Mileage Reporting 24th Week of 2013

I still like to run with the Garmin though and check my data when I get back. It's a nice little pat on the back when I note some improvement, or go a bit faster than I thought I was going.
This is what I do to. I may look at the mileage periodically throughout the run, but that is to make sure I don't get myself into trouble by going out to far. I run by feel and then at the end of the run I look at the avg pace. I still like to have semi structured workouts, so I will plan ok I know I'm going for a long run so I need to make sure I keep my pace down, or I am going for a hilly medium'ish distance so I can push a little bit but don't kill myself, or I'm going out for a short and fast run so it's ok to go a bit faster than what feels comfortable as long as I can finish the run, but as you can see that's all based on how I feel for that particular day and not based on any arbitrary number goals.

I LOVE your haircut!
I typically wear mine short but I promised to grow it out.

Barefoot Dama said:
it looks awesome! awesome!:cool: Doesn't make you feel lighter?

Thanks! I truly appreciate your kind words. :embarrassed:

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
No exercise today as I am taking today as my off day instead of tomorrow so I can go run the trails with crazy Jen and her husband and maybe a couple other Oregonians tomorrow morning.

BTW - Rick had us sign his BRS shirt and I couldn't think of a witty name, and then it hit me...Crazy Jen (duh). :D

I still like to run with the Garmin though and check my data when I get back. It's a nice little pat on the back when I note some improvement, or go a bit faster than I thought I was going.

That is what I like to do. I don't pay a lot of attention to my Garmin during the run. I hardly get through the door after a run, however, and I head to the computer and upload the data. I like to look at the pretty map and see how it all adds up.

Bare foot PR yesterday; 1 mile! Worst part was the stinging feet which wasn't all that bad. Today was a rest day. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Ran 4 miles at 4:30 am, 82 deg. f., 61%rh. another excellent run. Saw lightning bug and 1 rabbits. feet good, legs good, very smooth.

Most people "pick" them up at the supermarket or a corner in a box, but I have grown them in my garden. The hardest thing about picking them is getting to them before the birds!

I see that no one picked up the arcane "On Golden Pond" reference :D

friday: morning swim, medium effort about one hour ten min
afternoon 2.5 "trot" (easy easy pace even for me: got a tight calf from running way too fast for my skill level the other night and i'm too lazy to work on it), sandals

evening: heading out for a walk

@happysongbird: love your pixie cut. farms nearby grow gorgeous fat berries we pick and eat and make jam with them. I wish I could say this is my only pig out food, but not.

@runningpirate:
a) what's a relationship
b) "on golden pond" you are so old

@Nick: good to see you posting regular runs: hows everything going with that? any pain/tightness?

This is what I do to. I may look at the mileage periodically throughout the run, but that is to make sure I don't get myself into trouble by going out to far. I run by feel and then at the end of the run I look at the avg pace. I still like to have semi structured workouts, so I will plan ok I know I'm going for a long run so I need to make sure I keep my pace down, or I am going for a hilly medium'ish distance so I can push a little bit but don't kill myself, or I'm going out for a short and fast run so it's ok to go a bit faster than what feels comfortable as long as I can finish the run, but as you can see that's all based on how I feel for that particular day and not based on any arbitrary number goals.
Yeah, doing that too, and since my goal is to improve time on HM, I really need structured runs...Last time I tried to do a program to improve my running time, I 'sort of' followed it, but did not really care about speed, and guess what ? I over did it and missed my goal (too much running, too fast). So this time, I am really trying hard to keep the pace recommended by the program, but for that, since I also (like dutchie53 and Lee!) suck at estimating my speed, I prefer to use my dumbphone

Anyway, today did 8.5km (5.3mi) slow (thats 6'20"/km or 10'10"/mi)...Only managed (despite the phone !!) to go down to 6'5"/km :eek: . The good thing is that I think I actually improved my form, which may help in the long term

@Nick: good to see you posting regular runs: hows everything going with that? any pain/tightness?
Thank you Sced! I am doing fantastic really. It seems everyday the tightness lightens up a bit. I have zero pain most days in the peroneal tendons where I was hurting before. Every now and again it will sneak up on me and just wallop me, but I get out my tennis ball and/or the softball and within a half hour I have all pain gone again. I haven't used either in about 3-4 days and still have no pain. I am keeping up on my light stretching though too, so I'm sure that helps tremendously in keeping everything at bay. I've also been exclusively running in my sandals and I really feel like everything is coming together for me and I am finding my form. Gives me a lot of hope that maybe in the future I can get back up to that half marathon distance.

Pirate, dammit! i love " on golden pond". i remember the first few times i didn't get it. after that i loved i. been a long though.

just walked the dogs today. tomorrow hoping to outrun "crazy jen", which is the best you can do, much better than "happy", and run with nick and the newbie.

Friday afternoon 6/14/2013
Top ST

Was able to do 225 max bench again. Finally. That’s a nice benchmark, so to speak. I then pyramided down in 10-pound increments, to 175, and then did most of the rest of my chest, shoulders, and arms strength-training routine. My left shoulder felt slightly nigglish though, right from the start, so I left out the harsher shoulder stuff, like lateral raises and face-pulls.

I’ll soon be prepping the yard (lawn-mowing, weed-wacking, and bush-trimming) for my daughter’s sixth birthday party later today, so no running/working out until tomorrow. I'll probably go back to taking Sunday as the beginning of the reporting week, so have a good rest of the 24th Week of 2013 you barefoot freaks!

@Laura: Nice do!

@Nick, great to hear you're making great progress. My only question is why it took you so long to try massaging and stretching! I guess I blathered on about their benefits so much that you just tuned it out.

Hey, anyone out there with sore feet or ankles or ITB or whathaveyou after a run:

TRY MASSAGING and/or STRETCHING BEFORE YOU ASSUME IT'S SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS!!!

@Nick, great to hear you're making great progress. My only question is why it took you so long to try massaging and stretching! I guess I blathered on about their benefits so much that you just tuned it out.
Actually Lee I had listened, I had tried rolling and massaging (by hand) and using my the little stick, but it didn't work. I think doing those things helps to keep me loose now at this point, but I think the knots were so deep and bad that it actually took the tennis ball and softball to get deep enough and work them out. Still amazed that the dr wanted to go all frankenstein on my foot and ankle...

4.8 miles trail
First run in a while. Headed out to the trail for a run at dawn. Encountered rain on the way there, and waited 15 min for it to clear. Sand was compacted from the rain. Grass on the back part of the trail hadn't been mowed in a while, but I pressed on. Thought some raindrops were pelting me on the head, then realized it was a swarm of various insects divebombing and biting me. I hurried back towards the main trail, swatting at the insects eating me alive. I'm not too self-conscious about running barefoot, but I felt a bit silly running from the swarm and swatting at them, like some cartoon scene. The rest of the run was uneventful.