Winter Challenge - 2012

Snow -- Shmo! Our friendly Barefoot Winter Challenge is back. Last year, Lou ran 400+ km or 250 mi barefoot.

This challenge is open to all BRS members. We want you to record your BARE FOOT running/walking/hiking at temperatures <= 5°C (41°F), whether you do it once or 50+ times. The Challenge is about having fun and exploring barefoot running, in winter conditions. Besides, it's worth all the strange looks and dropped jaws you'll get from the disbelievers.

Here's how to play: Oct 01 2012 to Apr 01 2013
1. Goto this Winter Challenge link (charts are more interactive if you are logged on with Google account ie gmail)
2. Add your Member ID (1st sheet - row A)
3. Add your Country (1st sheet - row B)
4. Add your cumulative number of runs and distance for each temperature range (include Wind Chill --- here is a link to a Wind Chill calculator)
5. Add your coldest run (temperature and distance)
6. Check out the 'Stats' sheet to see how everyone is doing

Note:
Walking and hiking count as long as you are bare foot and within the temperature requirement.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Have fun --- Run Safe

Is this for barefoot barefoot only?

Woohoo, here we go, now i must wait for the temperatures to drop back down. Damn it, I must of had 5 or 6 good qualifying runs in September. Oh well, onward and upward. Looking forward to all the looks and silly comments coming this year.........:eek:

I'll give it a shot this time, last year I pretty much couldnt handle below 41ºF! Feet seem a lot tougher though after a year. Then again I want to start doing more hills and planned to do them minimalist. And waiting until winter seemed to me like killing two birds with one stone - wearing shoes for both rugged trail conditions and cold temps. But on the road or easier trail I'll definitely see how cold I can go this year.

If it's close enough to qualify I always check before and afterwards. My runs are so short though right now the temp doesn't change much. We have warmed up again a little so I'm not sure when I will be getting any qualifying runs in. I am tired of this long summer and ready for the cool runs of winter.

Lee, I note the temp. before and after to see which column to log the run in. If I start in one category and the temp. warms to the next, I usually just log the whole run in the higher column. I think the roolz are pretty flexible, kind of an honor system, mostly just a challenge to yourself and how to improve in colder temps. The competitiveness between the challengers or between countries is mostly for fun.

Gentile, I run by time also. I just make a educated guess on my pace divided into time to get the miles or k's.

Lee, I note the temp. before and after to see which column to log the run in. If I start in one category and the temp. warms to the next, I usually just log the whole run in the higher column. I think the roolz are pretty flexible, kind of an honor system, mostly just a challenge to yourself and how to improve in colder temps. The competitiveness between the challengers or between countries is mostly for fun.
Thanks Rick. I'll probably just check before I head out unless I'm on a plus-hour run. I'm not viewing this competitively, just for fun. Last winter I set 20F (about -6C) as my limit in dry, windless conditions, because I often lack commonsense. I could probably go another five degrees lower but don't trust myself to know whether or not I'm getting myself into trouble. Plus my mileage is pretty low compared to a lot of you guys. Still, will be fun to keep track of this over the winter, and will be an extra motivation to get out in the elements.

sweet....just had my first cold morning run!
Hope this keeps me motivated to keep running this winter :)

I have been including the wind chill in my temp logging from last year, first year I did not, because if it -10 base temp and the wind chill drops it to -30, your feet are still subjected to it. Same thing with positive temps dropping to minus temps with the WC.

Yup, also thinking about Lindenwoods and Point Douglas. To go along with the Firefighter/Paramedic Half on the 20th.
My wife also talked me into pacing her for the last 2 hours of her Lemming Loop 12hour event on Saturday. Busy month it is going to be.

Is anybody interested in taking part in a article being done by a reporter on All Weather Barefoot Runners, most specifically cold weather runners. I am confirming with her whether she is specifically looking for Canadians or not, but I am pushing her towards the more international flavour. Let me know if you are interested and I will need to get her your contact info.

Bring on the snow.

Is anybody interested in taking part in a article being done by a reporter on All Weather Barefoot Runners, most specifically cold weather runners. I am confirming with her whether she is specifically looking for Canadians or not, but I am pushing her towards the more international flavour. Let me know if you are interested and I will need to get her your contact info.

Bring on the snow.
Sure, I'd be willing. Although I only have one winter of bfr behind me, I have a reasonably long history of grilling and occasionally shoveling snow bf too. Plus, I'm Minnesotan, practically Canadian.

Reactions: Zetti

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090