Mileage Reporting 24th Week of 2013

30 minutes in the pool. Turned up the current speed some and was pleased with how my stroke stayed together. Then, 45 minutes on the spinning bike. A bunch of weeding. Am still kind of tired from yesterday evening's effort, so tried not to over do it today so I can enjoy my long run of the week tomorrow! Still dealing with some pretty painful cracks in my feet in spite of much tending.

5 mi trail run. Being that I'm trying a new eating plan (one with markedly less cookies and Triscuits) I lost power on the way back, so it took 1:11 (which is closer to my 10K trail time). Been trying to limit myself to unprocessed foods, which makes it difficult to find something quick/easy to eat before a run if you forget your banana and almonds (or, rather, if I forget my banana and almonds)

Monday 6/10/2013
Bottom ST.

40 minutes, just had time for the essentials—deadlifts, power cleans, squats, good mornings, leg extensions, and incline sit-ups. The week off from exercise seems to have refreshed me a bit. On most exercises I felt like I was about ready to bump up the weight to the next increment. Maybe next week. I may have to think about taking a week off every three months or so as a regular part of my exercise regimen. Still, could be a dangerous tactic. After about a week I lose a lot of motivation to get back to it.

Tuesday 6/11/2013
9.37 mi / 15 km run
9.92 mi / 16 km total
77 F partly cloudy.

After a very productive work day, and feeling a bit sore from the prior day’s ST workout, I decided a nice easy run was in order. So I drove down to the Mississippi River, parked on a side street paralleling the River Parkway road, and then ran down the east side of the parkway, crossed over to the west bank on Ford Parkway Bridge, then ran into the VA Home’s park, over a small bridge over Minnehaha Creek, a bit farther on stopped to look at Minnehaha Falls, which were loudly beautiful at high volume after all the recent rain, then four miles up the west side of the parkway to Franklin bridge, over that and back down to where I started on the parkway. I walked the last ¼ mile or so back to the car.

Nice.

I didn’t feel any real fatigue or strain, but also didn't really feel like running any more once I had completed the circuit. The 9-10 mi range is the perfect long run distance for me at this point. I was totally in a zone for most of the run, just cruising along, although a coupla phone calls took me out of it briefly as I walked and talked a bit, as well as the last half-mile or so of mild chipseal, which felt kind of harsh because by that time my soles were starting to become a little sensitive. It was a drag to come out of my zone and switch gears to accommodate the different surface.

So, anyway, I guess after more than a month of doing lesser distances, I can still coast in the 9-to-10-mile range without too much trouble, and I was about 30 seconds per mile faster than on previous efforts at similar distance. The ‘just run/listen to your body’ approach is producing results.

I recently bought an Icebreaker Merino wool light t-shirt, and have been impressed. It’s pricey, but it doesn’t stink like the plastic shirts, and works just as well or better at wicking the moisture away from the skin and preventing chaffing. On Sunday's run in the drizzle it kept me warm and dry, but wasn't too hot when the sun came out towards the end. Yesterday, I experienced the same comfort at higher temps and humidity and almost no rain.

I agree with Nick about smart phones. I have no use for one because I spend so much of my time close to a computer with email, internet access, and so on, readily at hand.

@Dutchie: Good luck on this weekend's half!

A slow 5km (3.1mi) today, that's before a reasonably fast 13km (8mi) tomorrow. I had a bit of a scare this morning, waking up to a pain in my right achilles, but this disappeared after a foam roller session...This thing does magic !!!
When in doubt, massage, roll, and stretch!

5 mi trail run. Being that I'm trying a new eating plan (one with markedly less cookies and Triscuits) I lost power on the way back, so it took 1:11 (which is closer to my 10K trail time). Been trying to limit myself to unprocessed foods, which makes it difficult to find something quick/easy to eat before a run if you forget your banana and almonds (or, rather, if I forget my banana and almonds)
I usually have homemade chocolate chip cookies on hand, some of the flour therein being fresh ground here in my kitchen. Nuts and real butter in them, too. This are really good snacks! Shall I send you some in the mail? ;)

2.05 miles today at avg 10:57 pace (second mile was a 10:27) in my lunas with quite a few little rolling hills, plus I did about 45 minutes in the gym doing ST of chest, triceps, and abs. Really starting to feel good and strong again. Hopefully I can keep this up. I am noticing since finding that I need to roll my lower legs on a tennis/softball that I am having to do this less and less and am feeling better and looser, if this makes sense. I think maybe once you get the knots, trigger points or whatever, worked out, you get them less or at least less severe ones. I am also trying so hard not to camp out at the mailbox today as I am expecting my new luna monos to arrive. I am so excited to check them out, yet also nervous because my last lunas were custom made for my feet, while these are from their new standard sizing. Hope the standard size fits... The one thing I hate about Luna is how slow they are on every order, no matter whether it is a diy kit, traditional leather laces, standard sizing sandals, or custom sized sandals. It all seems to take the same amount of time to ship, which is a week to two weeks. They do produce a quality product though so I guess that this is the trade off???

I usually have homemade chocolate chip cookies on hand, some of the flour therein being fresh ground here in my kitchen. Nuts and real butter in them, too. This are really good snacks! Shall I send you some in the mail? ;)

Oh sure. Taunt me.

Side story IRT cookies: A while back a buddy of mine bet me that I'll marry the first woman that bakes me chocolate chip cookies. 'Course, I'd be 700 lbs by the first anniversary, but still...

Oh sure. Taunt me.

Side story IRT cookies: A while back a buddy of mine bet me that I'll marry the first woman that bakes me chocolate chip cookies. 'Course, I'd be 700 lbs by the first anniversary, but still...

The problem is that women who bake cookies tend to share them freely with men regardless of the interest in marriage, just to be nice, and because baking cookies is fun.
Would you then imprint on her like a little duckling? What if SHE had no idea sharing chocolate chip cookies was a proposal? Wasn't this a B movie? With whatshername and that guy?
And we won't go into grandma types you may meet who bake cookies for everyone. Then what would you do? Don't answer.

I decided I was really, really tired and rested today, but I'd like to report that 3 of my kids are out running barefoot together right now! The 2 youngest girls (17 & 19) are training their oldest and very athletic brother (25) to run barefoot!

morning swim.
walking here and there, with kids and without, a few miles grand total, maybe
when kids were at swim time, some laps on the track and more kettlebell. avoided the bleacher steps cuz they are steep and deep and made my knees a bit crabby from going down them last night.
hot and muggy this evening, nice, like summer.
saw that one of the parents who brings a kid in for swim club sets up a hammock on a tree outside and takes a nap. also a good choice.

I am noticing since finding that I need to roll my lower legs on a tennis/softball that I am having to do this less and less and am feeling better and looser, if this makes sense. I think maybe once you get the knots, trigger points or whatever, worked out, you get them less or at least less severe ones.

This is true to an extent. You will probably end up with a handful of chronic trigger points that need to be worked out daily. They are usually close to the initial source of imbalance, so it's helpful in finding the location of "where it all began". I have about 4 that I need to work out regularly. But that's down from like 30 two years ago. :)

Wednesday afternoon
Middle ST workout, medium effort.
I think maybe once you get the knots, trigger points or whatever, worked out, you get them less or at least less severe ones.
That's been the case for me, for both my TOFP and my ITBS. It took me a while to get everything loose again, maybe 2-6 weeks, I can't remember that well, but once I did, I found it doesn't take nearly as much time or effort to maintain the looseness. These days I just massage/roll/stretch once or twice on my non-running day, and stretch and massage a bit before and sometimes during my run, and that seems to be enough.

2.04 miles today. Ran the first mile in the new Luna Mono's. My calves were not happy and they are slightly too long so probably going to have to see if I can get a different size. The way my calves protested I may have to think about doing the pacer instead of the monos (I actually had to walk a sight 50 foot hill that I don't know if I've ever walked...). I thought maybe my legs were just tired from all the running this week, but I put on my old pacers and turned around to go back uphill and my calves calmed down and felt great going up at the same pace I had done while going down. Maybe it was I had to work harder to lift my feet just a touch higher because I kept tripping due to the sandals being slightly too long... Not sure and I now have some decisions to make. I did find that I abso-fricking-lutely love the mgt footbed. My feet did not slip at all despite the rain. I also liked the ats laces although I noticed the sandal liked to kind of twist or slightly rotate off to the one side just a touch, making my foot sit on the sandal crooked a bit. Also went to the gym afterward and did ST of shoulders, biceps and abs.

3 miles of what was supposed to be a easy run but turned out to be about 1 minute a mile faster than the pace I was looking for. I am such a bad judge of pace, some runs that feel fast are slow, and some some runs that feel slow are fast. Last run before an attempt at a bare half, at least the weather looks like it is going to be on the cool side, I hope that holds true, should be a good day for a walk. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7