Miserable run

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
Yesterday's run was outstanding for it's ugly discomfort. I sat in my car at the trailhead parking lot for 5 minutes listening to the rain pound on the roof and to the wind shake great plopping splats on the roof. Finally I just manned up set out up the trail, splashing through 45 degree water and squishing over soggy leaves. I got 1.5 miles up the trail and turned around hoping that my feet would warm up before I got back to my car. Didn't happen. They didn't go completely numb, which I knew because the deeper puddles still felt colder.

I took the run as an opportunity to pay extra close attention to my form, which has been know to go south in cold wet conditions. The run was succesful in that my feet were fine by the time I wrapped it up.

My core stayed toasty, hands were fine, head and legs, all fine. I even felt glad to have run. It just wasn't easy.

45 degrees and wet, forget

45 degrees and wet, forget about it. I would of put on some footwear if I wanted to run. Those are just horrible conditions for barefoot running.

I know the feeling though, I have experimented in all types of conditions running bare, and sometimes protection is needed or I can go home and be mad that I am not running, the choice is pretty easy.

45 f and cold, ya, put some

45 f and cold, ya, put some shoes on. 45 and pouring rain, i take off everything i can. the rain isn't cold, slightly warm. i run faster and keep cool at the same time and have no problem with my feet with a heavy rain. now a slight drizzle always feel cold.

i've even run in colder weather with a heavy rain. it took me longer to warm up but was still fun and no heavy wet gear. we are all different though. you can't find your limits if you never test yourself.

I'm learning to not mind

I'm learning to not mind running in cold and rain. Cold and just wet still sucks though. I can run in the 40's while raining pretty easy, in the 30's and raining is harder but still doable, and 40's and just a wet ground though hurts and I have to run in huarches or my Adams.

Ive been having

I’ve been having trouble with wind lately (the weather kind, although i am partial to the odd feast of beans ;)) Cold i’m learning to handle but wind just seems to suck the life out of me.

Kudos for braving the elements Joseph, somehow these kind of runs seem more rewarding, and the hot shower after so much sweeter.