Wish me luck!

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
Sunday morning I'm running my first Marathon in 28 years. It's billed as a trail run but that's not quite the right picture. A flat gravel path 12 miles long with a mile of pavement at either end is more like it. I'll be running in my VFFs. Easy, easy, easy is the theme. I don't want to go fast, I just want to have a nice run. The weather will be stellar, no wind, sunshine, starting at 50F and rising to about 65 by the end of the run. I plan to get back in about 4 hours or so, but will be just as happy with 4 and a half.
Send me some good energy, y'all.

Reactions: jldeleon
I am excited for you and very proud of you. Aren't you the one who said he would probably never run a marathon again, or didn't think you'd be able to in a post long ago? You have come so far, JT, my friend. I will be running right along with you in spirit holding your hand. I can't wait for the report, and take lots of pictures! You know I am all about the pictures. Have fun!

Go for it. Enjoy it, that's the most important thing - unless you stand a chance of placing, in which case crush everyone else and leave them in your dust!

Don't know if you'll see this before your run, but Good Luck!!! And report in asap!

I need a new sticker for my car! Unfortunately it'll say "23.5" instead of 26.2. The first 17 were just fine and I passsed 13.1 under 2 hrs. Between 17 and 20, though, my legs went through an experience like one of those kinetic sculptures that destroy themselves as they trundle along. Achilles, calves, hip flexors, quad insertions and intermittant others all screamed that I should have called it enough at 15. Aside from that, it was indeed one of the best days for a race I've ever seen: the temp at the gun at 06:30 was 50F, and got up to 63 by the time I walked off at 10:30. A brilliant dat day and very gentle breezes from the south, I think.

Thank you all for such kind encouragement! Next time I try a marathon I'll get a couple longer runs in like I should have. Either that or I'll talk myself out of the whole idea, which seems like an even better idea from my current frame of mind.

Don't sweat it at all, man. The reason we run our first marathon is so we know what to do the next time... The first one is almost always a training run. Good first attempt and yuo did the right thing to bow out when you did!

hard luck on not finishing, but as the others have said, learn from it, come back better next time

Valiant in the effort. I think next time, you will know better how to prepare, whether it's physical with hydration or fueling or mental. And you will do just fine. I am so proud of you. You kicked ass, even though it was your own. :)

Reactions: BFwillie_g
You're still smiling, right? It's all good - and it was a fine day for a training run! Come back to the city - I've got a great, flat 26.2.
Or you could do the whole thing with a few hills thrown in for 32+!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon