Winter Challenge - 2012

I knew my lead would be short lived YOW...

Rick - it's all about getting the weather to co-operate. You're almost 200 km ahead of last years pace. Besides, you moved pass the WhineApeggers. I should show more respect for Bob and dutchie, but hey a little rivalry goes a long way. I think you're doing fantastic this year. Have you noticed that Sneffe is sneaking up.

I HATE salt, unless it's sprinkled lightly on my steak. For anyone who's new to winter running, avoid salt like the plague. It burns.
That is great advice. Keep the salt for the steaks.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Rick - it's all about getting the weather to co-operate. You're almost 200 km ahead of last years pace. Besides, you moved pass the WhineApeggers. I should show more respect for Bob and dutchie, but hey a little rivalry goes a long way. I think you're doing fantastic this year. Have you noticed that Sneffe is sneaking up.

Your lucky I am up for this friendly rivalry, I take no offence at all :p . You guys just need to come run in our shoes or on our soles here in Winterpeg for you to really appreciate the awesome totals that we do have. Then you will understand, oh boy you will understand. ;)

4 kilometers in -5C today, fascinating how my feet almost got stuck on the ice. Almost as if I had to pry them loose. But running in itself wasn't a big problem. Of course, when I got warmer I realized I had a blood blister, but that only made me prouder. I survived -5 (-6 just half an hour earlier, so it must have been -6 in the shades, perhaps even colder:eek:), I bragged to a fellow runner about how rough asphalt partly covered with old ice really is no big deal when you just listen to your own body (or something like that, I was too occupied with where to put my feet to monitor what came out of my big mouth), and even the cold, polluted air of a wintery Prague didn't crush my lungs -- or anything else. Except for the blood blister. But that doesn't count.

4 kilometers in -5C today, fascinating how my feet almost got stuck on the ice. Almost as if I had to pry them loose. But running in itself wasn't a big problem. Of course, when I got warmer I realized I had a blood blister, but that only made me prouder. I survived -5 (-6 just half an hour earlier, so it must have been -6 in the shades, perhaps even colder:eek:), I bragged to a fellow runner about how rough asphalt partly covered with old ice really is no big deal when you just listen to your own body (or something like that, I was too occupied with where to put my feet to monitor what came out of my big mouth), and even the cold, polluted air of a wintery Prague didn't crush my lungs -- or anything else. Except for the blood blister. But that doesn't count.

Well done nistro. You earned your bragging rights. How many runners have you met that can say they ran barefoot at -6C?

4.85 mi total, 4.39 total running, 3.27 mi on the track, and .46 mi walking in between intervals. 32 F, 31 F windchill.

A light frosting overnight, and a good day of reading made me a bit lazy to go out and run. But the curiosity of seeing if I could perhaps run a bit farther or faster down at the track got me out of the house. Plus we’re supposed to get another 3-6 inches of snow tonight, so it would be even harder to motivate tomorrow if I were to put off the run for another day.

The roads going down to the track were icy and wet with very few dry spots. I was already regretting not taking my Moc3s as back-up. The track itself was about half-covered in a half inch or so of snow. Just enough to provide cold moisture, but not enough to smooth out the abrasiveness of the sandy gravel. Knowing it would be hard to walk for any length of time between intervals, I decided to try 880 intervals instead of 440s, and reset the pace alert to 8:30 mm instead of 8mm. I did three of those, then ran a mile cuz every time I stopped for a walking break my feet would start to numb up after just a few seconds. I started out the mile kind of slow, but then reset the lap after 220 yards and redoubled my mental effort. I then ran two 440s, and ended with a 220 as night began to fall. On the run home I kind of had to push the pace up the long gentle hill home just to keep the feet warm over the streets, which were rapidly icing over everywhere now that the sun was gone. Today’s run definitely felt colder than the one I ran at 11 F windchill, and my feet are a little tingly, but it was kind of exhilarating with the faster pacing.

OK, the feet have warmed again, it’s safe to take a shower. No sign of ITBS, so on next Tuesday's run I'll try to top five miles. At first it was conceptually difficult, but I'm really loving the idea that you can run faster with walking breaks. Break it down and build it back up again. Like in music or something.

I feel like I am cheating a little when I use the wind chill, but a 20 mph north wind got me a run in the 23 F. column. I'll take it.

I noticed quite a few k's are getting logged into that category, that's impressive. 25 degrees in ideal conditions (dry, sunny, and calm) is about my low limit.

I had good conditions today. Our streets and sidewalks are clear and dry. The sun poked out from the clouds periodically. I ran 12 km at -9C (16F). I know I should have taken advantage of the conditions and gone farther. Forecast is for 4 inches of snow and freezing rain tonight.

Nasty windchills are suppose to be hitting us for the next few days, somewhere in the mid -30's. Hmm, maybe a nice clear sidewalk run tonight.

No barefoot run for me tonight, falling snow creates no clear paths to run on. Plus as usually the weatherman was out to lunch on their weather forcast. It's a balmy -17 degrees here currently. Not worth trail blazing through the snow for those temps. ;)

Bob, you do realize that everyone is going to wonder about the sanity us Winnipeggers now with posts like that? :D
I think the Winnipeg folk festival established that reputation a long time ago; within minutes of setting up our tent an enterprising young man came by with bags of mushrooms. Now I understand how you survive your long winters.

Bob, you do realize that everyone is going to wonder about the sanity us Winnipeggers now with posts like that? :D

It's called the fear factor, who would want to challenge us to something like that. I will get my sub -30 run in this year at some point. It has been beckoning me for a year now.

great run last night.....2 degrees and dry!
....I think I should invest in a reflective vest however as it is getting dark quickly and my normal running apparel is a bit dark
imgres

adult-ninja-warrior-costume-3023.jpg

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts