Mileage Reporting 49th Week 2013

I haven't run in the Moab area yet. I know they have quite a few good races over there. I wonder how the weather was for the Moab race, huge storm in my area that I was out in for 10 hours.

Don't worry about your Altra shoes, I have quite a collection myself. Maybe we can all join forces and have them make a more minimal shoe.

I saw pictures, and there was a lot of snow on the ground. One of my friends had a PR, though. I went running this morning, and for some reason accidentally checked the Moab temperature on my iPhone. At 8:00 this morning, it was 3F there. That's got to be pretty unusual! I've done both of the road half-marathons in Moab (The Canyonlands in March, and The Other Half in October) twice each, and they're great races. Very well organized, and lots of fun. I would like to do the trail half-marathon someday. I would have done it this year, but one of the bands I play in had a gig that night, and I wouldn't have made it back in time.

As far as the Altras go, I'm not worried about them (other than a generalized nagging worry that I have too many pairs of running shoes!). I view barefooting AND shoes both as tools. I have definitely noticed an improvement in my form, comfort, and even speed since I started messing around with minimalist shoes last year and barefooted running earlier this year.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
I ran 2 miles in the aftermath of Bodil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Bodil). Around 2-3 degrees C, but windy and sleet whipping your face. It was easier to run in the snow (before it melted) than on gravel, but I didn't dare to run on asphalt: they're quick to salt here.
Great fun. Looking forward to real snow this winter.
Now I'll guesstimate what the wind chill factor was for the winter challenge. (I usually disregard it.)

Reactions: happysongbird
Reactions: jldeleon
Saturday - 50 mile race, Expedition St. George. I don't know how I pulled it off, but having help from my wife, brother, and sister in-law saved my race. Frozen hands at mile 22 nearly had me drop out. After warming up I continued on and at mile 30, had my brother and sister in-law alternate pacing to get me to the finish. 21 miles in sandals and then record snowfall for the area forced me to wear shoes for the remainder. This was a relay race with most teams having 5 members. A few 2 person teams and 3 Ultra runners. One guy no showed and I don't know if the other finished, so at least a second place finish. I feel guilty about having all this aid for a 50 miler, but the conditions were pretty extreme, the weather, not the course. I finished way faster than expected at 9 hours 40 minutes (had to stay warm). A sore knee and foot possibly from a faster pace. Taking a break from running for a while and dusting off the cross country skis.

Still smiling after 42 miles. Not very minimal with my shoes and huge mittens.

wow 50 Great Job!
the farthest I have gone was 27 you look to be holding up good at 42!!
Enjoy the skis!

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
i forgot to add that on my run sunday i sped up as i warmed up. went faster than my maf test. i'm going to be on a ketogenic diet for a few months to lose some weight and hopefully get faster. :happy:

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test