The Tie, the Dress Belt, or Was it Just Plain Old Rest?

Planes are like houses, not

Planes are like houses, not cars. A 70's aircraft is not old, and both the Beechcraft ( I assume Bonanza?, unless it is a fixed gear Muskateer?) and Piper Comanche are excellent aircraft.

Only poor maintenance would make a plane old, and Scott will be able to easily spot that.

Like Ken Bob would say: Relax, Relax!!!

My wife flew to Oshkosh in a 1939 aircraft, and our son went to Illinois last week to help ferry a WWII trainer back to Detroit! A T6, Hubby will be drooling over this one, but not you....it's fully aerobatic!

I'd prefer a 2011 model,

I'd prefer a 2011 model, thank you very much!

OK, since this is already a

OK, since this is already a picture rich thread...

Photo was taken last night.

FOUR of these guys were in the 70's picture.

TWO of them are practicing podiatrists that ENDORSE barefoot running for those whom it is working for.

One of those thinks it probably is for most people.

Two in the picture go barefoot on a fairly regular basis.

WOW!  So not

WOW! So not anti-establishment! Just teasing! Have you added them to our barefoot-friendly podiatrist map yet?

One of them.The other has

One of them.

The other has made so much money prescribing orthotics over the years that he is winding down and just about ready to fully retire.

Ha!  In a sick sort of way.

Ha! In a sick sort of way.

OK, picture thread and we

OK, picture thread and we talked about Comanches.

One of my sons (the other barefooter in case you didn't guess) is seated at the far end of the table. My other son the photographer/pilot took the photo with the cell phone of the lawyer.

Obvious who the lawyer is even without noticing the empty chair at the close end of the table next to him that had been occupied by my son.

A few minutes ago he told me about his latest " Top Pictures of the Week " honor in this site:

http://www.avweb.com/

It's a polished aluminum Comanche!

Check out the submitted pictures on the right lower side, pause them and cycle through them manualy. It's one sweet Comanche!

Yep, this must mean that a Comanche is in the Girkin's future.

That made me hungry for pickles. I think we have some left.

You must mean this one:I'll

You must mean this one:

potw06_1633.jpg

I'll show Scott. I'm sure he'll fall in love, and we'll have to divorce...all because of you!

And it's Gerken, not Girkin! I mean, I've seen people misspell it with one i but two? Geez! Teasing. ;-)

That's the plane!And the

That's the plane!

And the photographer usually has people assuming his name is spelled Issac, rather than Isaac.

Never mind it has always been spelled Isaac since his biblical namesake's dad Abraham almost sacraficed him,

most people still intuitivly want two S's rather than two I's.

Two E's, NO I's, two E's, no I's, I'll keep repeating it so I never make that mistake again.

Are the pickles "Girken's" or "Gerkin's?

It's Gherkin.  Gerken,

It's Gherkin. Gerken, Smirken, not the last name I would have chosen for my husband to be, but hey, whatcha gonna do? I'm always correcting people when they pronounce it Jerken. See, when I first met him, that's what I thought it sounded like. Now I'm always saying, "It's alright, I thought it was Jerkin too when I first met him." ;-)

Name spelling can be tricky,

Name spelling can be tricky, since they don't necessarily follow any rules you learned in English class.

We have a street in Detroit called Cadiux, pronounced "Kaz-yoo" which was named by the early French settlers.

It's a block west of Mack.

The way legend has it, a few years ago a guy was walking down the street and noticed a lifeless body in the middle of the road. (This is Detroit, so nothing special here).

He called 911 to report it, and they asked him to spell the name of the street.

"C....A......S....., no C... A... Z..., no C...A...uh, hang on a minute, I'll drag him over to Mack! "

Oh, Board!  That's sick!

Oh, Board! That's sick!

Yes, but this is Detroit!I

Yes, but this is Detroit!

I realized a few weeks ago that the Detroit Free Press International Marathon will have a 5K event this fall. I looked at the route and it is pretty much a loop around downtown.

TJ, I am one of the biggest promoters of barefoot life being compatible with city living, but I'm still questioning the wisdom of attempting this one!

My dad and sisters were born

My dad and sisters were born in Detroit. I have not had the honor of visiting there.

Today would have been the day

Today would have been the day to come to the Motor City.....

Our premier event, the Woodward Dream Cruise is going on right now.

Too bad it's raining and forcast to continue to do so throughout the day.

Of course Scott would have ended up purchasing a GTO or some other V-8 powered

6 barreled carb muscle car after experiencing this 10 mile long spectacle with over a million others.

Planes, cars, ......good thing BFRunning is an inexpensive hobby!

Then again instead of the $200 hamburger flying offers, I have been accumilating a few too many

$30 T shirts.

Yes, we have partaken of that

Yes, we have partaken of that insanity as well. He has a 1950 Chevy Truck in the garage he is just aching to restore after having it for the past nine years, but damn that flying keeps getting in the way! One time, I was following behind him in my 1994 Firebird (bought it new, was six years old at the time) to make sure he was able to transport it from one place to the other; in case it broke down, he would have a ride. I had to stay WAY back from him because the rust kept peeling off the truck and pelting my car. He said he couldn't figure out why I was going so slow and was unable to KEEP UP. Yea, right, like that old POS could take Patience (my Firebird). He's always called his truck Rusty Old Truck. Then it occured to me...ROT! I said from here forward, it will be lovingly known as ROT (a good acronym for Rusty Old Truck). He was so mad he didn't think of it first. I still get a hoot out of it everytime I call it ROT, and he still just grins with envy.

Still raining but maybe we'll

Still raining but maybe we'll head over there just the same. Won't put the top down though!

My son cruised in the unofficial version last night with the top down, beautiful hot & humid night for it, and the crowds were big as well.

Our oldest vehicle in the family fleet is as un-Detroit as you can get, and as far from macho/muscle as can be.

Bought it brand new in '86, but it was already a 10 year old body style at the time.

300,000 miles, and still as reliable as can be.

I'd never drive it wearing that tie with no shirt though!

I forgot that I had to pay

I forgot that I had to pay a visit to the "other" site first in order to do this.

My son took the picture yesterday while heading out over the bridge to our island.

The quality of the photograph

The quality of the photograph is good enough to make it look like show room material.

We love "that other site" for all their help.

I have a 2002 Nissan Quest minivan now. Bought it new. It has less than 69,000 miles on it and has been maintained by an ASE Master Mechanic, so I doubt we get rid of it anytime soon.