

That's so awesome, I can only dream of running that distance again.

Reactions: skedaddle
Thursday: 40 min swim
Friday: 55 min swim
45 min at the gym.
horrible nasty no good rotten freezing snowing gusting blowing unpleasant untimely inconvenient WEATHER makes me want to work out indoors by this time in APRIL. Mother Nature seems to not care what I think. Hmmmm...............................................................

1.11 miles all with barefeet. 50degF and rainy and felt great. Now time to go to dr although I find myself questioning the need to go as today and yesterday my foot/ankle has done really pretty well.

Don't, take that silly thought out of your mind and get your hiney back to the Dr.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
I made it 13.1 miles, ... my average pace was 9 mm.
28.68 mile trail run.
Yay my first Ultra distance and a tick off the old bucket list.
Great jobs Laura and Ske! Very inspiring.

Don't, take that silly thought out of your mind and get your hiney back to the Dr.
I agree with Dama, best get it checked out, since it seems to be a recurring problem. You wanna get this thing fixed once and for all.

I went so don't worry folks, and I found a barefoot friendly dr that is NOT Dr Ray here and this guy accepts insurance! Woohoo!!!! Ok so we are going to do an MRI after all. He does not think I have a torn peroneal tendon. I was actually sitting on the chair with my feet facing straight out as they had raised the leg part. He walked in and we talked a little bit and I mentioned that I hated running in these shoes I had with me, but they fit the shape of my feet better than most shoes. He asked me if the shoes were to inflexible in the midfoot. Wow. He knew that just by looking at the shoes and my feet. He proceeded to say he thought I had high arches just from the shape of my feet while sitting like that but he noticed both the other podiatrists had noted in my file that I had collapsed arches or normal arches (yes I know you can't tell anything while sitting down, I'm getting to that part of the story). This made him wonder if I had really flexible feet that had a high range of motion. He played around with my feet for a couple minutes and then had me stand and he was shocked at how much my feet bend and flex. He actually thought I had strong feet because of all this flexibility. He thinks what is really causing the binding is that maybe the muscle may be large and extend down the tendon farther than normal, which could be what is binding things up. He did note too that I had an odd shape to my feet and he could completely understand why I didn't like running in shoes. He told me to continue running barefoot or in my huaraches and just listen to my body and if it starts hurting, stop. We will get the mri and he told me he does not want me in orthotics nor does he want me in shoes. It was a breath of fresh air to have a dr that didn't care what I had on my feet. He actually seemed very excited that I was a true minimalist/barefeeter.

I went so don't worry folks, and I found a barefoot friendly dr that is NOT Dr Ray here and this guy accepts insurance! Woohoo!!!!
He actually thought I had strong feet because of all this flexibility. He thinks what is really causing the binding is that maybe the muscle may be large and extend down the tendon farther than normal, which could be what is binding things up. He did note too that I had an odd shape to my feet and he could completely understand why I didn't like running in shoes. He told me to continue running barefoot or in my huaraches and just listen to my body and if it starts hurting, stop.
he does not want me in orthotics nor does he want me in shoes. It was a breath of fresh air to have a dr that didn't care what I had on my feet. He actually seemed very excited that I was a true minimalist/barefeeter.
That is very exciting!

Thanks everyone for your inspiration and support, couldn't have done it without you all:)

Congratulations! How was it?
The first 18 or so miles were fine and I kept a steady pace, from then on I just found myself talking to sheep a lot.
I just followed two rules, 'walk the steeper inclines' and 'don't stop moving' which seemed to be a good combination for me.
The hardest part was around mile 20 where I had to climb back up to a ridge, from then on I knew I had it cracked as I was back on my usual training rout.

Last couple of days winter was back again. Snow melted today with temps in upper 40's so ran BF 3.2 miles this evening. Had a good run and ran a 8:21 m/m pace. Plan a run tomorrow as temps to be 55. Sure loosing the padding I had built up. Too much shoes and socks I imagine. Gonna have to get out the gravel bucket again. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I don't have PTSD, and I don't like big crowds either.

FWIW I don't like to be around lots of people either. My friends always joke about me becoming Amish, lots of them around here, but I could never give up my computer! Online is about the only place I like to be social. I do like the smaller races, probably every race since a year ago except one or two has been under 500 ppl, and half of them actually under 200 I think. But I don't mind being in a big race every once in a while, I do enjoy it. Got the Capital City Half Marathon coming up in 2 weeks I am super excited for, last year I think was 8 or 9 thousand. This will be my first time doing the half there, I have done the 5k there I think 3 years in a row. I just enjoy coming home and being able to sit out in the yard without a neighbor in sight, well almost.

Friday afternoon
Top3 ST workout

(Top3 = one of three weekly st workouts [top, middle, bottom]; Top4 = one of four weekly st workouts [top, bottom, front, back]. Linguists love neologisms and categorization.)

Good pump, did 215 x 1 and 195 x3 so I'm almost back to where I was last year on the bench press, and close to 1 rep BW (body weight) so that feels good. Ideally I'd like to get up to 10 reps BW or 1 rep at 1.5 BW, but I don't know if that's still possible at my age. Everything else went well too, shoulder feels fine again so I did my dips, and I did a bunch of incline sit-ups too, as part of my spring ab campaign. Feeling a bit of a sore throat, but will hopefully motivate for another run down to the river later today. Yesterday's 7-8 inches of snow are completely gone from the street, so hopefully most of it will be gone from the river's paths too, although there might be salt residue.

I found out why the outside of my right forefoot has felt especially abraded for two weeks. I had something lodged in there. That's a hard part of the body to see, so I had to use my shaving mirror and a little exacto knife blade to dig in there. Some clear liquid came out, and now if feels much better. One of the draw backs to being somewhat insensate I guess, is not always knowing when to take something seriously.

FWIW I don't like to be around lots of people either. My friends always joke about me becoming Amish, lots of them around here, but I could never give up my computer! Online is about the only place I like to be social. I do like the smaller races, probably every race since a year ago except one or two has been under 500 ppl, and half of them actually under 200 I think. But I don't mind being in a big race every once in a while, I do enjoy it. Got the Capital City Half Marathon coming up in 2 weeks I am super excited for, last year I think was 8 or 9 thousand. This will be my first time doing the half there, I have done the 5k there I think 3 years in a row. I just enjoy coming home and being able to sit out in the yard without a neighbor in sight, well almost.

Probably a dumb question, but how do you find out about the smaller races?

It was a breath of fresh air to have a dr that didn't care what I had on my feet. He actually seemed very excited that I was a true minimalist/barefeeter.
Sounds like you traded up Nick! Very happy for your progress.

Speaking of races, I had originally signed up for a half tomorrow, but after my 10k last weekend (I changed my avatar as a pic after that race :snaphappy:) my feet were kind of raw and still hadnt fully recovered from being raw and blistered a couple weeks prior even. So I decided not to race, and downgraded to the 4 miler to run with my friend (the one in the avatar too). Then a few days ago I find out my friend had an mri done on a lump on her leg and they said it was a bakers cyst and not to run. Bummer! Now the weather forecast says 28 degrees, way too cold for me barefoot. So without my friend or being able to run barefoot I'm just going to DNE. Might actually go for a long run in the afternoon, suppose to be into the mid 50's by then.

And to tally up my miles for the week... I spent mon-thur at a work conference in Louisiana, got small runs in each day, two 3 milers and two 1 milers so about 8 miles during the week, and an 8 miler yesterday for 16mi, plus the 10k and warmup I did last sunday puts me at about 23mi. With the big Half on the two week horizon, I'm going to do a couple quick trainings runs then start to taper I think. Long run tomorrow, maybe 10-12 miles, then some speed intervals on Tuesday. Then easy runs starting with 8 miles at easy pace, and working down in mileage up until the race. I'm a bit concerned I havent been up to the half mileage yet set last September. And I havent even been to double digit mileage in a few weeks since I rubbed my pads raw. I wonder if I should just do 10 tomorrow, and then another long run later next week or next weekend 12-13 miles. I just worry if my feet start getting raw next weekend, that a week wont be enough recovery time until the race. Now Dama is going to call me a worry wart. :p

Lee, I guess I've looked online for the small races and then Jen, Mike, or Dan told me about the small trail race that I liked. I think you might be able to find local races on active.com maybe.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Friday afternoon
Probably a dumb question, but how do you find out about the smaller races?
The couple groups that organize most of the races have them all on their websites. But you don't know how big they are usually, they are listed right along with the big races. But I'll poke around in the results posted from the previous year to see how many people ran it last year. Most race websites have the previous years results still available so thats a good indication. My 10k last weekend was a new event, so I figured it would be small. A couple small local races, which are not sponsored by the big organizations that dont show up on the big race sites, I found out about those in the local paper / flyers.