The Olympics

Thought it was time for an Olympic thread.

Womens 10k to come later this evening

Aren't team GB doing well so far?

Discuss (not discus):D

i was watching women's 10k racing. i don't know if it was prelims or what. all i know is i had to leave for work only to find out i could have stayed home to watch the finish. oh well, they were fast. faster than i will ever be, even in my dreams.

can't wait for the rest of track. i did watch the hurdlers. it amazes me how they can run so fast and jump so smoothly.

No, that was it for the women's 10k. Amazingly fast aren't they?

Predictably won by East Africans, didn't spot the USA athletes, but GB were 7th and 8th.

Mens 10k today I think with Mo Farah, a good chance for gold for us

Reactions: Robin
My buddy and I are kind of irritated that they are only showing highlights of the womens marathon after the race is over tomorrow. My buddy runs occasionally with two of the runners here (with his club I think).

I watched a bit of the Olympics with my wife yesterday evening, for the first time. I enjoyed watching the women sprinters, especially now after reading up a bit on running and biomechanics these last several months. It was really amazing to watch the perfection of form. My wife noticed who had real hair and whose extensions looked best. The kids didn't find watching people run at all interesting, and played.

My buddy and I are kind of irritated that they are only showing highlights of the womens marathon after the race is over tomorrow. My buddy runs occasionally with two of the runners here (with his club I think).
Glad I kept my dvr recording because it sounds like they actually showed the womens marathon after all.

Missed most of the marathon, not much interest for me without Paula.

Good sailing though for the Brits, and continue to do well in the track cycling.

There's Kara Goucher and I forget the other gal that ran that is from Portland as well. I was not getting up at 3 am this morning though.

I got in from my morning ride and chores and saw the last few miles of it. Shame the Russian faded at the end, she was looking good.

Track cycling back on again now, GB looking good again in the sprints but some hard work to do in the men's omnium

Anyone else besides me find it absolutely ASTOUNDING that those women can run 26.2 miles in under 2.5 hours??? That's an average of better than 10.5 MPH or 5.7 min/mile for over two hours! I can barely average that fast on my BIKE!

Maybe I've just never paid attention to Olympic distance runners, I dunno, but to me it's just unbelievable!

I was really interested to watch the running form of the womens 10k event... all of the women seemed to be running the way we BFRs are aspiring too - landing beneath the hips, bend in the legs, mid-foot, very high cadence.... Also, I remember reading something about how 'primal' man (or woman(ref. monty python)) would have had over-developed glutes, and smaller hamstrings... which is exactly what these women had - as apposed to your average weight-loss runner who ends up with big hamstrings, and no glutes... very interesting to watch.

I was really interested to watch the running form of the womens 10k event... all of the women seemed to be running the way we BFRs are aspiring too - landing beneath the hips, bend in the legs, mid-foot, very high cadence.... Also, I remember reading something about how 'primal' man (or woman(ref. monty python)) would have had over-developed glutes, and smaller hamstrings... which is exactly what these women had - as apposed to your average weight-loss runner who ends up with big hamstrings, and no glutes... very interesting to watch.

Thats funny, as I thought some of them had odd, or poor looking, form. I know they are all amazing athletes, and they could out run me any day, but I was surprised to see some of the things I did.

Thats funny, as I thought some of them had odd, or poor looking, form. I know they are all amazing athletes, and they could out run me any day, but I was surprised to see some of the things I did.

well, i'm not going to claim any sort of skill in running form analysis, so perhaps I wasn't watching as closely as you... certainly I didn't notice the 6 east africans, or the 2 brit girls running anywhere near as badly as I see the average evening street runner doing.

Thre are two things that have really stood out for me. The men's 10k, they ran that oin 7 minutes faster than my 5k time (and a Brit won)

And the women's triathlon, where their 10k was only 2-3 mins slower than the women's 10k track race, and that's after 1500m swim and 42km bike - now THAT is truly amazing, with a photo finish as well.

all the runners are amazing. some sure do look like they're heel striking. others just appear that way because once the camera gets a side angle you can clearly see they aren't.

i was shocked with how the kenyan who took 2nd in the woman's mary had weak looking legs but she was still fast. amazing.

No, that was it for the women's 10k. Amazingly fast aren't they?

Predictably won by East Africans, didn't spot the USA athletes, but GB were 7th and 8th.

Mens 10k today I think with Mo Farah, a good chance for gold for us
women 10K was won by Dibaba...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7