My Ultraminimal Jingas Banned From Work!

Barefoot Larry

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Ocean, NC
I work at a hospital. My Jingas have been banned because the sole is to thin. They believe it is a safety issue. They are concerned about stepping on a tack or sharp object. I'm not kidding! They are having a crackdown on safety, and somebody pointed out my Jingas.

This is not good, because these shoes contributed to keeping my feet healthy and strong. Anyone have suggestions on a minimal shoe that looks "normal"?

Has anyone else had their minimal shoes banned from the workplace?

Terra Plana's Vivo Barefoot

Terra Plana's Vivo Barefoot line look like normal shoes, but they are very minimal...and very expensive. My husband just got his first pair and they had better last a looooonng time!

I wouldn't worry about it,

I wouldn't worry about it, just go by the rules at your workplace. I know you mostly run barefoot all the time, don't worry about your feet losing strength during work because it won't happen. It's like lifting weights, you don't pump iron 8 hours a day. Resting is where you gain strength and conditioning.

I don't have a desk job so I am always on my feet as well, I actually enjoy the rest my feet get from conventional shoes. I run 100% barefoot and wearing my work shoes is actually a nice break and relaxing to the feet.

I run barefoot but I don't get caught up in all the "have to be barefoot 24/7 thing"

I would say it's just a

I would say it's just a matter of comfort as I agree with Adam. If you want some minimalist shoes for work- I second TP Vivo line. I have a pair and love them. They are super comfy and basically as close to bare as they come. Plus, they look like regular shoes. Noone would know you are in minimalist shoes unless they know what Vivos are. They are pricey but you may be able to find a discount code online.

that's crazy larry.  i work

that's crazy larry. i work in an urgent care clinic and they let me wear my vffs there. if a more normal shoe is something you need then try on some racing flats. they are usually pretty thin and it sounds like they'll pass the eye ball test you have at work.

i agree that the evos look more like a regular shoe but so do the jingas and if it got out that the evos were as thin as your jingas then you will have spent a lot of money for nothing.

Thanks everyone for the

Thanks everyone for the comments. Watch out for thumbtacks! They are on a safety crackdown. Mostly political, because we have had 3 injuries in 3 months, and the injuries had nothing to do with feet! I work in the Biomedical Enginnering dept and I have yet to find something to step on in the hospital LOL. I am looking at the Terra Plana shoes, but they are pricey! I've been searching for coupon codes. Unfortunately, the BRS coupon is expired :(

I am pretty much like Adam,

I am pretty much like Adam, I have to wear composite toe shoes at the extrusion factory I am employed at. When I get my degree, that will be over with. It does tend to give your feet a rest from running bare and relax the muscles. As far as getting caught up in the I have to go barefoot all the time thing. I always went barefoot before I ever heard of barefoot running or even knew it existed. I never read born to run or even knew it was out there. To me barefooting is a natural way of life and a very comfortable one at that. Being raised in the hills of Tennessee barefooting is not uncommon. It is becoming more uncommon because of society's socailistic controlling ideas they want to restrict people with for the sake of self image! It's natural and is enjoyable.

Every time I've been to the

Every time I've been to the hospital I swear there are patient's walking around in socks...that can't be as safe as Jinga's. Maybe try those Speedo water shoes and see how that goes.

I work in an office setting and have slowly pushed the limits and can get away with sandals now mostly on the weekends. I even went to work completely barefoot one time when I forgot my shoes but I would be way out of place on the week days.

Good point, Mokie. Yes, they

Good point, Mokie. Yes, they make us wear socks with non-slip grips when we are patients at hospitals. They are afraid if we slip and fall, we will sue them. But if we step on a hyperdermic needle, then hay, it's anyone's game, right? Socks are good enough for us, but not them, apparently.

nature runner wrote: I

nature runner said:
I always went barefoot before I ever heard of barefoot running or even knew it existed.

Same here, and it's strange that I waited this long to run barefoot because I remember in 1980 I was 10 years old running my first 5k I saw my first barefoot runner. I thought it was awesome. In fact I used to see alot of barefoot runners in the early 80's.

I remember my aunts and uncles, and relatives all being barefoot during the summer. They would carry flip flops in their car just in case they needed them to go in a store or something like that. Not wearing shoes was pretty normal for me as a kid and now. Wearing regular shoes at work or whatever is not a big deal for me, I would just go barefoot when I got home.

adam

adam james said:
nature runner said:
I remember my aunts and uncles, and relatives all being barefoot during the summer. They would carry flip flops in their car just in case they needed them to go in a store or something like that. Not wearing shoes was pretty normal for me as a kid and now. Wearing regular shoes at work or whatever is not a big deal for me, I would just go barefoot when I got home.
Me and you are pretty much the same age. Barefoot in our generation wasn't a big deal. It's sad how it has changed since then. Propaganda media has scared folks to death of it. I remember a local news braodcast warning people of getting AIDS barefoot, how ignorant can the media be? I think that would be an extremely rare event! When I enter Wal Mart barefoot, I am usually the only one there that is, people stare at me like I am an alien. I don't let public opinion sway my beliefs! If people choose to be ignorant and followers of media brain washing them let them be brain washed. I have been barefoot for three decades and have never had a disease from it! My message to the media is try again, there brain washing hasn't gotten to me!

You tell 'em NR!

You tell 'em NR!

Could this be real or

Could this be real or Psychosomatic? I have been wearing the Nike Frees for about a week now at work and my knees are starting to hurt when I am running barefoot. I don't think this is a coincidence because I have 1900 barefoot running miles with no knee pain until my employer made me lose the Jingas. I'm so concerned about the pain that I had to break down and by the Terra Plana Aquas, which look like normal shoes.

Could there be an actual connection with these Nike Frees for walking at work only and knee pain?

Nike Free's have soft rubber

Nike Free's have soft rubber and heel lift...get them cut down to flat like Karen's talking by a cobbler unless your good with a knife...like filleting fish.

moka's right.  it would be

moka's right. it would be the heel lift and the arch support that is built into the sole of the free. cutting them down could help but you cant get rid of the arch that's built in. it diminishes a lot when you take out the insole but it's still there enough to bother my knees

I agree, it could totally be

I agree, it could totally be your nike's.

I wore my new balance for 2 days last week at work and both my knees and ankles hurt for a couple of days. of course, I didn't have my orthotics in, so that may have helped. I'm also not sure if it's the shoes, or the way the shoes let me walk? normally I wear my runamoks and I do walk differntly, but my ankles, knees, and feet (ok, sometimes my feet get sore) feel great.

Do you notice walking differntly without your jingo's?

Barefoot Larry:   I found two

Barefoot Larry: I found two different types of minimal casual footwear at Target, believe it or not. I am not sure if they sell them anymore, but they are slip-on moccasins but are great for work, they are black. They have a very thin rubber bottom, but you can literally fold theses shoes in half and they have no heel at all. They are super comfy and they were only $25!

Target is a secret place for cheap minimal footwear, at least i found it to be.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon