Winter Challenge - 2012

I'm going on a 6 mile hike tomorrow morning. The temp is supposed to be 27F at the start. I do jog on the trails once in a while. Would this count towards my totals?

I'm going on a 6 mile hike tomorrow morning. The temp is supposed to be 27F at the start. I do jog on the trails once in a while. Would this count towards my totals?
I was going to ask the same question since I hike quite a bit. I would say yes because 1. still barefoot 2. still mileage 3. It's actually more of a challenge to walk and hike in colder weather in my experience. I guess we will get an official decision from YOW? Who makes the rules around here? Put it to a vote?

I will concur walking and hiking is much more challenging when it is cold. Harder to keep your feet warm. YOW what are your thoughts. Note this is a running challenge, I think if you end up walking or hiking during your run it should count, but not sure if it would count if you true mission was to go for a hike.

But I am game with what ever decision is make by the 'All Mighty YOW' :cool:

Walking counts ... if you're barefoot and within our temperature requirement, your cold walk counts. I agree with Rick and Bob .... cold weather trails are much harder to handle then cold roads. I'll add a comment to the first post in this thread to ensure that everyone knows that walking qualifies too. My only caution is that walking in sub-freezing temperatures may increase your likelihood of frostbite.

I was going to ask the same question since I hike quite a bit. I would say yes because 1. still barefoot 2. still mileage 3. It's actually more of a challenge to walk and hike in colder weather in my experience. I guess we will get an official decision from YOW? Who makes the rules around here? Put it to a vote?

flintstones.jpg

No real Grand PooPah here. The only steadfast rule is that you need to be bare foot and <= 41F or 5C. I never really thought that someone would walk in the cold.

According to my car thermometer, my hike started out at 28F and when I got back it said 48F. There was about a 10mph wind. The hike ended up 11.97 miles...I'm going to call it 12 and put the whole thing into the <41F group. And, yes, it was darned cold for the first 3 and the last 1 hours - 7+ hours and most of it on unmarked/maintained trails.

Funny we are craving the colder temperatures. We are going to wish we didn't in about 1 month.
Haha, you might regret it but I won't. Here in OR we just don't have very bad winters most of the time. 4-5 years ago we did have snow for about 2 weeks straight, which was something that hadn't happened in like 40 years or something like that. Usually IF we get snow, it's for maybe a day or two and only 3-4 times a year. We get a lot more freezing rain and ice, which I guess that sucks too.

Weather was 10 degrees (Celcius) this morningwhen I got up, so after my good mileage over the previous two weeks, I've got notta. I almost miss the driving snow in my face.