Mileage Reporting 16th Week of 2013

My first thought was RunningPirate placed a stamp on his forehead at the post office and mailed him self home. :)

Do you know how many "forever" stamps it takes to mail a 215 lb dude? Well, me neither...but I bet it's a lot....Probably cheaper to hire a moving company or a freight forwarder...

Monday, something came up just when I was all primed for my Bottom st workout. Dammit. I like to begin thinking about my workout or run earlier in the day and get good and psyched for it, so when I have to cancel it's a real letdown.

So yesterday, Tuesday, after two days off, I knocked off work a half hour early to get in the essentials of the missed workout, doing fast, sub-max sets so that I wouldn't be too worn out for my scheduled run afterwards: deadlifts, squats, leg extensions, leg curls, hip thrusters, and then a new one, Nordic Curls.
Thanks for the shitty music dude, but I appreciate the brevity. Nothing worse than those YouTube videos where some yahoo spends five minutes telling you how good the exercise is for your core or something before actually demonstrating it. Not sure how much good this one does, but I'll give it a try for a few weeks and then reevaluate. I got the foam pad just special for it, so I hope it works out. If not, the pad will still come in handy for back extensions. The new-gear addiction continues untreated.

Then I parked the car near my son's day care and set out on a five-mile route on the suburban thoroughfares there. It was a beautiful sunny day finally, and I could run with just a single layer. The first half-mile was mild chipseal. My feet were still a bit abraded from Saturday's run, but recovering, so, since I didn't have time to run very far, I thought a little chipseal would do me some good, help condition my feet further. Plus, after waiting all winter long for this kind of weather, and putting up with feet-numbing temps, I was very disinclined to run shod in such perfect conditions. The little snow and moisture that was leftover from last week's snowfalls felt refreshingly cool.

But I had forgotten that this was the same route and area that had abraded my feet to begin with, 10 days earlier, when it was icy wet. The whole route was covered with small debris (presumably shaved off the streets' asphalt by the snow plows), sand, and small rocks, and only had about a mile of smooth concrete underneath. The other sub-debris surfaces varied from smooth asphalt, medium grade chipseal, and a coarse sandpaper-like gravel finish on a half-mile section where I had to run on the road's narrow shoulder. This is the great thing about barefootn'--you notice stuff no one else notices. I really hate running on busy roads' shoulders though, you're just one distracting cell phone call away from becoming crow food.

My pace progressively dropped from a nice, comfortable 9:30 mm pace to plodding about a minute per mile slower as the constant abrading wore on my already somewhat sore soles. Plus, this route wasn't very pleasant during rush hour. Even on the sidewalks and bike paths, the noise from the traffic zooming by was annoying. The last time I ran in this area was on a Saturday afternoon, when most of the traffic was concentrated in and around the shopping areas. This time it was everywhere along the route. At one point, close to the end, a suburbanite about my age hanging out in the front yard seated on the top tube of his mountain bike and dressed like a teenager signaled for me to stop as he approached me with gliding strides. I thought he wanted to ask about barefoot running. No, he wanted to warn me that at the intersection ahead there was a patch of glass on the northwest corner. Oh, OK, thanks. I guess you don't have to be a barefooter to notice that. And sure enough, there was a huge patch of broken car glass scattered along the street and well up into the sidewalks. With the heads-up, I was prepared and deftly navigated my way through it. Then a little further on there was some broken bottle glass, and for that I slowed down to a walk. There's a huge difference between windshield glass and bottle glass; the latter can do some serious lacerating.

I guess I'll have to nix this route. Too much traffic, especially around the shopping area. I don't mind the debris too much--it's good conditioning--although a couple of rocks cut up into my heel fissures. Ouch. I always get heel fissures in the spring. A seasonal thing I guess. So anyway, I'm still looking for a decent route on the way or close to my son's new day care.

After dinner went around the block with the kids collecting twigs, bark, pebbles and stuff. Debris is a lot more interesting from their perspective. My Moc3s felt heavenly on my sore soles. I love those shoes, and they look so cool. I wonder if getting the Vapor Gloves was really necessary after all, but for some reason I like their snugger fit when I run. Probably just a psychological thing, I doubt there's much physical difference, the VP's tread isn't much of an improvement, and I would rather support a small business like Soft Star.

Anyhow, today, I'll try to add what I missed from yesterday's Bottom ST workout to today's Back ST workout. I feel pleasantly sore, looking forward to it. Taking two days off was rough.

Rain and snow forecast for today and tomorrow. Does RunningPirate have a guest bedroom?

I am still trying to bounce back after that nearly month of sickness and am still trying to get fully normal.
I've had prolonged viral stuff a couple of times in my life. Once for six weeks, and then this last winter for about four weeks. It takes a long time afterwards to regain you energy. You're wise to take it easy until you feel 100%.

Did a half mile, Lung O fire, butt cheeks slapping against my thighs, man boobs flopping around so violently I am surprised my T shirt did not remove my nips!
Gotta little work ahead of me :D

Won't be able to get that image out of my head now-THANKS A LOT:yuck:

Went to the gym and did a short 30 minute ST workout. I am still trying to bounce back after that nearly month of sickness and am still trying to get fully normal. I was extremely weak so I only did 1/3 of my normal workout (chest, triceps, and biceps). I decided to listen to my body and go home, and now I realize I may not have listened soon enough. Feeling pretty sick right now (I think from exerting too much energy when my body isn't fully back to feeling 100% yet, not because I am still sick). Getting back to my healthy eating too should help. Seems when you're sick one tends to want easy foods, which we know are not often healthy foods. Hopefully in another week I will start feeling more normal.

Normal?:wideeyed: have you ever being normal?:wacky:

Reactions: NickW

That's why I'm not posting any of my times lately.:) I did have a 5 mile run in 42 minutes last week. Fastest run in months, but it came with some heel pain after, I'll be keeping it slow.

With 3 inches of snow on the ground and 22 degrees F. right now, I'm looking at afternoon to run, if at all. Gambled on an early garden and lost.

That's why I'm not posting any of my times lately.:) I did have a 5 mile run in 42 minutes last week. Fastest run in months, but it came with some heel pain after, I'll be keeping it slow.

With 3 inches of snow on the ground and 22 degrees F. right now, I'm looking at afternoon to run, if at all. Gambled on an early garden and lost.

You know that I am just giving pirate hard times I would do anything right now to be running at any speed really and you should be posting your times it helps you to improve as a runner.
BTW any speed is better than no speed as in living on your couch.
Good job on the 5 miler. Yikes 22 degs and snow-brrrrr. I thought it was Spring already.

:sorry: did you lose plants?

I've had prolonged viral stuff a couple of times in my life. Once for six weeks, and then this last winter for about four weeks. It takes a long time afterwards to regain you energy. You're wise to take it easy until you feel 100%.
Ya, this ear infection was due to a perforated ear drum I've been dealing with for 8-9 years or so. Happened while I was in the military and they never got it healed properly, so I usually get one to two ear infections a year from it. Never ever this bad though. This one was bad lasting much longer, then add in the flu like symptoms I had for a little bit and it got really bad. Feeling pretty good now and I think the perforated ear drum is nearly healed too now. I'm still getting off balance and disoriented a bit from all the noises (seem to be hearing just a little better out of my normally deaf ear). I am definitely glad to be on the upside now.

Normal?:wideeyed: have you ever being normal?:wacky:
Surprisingly, I used to be normalish with zero injuries at one point. Ran for 9 months or so barefoot before my heel started bothering me. Now I've had that bad foot for a year and a half or so...

So you guys are getting endless winter down there too, eh? Sorry to hear about the garden.
As for times, I would take 42 minutes for five miles. Of course, pace in an of itself means nothing without taking into account surface and terrain, especially when barefootn' it. I saw my pace over pretty flat terrain fall by at least a minute per mile yesterday when the surface got rough. When I got to a section of medium grade chipseal covered with small debris I was over 11mm. One of my goals is to improve my tolerances for rougher surfaces, but I think they'll always be a factor. You run on pretty rough stuff, right?

you should be posting your times it helps you to improve as a runner.

I've been meaning to use Phalen Lake as a basis for measuring my running fitness. It's not completely flat, but the asphalt path is pretty uniformly smooth, and it's almost exactly three miles in circumference, so perhaps every month or so I should go over there and run a 5K at tempo pace and see if there's been any improvement. Meanwhile, hopefully the nearby hs track will soon dry out so I can start doing intervals there again.

How's the hip anyway?

I really shouldn't tell you. Fresh lettuce salad (picked straight from the garden) with home made cream salad dressing http://dailyimprovisations.com/basic-creamy-salad-dressing/ plus, steak, garlic and sour cream mashed potatoes. Home canned peaches on the side. Then, homemade chocolate chocolate chip cookies. I told them they were not inspiring me to be a responsible mother and cook for them!:happy:
Sounds delish! I would love to have a set-up like that someday . . .

You know that I am just giving pirate hard times I would do anything right now to be running at any speed really and you should be posting your times it helps you to improve as a runner.
BTW any speed is better than no speed as in living on your couch.
Good job on the 5 miler. Yikes 22 degs and snow-brrrrr. I thought it was Spring already.

Oh, I know. Good ol' Pirate can take some teasing. I look forward to getting out of recovery mode and back into improving mode.

:sorry: did you lose plants?

Too soon to tell. The sprouts (radish, peas, spinich) were just coming up and had snow cover. They should be ok. The cabbage and brussel sprout transplants might be damaged, but more from the wind the last 4 days. Did you get the same cold front in Idaho?

So you guys are getting endless winter down there too, eh? Sorry to hear about the garden.
As for times, I would take 42 minutes for five miles. Of course, pace in an of itself means nothing without taking into account surface and terrain, especially when barefootn' it. I saw my pace over pretty flat terrain fall by at least a minute per mile yesterday when the surface got rough. When I got to a section of medium grade chipseal covered with small debris I was over 11mm. One of my goals is to improve my tolerances for rougher surfaces, but I think they'll always be a factor.

Had hints of Summer, then Spring, then back to Winter. It can change in a moment. I go out on the 4-wheeler and have to bring a whole set of winter clothes if the conditions change suddenly. I hear you about the pace. Very dependent on the surface conditions. Slower on the rocks and gravel and then I let it fly on the smooth dirt sections. I think you will notice a big improvement in your tolerance this summer. I'm very happy about mine, and I haven't even been running much.

As for times, I would take 42 minutes for five miles. Of course, pace in an of itself means nothing without taking into account surface and terrain, especially when barefootn' it. I saw my pace over pretty flat terrain fall by at least a minute per mile yesterday when the surface got rough. When I got to a section of medium grade chipseal covered with small debris I was over 11mm. One of my goals is to improve my tolerances for rougher surfaces, but I think they'll always be a factor. You run on pretty rough stuff, right?

I've been meaning to use Phalen Lake as a basis for measuring my running fitness. It's not completely flat, but the asphalt path is pretty uniformly smooth, and it's almost exactly three miles in circumference, so perhaps every month or so I should go over there and run a 5K at tempo pace and see if there's been any improvement. Meanwhile, hopefully the nearby hs track will soon dry out so I can start doing intervals there again.

How's the hip anyway?

I think I much prefer a rough surface than a running track, rough running surfaces teaches me to lift, lift, lif my feet once I get used to it I can run just fine on it.
The park along the river that I run on at noon is of a medium surface, not too rough but just rough enough to let me know that I haven't ran on it for a while.
My hip sometimes it feels like is on the mend and sometimes is very painful like right now, I guess it all depends on how bad the back has collapsed.
I found a place were I am going to be making an appointment for a new physical therapist the have all types of techiques...Granston,ART, ASTYM, dry needle technique and other stuff. My current therapist only does ultrasound and manual massage so it's time for a change-I think.

Reactions: NickW
I think I much prefer a rough surface than a running track, rough running surfaces teaches me to lift, lift, lif my feet once I get used to it I can run just fine on it.

My nearby track is very nice--sandy gravel. Abrasive, for good sole-conditioning, but pretty evenly abrasive, so I don't have to be very careful of my step. I can run 7mm pace on a 44o, and 8mm for a mile, which is good for me. I'm expecting to improve on that this year. Hopefully the track'll have dried out within the week and I can do one day a week of interval work. It's on the way to my son's new day care, so that would also partly solve the problem of finding decent routes on the way or nearby.

As for lifting the feet, I've never understood that, but if it works for you and others, I'm all for it. Either I do that naturally, as surfaces get rougher, or I'm doing it all wrong and blissfully ignorant of my horrible form. I'll stick to lifting weights.

The park along the river that I run on at noon is of a medium surface, not too rough but just rough enough to let me know that I haven't ran on it for a while.

That sounds like what I've been describing as 'mild chipseal.' There's a few places around with those kinds of paths. It slows me up a bit, but not much. I can usually maintain a decent tempo pace on it. But once it's more like what I would call 'medium chipseal' I start to slow down significantly, at least 30 seconds per mile, probably more like 60-90 seconds per mile. And the last time I ran on pure gravel for any length of time, I was up over 13 mm I think. I would like to get that down to 11-12 mm or so, maybe even 10mm. Then I would feel like a real barefoot runner.

My hip sometimes it feels like is on the mend and sometimes is very painful like right now, I guess it all depends on how bad the back has collapsed.
I found a place were I am going to be making an appointment for a new physical therapist the have all types of techiques...Granston,ART, ASTYM, dry needle technique and other stuff. My current therapist only does ultrasound and manual massage so it's time for a change-I think.

Don't take this the wrong way, but hearing about you folks who run despite having real issues is pretty inspiring, and makes me feel silly for endlessly blabbing about my niggles. Hope you heal up soon!

No charge for fixing your quotes.

I hear you about the pace. Very dependent on the surface conditions. Slower on the rocks and gravel and then I let it fly on the smooth dirt sections. I think you will notice a big improvement in your tolerance this summer. I'm very happy about mine, and I haven't even been running much.
Yah, we'll see, I'll be running more this year than last if I continue to run injury-free, and that in-and-of-itself should lead to improvements, but I'm also going to seek out rougher surfaces from time to time, as part of a well-rounded BFR diet and its four food groups: One serving of pace, one serving of distance, one serving of terrain, one serving of surface.

You ran a marathon on fairly rough asphalt last year, right? Pretty impressive.

No charge for fixing your quotes. Hahaha-funny you.

Yah, we'll see, I'll be running more this year than last if I continue to run injury-free, and that in-and-of-itself should lead to improvements, but I'm also going to seek out rougher surfaces from time to time, as part of a well-rounded BFR diet, which is made up of four food groups: One serving of pace, one serving of distance, one serving of terrain, one serving of surface.

quote]

To be quite honest, I kind of seek the rough surfaces just in case I sign up for a race on impulse then I'll be ready for it.
Well about my issues there are two things that I can do- do nothing and feel sorry for myself or continue to run as careful as I can possibly run and I choose the former cause there is no way I'll be feeling sorry for myself anytime soon. I know, I am that stubborn:)

Today did 5 miles at an easy pace....about 78F felt a bit hot out. Started with 1.5 miles local trails then 2 miles on road then thru the same trail back. Trail was rough and ran the blazing speed of 16.5 minute per mile with walking here and there. Mostly ran on the painted lines on the road...feets didn't complain about that at all.

Forgot to tell you Lee that if you're not getting blisters is more likely that you indeed are lifting you feet.
I guess running on rough surfaces reminds me of how lifting the feet feels I just don't notice the lifting of the feet on smooth surfaces. That's all.

Forgot to tell you Lee that if you're not getting blisters is more likely that you indeed are lifting you feet.
I guess running on rough surfaces reminds me of how lifting the feet feels I just don't notice the lifting of the feet on smooth surfaces. That's all.
That makes sense to me. I also notice how my feet come up more and my cadence increases on harsher surfaces. Seems natural, which is why I don't understand why folks consciously increase these things on smoother surfaces, when it's not necessary, same way I don' t understand the need for a heart monitor to tell you when you're running a certain pace. I can always go by feel. I know exactly when I'm running an aerobic pace, when I'm running at lactate threshold, etc. A friend gave me his heart rate monitor a year and a half ago, I used it once, and my sensed aerobic pace matched the (Mayo Clinic) formula's suggested pace, so I haven't used it again. When I get to a hill, if I want to maintain the same effort level, I just take smaller steps, the same as you're taught to do when hiking at high altitudes.

I've never had trouble with blisters, but then when I started barefoot running again in 2011 for real (I had sporadically tried to restart in 2010), I already had somewhat decently conditioned soles from barefoot walking. Ten days ago I did get too little red spots on my toes from running over nine miles on a cold, wet, abrasive surface, the first time that's happened. I think it might be a combo of abrasion and frost nip or something, but maybe I wasn't lifting my feet enough because of the conditions, I dunno.

Ok, well ran again 1.11 miles, only this time I ran about .555 in my huaraches and about .555 barefoot. The feet are no worse for wear but were a bit tender to all the cling-ons on the sidewalk during the run. Man they kept sticking to my soft (weakened from little barefooting lately) soles. Felt really really good to run without shoes, even the minimal shoes like the inov8's I was running in. In the huaraches I had way less problems than the inov8's, but then barefoot I had less than the huaraches. I did decide to change the lacing on these huaraches after this run as I could not get the dang heel strap to stay up on the left foot no matter how I adjusted it which annoyed the crap out of me. Seemed every hundred feet or so I had to stoop and flip the heel strap with my finger back up. Really loving the neoprene soles though as they are really starting to mold to my feet. I re-found my love for running again today and it took everything I had to not run more. It really does feel like cheating when running in huaraches or barefoot compared to shod even in minshoes. So much easier for some reason, and I really don't have a solid explanation for it other than it feels easier and fun.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7