Mileage Reporting 49th Week 2013

m-few sets of pistols and one armed pushups.
t-1 1/2 hr trail "run" in, wait for it, shoes! i wore socks too! used my new headlamp, princeton apex. worked good. it was cold before 7am at .5C. that's about 34F, i think. cold mud is no good for bf'n.

20 minutes on the new elliptical was all the time I had this morning. That thing is tough and also may be off on its calorie tracker... For as hard as I worked in that amount of time on every other calorie tracker Ive used that is calibrated to me (as this is) counts about 4-5 times more calories. Oh well I guess I am just happy to have a way to cross train besides just weights now.
Nick don't get lost tracking calories,the parameters used for those things are not correct.In my opinion there is not one tool to really give you a exact count...furthermore working out indoors one uses less energy,I can't get my heartrate over 130 indoors doing cardio unless i"ve been doing squats or cattlebell swing beforehand.:)

Oh, and feel better.
I HATE getting sick. It feels like such a nuisance.
As a person who obviously has a lot of energy, you must find it terribly annoying. Rest. Do some things that don't require exertion that you've been meaning to get to. Get better quickly.

Thank you. Yes I do find it extremely annoying. I'm preppping for a physique competition and this coming weekend I'll be 16 weeks out. I don't want to just be resting. But I don't have that much of a choice.

Reactions: scedastic
I'm back from the doctor's office and it's not bacteria and it's not strep so it's a very aggressive virus. That's a good thing. That usually takes a shorter time to get well from. All I can do is take pain killers so the throat hurts less so I'll be able to eat well and then rest of course.

5 barefoot miles last night, good and relaxing after a mid-morning and early afternoon when my blood sugars were all wonky. Mid-afternoon my blood sugar was low enough that my mood was badly affected and was wondering if I could get things all straightened out and if I'd want to run after leaving work. But got things all settled out with some extra gum drops and carbs, and eventually the contact of bare skin with the park path after about 20 minutes or so while I was running made me feel much better.

Legs still felt a bit deadish, but better than Monday. Still today's not a bad day to take complete running rest as my schedule doesn't really give me opportunity to run. Unfortunately that means missing some nicely mild weather. Oh well.

Nick don't get lost tracking calories,the parameters used for those things are not correct.In my opinion there is not one tool to really give you a exact count...furthermore working out indoors one uses less energy,I can't get my heartrate over 130 indoors doing cardio unless i"ve been doing squats or cattlebell swing beforehand.:)
Not getting lost on the calorie count, this was just an observation of mine is all. My heartrate got pretty high on this, up to about 180. As soon as I get off the phone with motorola warranty service today (been on hold for about 15 minutes now) I will be working out on it again and today I am going to be trying one of the per-programmed programs on it. I should be good for half hour to forty five minutes today timewise I think unless this phone call lasts a lot longer than planned.

My shins both seem to be doing better, so hopefully I will be ok for my 5k race this Sunday. Really hoping to not have to bail on it as I have a friend of mine that I don't get to do much with anymore racing with me and I will feel like I am letting him down, but I am mentally ready for not getting a PR (which I was on pace to do in my training until this stupid injury to my shins last week).

45 minutes on the elliptical on the cross training setting. Holy cow that kicked my butt. My wife hollared up at me to make sure I wasnt having a heart attack. :) I really like this machine and am learning how to use it so the longer stride doesnt bother me so much. Sweating pretty badly 25 minutes later still so standing outside barefoot in shorts and short sleeve tee in 30 deg F weather trying to cool down. Wow what a good little workout. I like how this doesn't seem to hurt my leg muscles much and yet I still feel like I get a great workout in.

8.6 miles at 23°F (dry) in my Moc3's with wool socks. When I first put them on, I was surprised that they actually felt tight across the ball of the foot for the first time. Either my foot has spread further and/or I have spent so much more time barefoot that it is more noticeable. Still, they were great for the run. If my foot is wider, I'm hoping that since the Moc3's are leather, they will stretch some.

Side note: I think I need some special straps to keep my shirt from hiking up. My tummy was getting chilled, even though it was still under my jacket. It's not like I have a beer belly or anything, though!

8.6 miles at 23°F (dry) in my Moc3's with wool socks. When I first put them on, I was surprised that they actually felt tight across the ball of the foot for the first time. Either my foot has spread further and/or I have spent so much more time barefoot that it is more noticeable. Still, they were great for the run. If my foot is wider, I'm hoping that since the Moc3's are leather, they will stretch some.

Side note: I think I need some special straps to keep my shirt from hiking up. My tummy was getting chilled, even though it was still under my jacket. It's not like I have a beer belly or anything, though!
Maybe try some thermo shirt cyclists use,they're longer and tuck in very well...;)

Reactions: happysongbird

On cold, windy days, I tuck my top into my running tights. No, the wind on the belly issue is not a fun one.

7.7km on the beach this morning. I felt a little bit flat, but I woke up a little by the end. I planned on doing 7km, but there were three women running in the opposite direction right where I would usually turn around and I thought it might look super-dodgy if I did a U-turn right next to them.

I saw another guy running barefoot on the beach with a shod mate - that's 3 this week, which is rare. We get a fair few tourists over the Christmas period though, so I might start seeing some unfamiliar faces.

Gorgeous colors! And still in shorts!

I had a feeling it would be my last run in shorts for the year. -25 F. for a low this morning with 8 inches of snow on the ground. Walked from the car to the house barefoot at -18. Not even going to run shod in these temps., but also, I'm for once giving myself a proper taper for a race this weekend.

I ran at the low of the freezing temps, for almost an hour, probably about 3.75 miles - IN MEN'S SLIPPERS - I just couldn't bring myself to put my wet, freezing cold, toe-less, VFFs on... Despite the freezing temperatures, I will be stuck with sweating no matter what. But I am SUPER happy to have ran!

Sunday... choice of run or hike with kids... easy call... hike with kids. 4 miles on one of my fav. trails.

Monday... was near Pekin where the Potowatomi Trail Ultra is held (McNaughton Park), so I went by. Went 9.5 miles on it.... wanted to go an extra 25 minutes... but discomfort inside ankle/arch area of lefty. I don't know if this is because I've been pushing milage or because I'm wearing VFF or both.... but the first time I ran this trail I wound up with a locust thorn right in the middle of my forefoot.

I haven't been telling you all, or really very many folks... but I've been trying to ramp up for the 50 miler there in April.... I'm starting to think it isn't going to happen this year.

2 weeks ago after long run it was the right achilles being "poppy". This time the arch/ankle swelly discomfort.... is my body telling me that you (I) cannot go from smoker to ultra-runner in 8 months? All while running in a manner completely different than I did in high school and college some 18 years ago? Muscles, skeleton all seem fine with the milage. Just the feet/ankles/achilles complain, ligaments/tendons/metatarsals...... Distance feels awesome in my legs, core, back, shoulders, etc... just these D$*& feet.

Yesterday.... I went out to see if I could run on the left. I made about 1.5 miles and walked the last 1/2 home.

Because there are 2 things here.... long runs, and min-shoes.... don't know for sure which is causing problems.... or both? But with the cold setting in.... BF in single digits doesn't sound great to me for long runs.......

Great 3 mile run at 4:45am 43 deg. f. wind chill 33 deg. f.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7