The Tie, the Dress Belt, or Was it Just Plain Old Rest?

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
I've been slacking.... we went camping, it was hot and humid, I'm working but the wife and kids have the summer off, you know how it goes, so I ended up with THIRTEEN days in a row of zero running.

TJ, NEXT year we will run the Oshkosh 5K together, there were good reasons I'll explain to you later as to why I ended up sitting it out this year.

So I finally ran 2 miles, took a few days off, ran 2.8, took a few off, and then ran 2.8 again.

I was amazed at my speed increases with each run.

After the last 2.8 training run Monday, I rested Tuesday and Wednesday and then this evening ran the local "Red Carpet Run" 5K in which you are supposed to get dressed up like you're going to the Oscars. It was 90 degrees F, 90% humidity, yet I broke my 5K PR by 2:24!

Yeah, I wore a black leather dress belt as well as a tie, (pics will be up soon) but c'mon, from a PR of 28:23 to 25:59?

Was all the rest and then the gradual return with an increase of speed each training run the secret? ( I did pace in the high 8 minutes the last two training runs)

Shacky: Maybe in your 5K warm up next year in Grand Rapids we WILL run together!

I've been missing you.  Did

I've been missing you. Did you see the crash? My hubby was second in line for take off when they went down. They closed the airspace after that, no in no out. How was your stay at Oshkosh? Did you enjoy the storm? Scott and his friend got soaked when their tent gave way under the weight of the water. They had to sleep that way...well they didn't sleep. Glad you're back!

Thank you Jason, and thank

39858_474370682505_599182505_6715262_4418342_n.jpg

Thank you Jason, and thank you other forum! The new thread is the bomb!

Did'nt see the crash but

Did'nt see the crash but found out about it just minutes after. I met Jack Rousch a couple of times while he was flying one of his P51's into our home base for some avionics repairs.

The aircraft he crashed last time was the same type as my son was flying in that picture I posted of the multi-engine seaplane back in that "other" site. Jack's crashed at least three times now, but is still around to tell the stories.

We arrived in the mud, were'nt allowed in because of it, but eventually got in the next day.

My wife flew in the following Thursday in the Turbine Goose, but the rain Wednesday night that destroyed our sun/rain canopy softened the ground too much to allow them to park. They dropped of Diane, and then had to depart the field!

The next day they were allowed to park on the somewhat dried out grass though.

You would have been miserable in these worst ever EAA Airventure Oshkosh conditions, good thing you're saving it for next year!

The 5K route? 33% on brand new chip minus the seal. That's right, just some tar poured in with it, the fresh sharp stones STICK to you with the tar! Non-BFRunable, I assume even for Ken Bob or Rick R.

By the end of the week the stones got duller, and the liquid tar more sparse, and I could have run on it by then. Next year should be fine.

Did your husband get to enjoy it all despite the less than 50% turnout and all the mud?

Hope so!

They had to divert that first

They had to divert that first and/or second night because they weren't let anyone in due to the mud. Then once they got in, they weren't allowed out. Yes, Board, sounds like much fun.

Nice tux too, BTW.

That Red Carpet 5K brought

That Red Carpet 5K brought out AW's from all over.

TJ, I had no trouble walking in the Oshkosh mud, but of the over 30,000 people camping there not one outside of our family figured out that leaving the shoes OFF after the mud sucked them off would have made more sense. It was like Woodstock with a windsock plus shoes.

Here's a link to my son's

Here's a link to my son's Oshkosh pictures. Plenty of good airplane shots for Scott to drool over, but check out some of the flood/mud pics on page five. There's even one of our van being pulled out of the spongy grass by a big John Deer.

The first ever night air show was incredible, check out the pyro in one of those shots. He captured the "wall of fire" somehow.

Also got to see Chicago in the free concert Monday night, The Leutenant Dan Band Friday night, and of course the night airshow Sat.

Check out the pics, and start your planning for the final week of July 2011!

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/teamzoxracing/Oshkosh%202010/?start=160

I've forwarded the link to

I've forwarded the link to Scott, so he can check them out. Very good photography too, BTW. Wow! You could probably sell some of those.

Thanks, TJ.He's been

Thanks, TJ.

He's been submitting pictures to some magazines, and has had several published on a major on-line aviation site.

The pay is the same as it is for those that volunteer for the BRS: nada, zilch, zero.

He has taken some really nice shots of people's planes that he recognizes from home and presented them with a quality print later on. Rides, stick time, and actual logging of flight time have resulted, so there is the pay-off other than the artistic recognition.

These days nobody pays for pics, when he saw his apartment building burning down he captured great images, and the paper and local t.v. news used them with his permission.......credit of course, but: nada, zilch, zero. It's just the way it is!

He's using a digital point and shoot!

Next month is his twenty first birthday, I believe a DSLR is in his future.

Then of course there is graduation in December, and Hanukkah, .......

He still better find a job!

Ask him to take some good

Ask him to take some good barefoot running photos. We'll pay him the same thing those other guys are paying him.

Again, really outstanding photos. It would be nice if he could make some money at it.

Our oldest no longer goes

Our oldest no longer goes barefoot, our youngest still does, but the middle boy photographer/pilot is ANTI-barefoot! Two semesters in Army ROTC made him anti-running as well!

He did crop my avitar for me, but that's about as close to any barefoot running photography he'll get.

Then again, come January he'll have to find SOMETHING to do. Possibly BFR will have become so huge that the BRS will have a six figure photography budget and the founder can not only enjoy a multi-million dollar salary but also be flown to the various races and expos in the BRS jet piloted by the BRS photographer. Just think about all of the savings that efficiency would provide.

Now if we can just get you over that fear of smaller aircraft......

Yes, we can dream, can't we? 

Yes, we can dream, can't we? But I have my own pilot; I'm afraid your son will have to remain the photographer. And Board, I'm not afraid of flying; I'm afraid of crashing.

The type of jet that the BRS

The type of jet that the BRS will need to support it's mission will not be certified for single pilot operation. Usually at that level the two pilots share pilot in command duties.

Scott and Isaac will get along good.

If Nike's founder made it big encouraging folks to damage their bodies while running, there's no reason not to keep this dream alive. We do need a product though!

Ha, funny.  My friend flew

Ha, funny. My friend flew private jets for a couple of Nascar drivers, Jeremy Mayfield, and I can't remember the other one, then she left that job to fly for AirTran. When she got pregnant, she quit. Go figure.

Barefoot. Our product is barefoot. On "that other forum," a long, long time ago, I started a thread called How to make a buck with nothing on your feet...or something like that. There, I posted a couple of ideas I had, and I'm thinking others did too. One of them was those lights runners use at night, except I strapped them to my ankles. It was funny 'cuz, of course, it wouldn't work with all the bouncing around. Point is...we CAN make a buck off of running barefoot...anklets, foot jewelry, huaraches, etc. I'm just waiting for our Merchandise Coordinator to step forward. Interested?

If I was any good

If I was any good at marketing stuff I'd be retired by now.

I once met a dentist from New Jersey who became a multi-millionaire

before he hit thirty.

He was serving in the military in Japan as a dentist, and saw what he thought looked like a cool device.

You held it in your hand, plugged it into an a.c. wall outlet, and it blew hot air on your hair!

Prior to that Americans were stuck sitting under dryer hoods.

Oh yeah, he brought it here for distribution, and eventually sold the rights to a major name.

Who would have thought that something like the blow dryer was awaiting an American dentist to discover it and bring it to the masses in the U.S.!

I've been drilling for over 32 years now, always thinking: "There MUST be an easier way!"

Geez, Board.  I didn't know

Geez, Board. I didn't know you were that old. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-) I mean the blow dryer's been around for a long, long time. Hee.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Geez,

Barefoot TJ said:
Geez, Board. I didn't know you were that old.

I'm not. He was in his fifties when we met, I was in my twenties.

I still had my hair.

BIG hair!

So the blow dryer has only

So the blow dryer has only been out about 35 years?

Got any pictures of you and that BIG hair to share?

Here's one with medium hair,

Here's one with medium hair, but a belt and shorts just like at Thursday's run!

Short shorts were the rage back then, but look how ragged those other guys looked.

I at least rolled up the cutoffs for the photo!

Believe it or not, in that pic are my current podiatrist, my internist, my attorney, and my wife's custom clothier.(don't even ask)

Tough to tell for sure, but I believe I was the only barefoot one.

This picture was e-mailed to me just last week when the lawyer in the photo was digitizing his old Kodachromes. We can't figure out who took the shot!

I don't think I even know

I don't think I even know what a Kodachrome is...something to do with Kodak, of course.

Who wouldathunk that all those hippies would grow up to be productive members of society? ;-)

Nice legs, Board.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7