Mileage Reporting 15th Week of 2013

Do you mean little things about the run, or little things about life? Just curious how it works for others.
Because for me, the fatigue sets in and little things like a pebble stuck in my foot make me fly into a rage, but the big problems in the rest of my life, well, they don't make the radar. A two sided coin of sorts. Definitely a game with one's self, isn't it?

I wish I could answer your question scedastic, but I don't usually push myself to that physical and mental state enough to be able to learn from it, or even understand the psychology.

8 miles with Fartleks against a stiff wind. A lot of times the wind was enough to be repositioning me on the path between steps! Okay, I suppose the wind was behind me about some of the time, but there were also sideways blasts. And I lost a little skin and drew a little blood on the inner side of one foot, due equally to my dog and another passing dog being bad at the same time. I slid off the path into the rocks. It was only about mile 2 and it made me mad. :mad: I stopped feeling it after about another mile during the run, but it stings some now. If it had been on a more used part of my foot, I might not have been able to keep going, but that part doesn't hit the pavement a lot. On the bright side, 8 miles no longer feels like a "long" run.

Had to go for an emergency to Europe, so first run of the week today, and did 9,5km (6mi) in Geneva, I was a bit concerned about the roughness of the road, but that was surprisingly good. What surprised me was the narrowness of the footpath....What I enjoyed was the feeling of wet ground, wet leaves on the ground...Awesome !

Tuesday afternoon
4.13 mi / 6.65 km
41 F / 5 C
29 F / -1.6 C windchill

Once again kitchen fire business slowed me up while heading out the door. Today they removed all the cabinets, stove, oven, cupboards, and flooring. Looking forward to having a new fridge. I want the kind with the freezer on the bottom, so I can see stuff on the bottom of the fridge part.

Anyway, I wanted to run an hour, only got in four miles. The rain cleared by early afternoon, so the surfaces were dry by the time I started my run around 4:20pm. My feet still felt abraded from Saturday's run. Hard to say if it was the distance, pace, rain, or cold, or all four, but for some reason that run was pretty harsh on my soles. I still have two red spots and a few other areas where the skin is coming off a bit.

Still, it was a good run. At 9:40 mm pace, it was somewhere between aerobic and tempo pace, or perhaps my aerobic pace has dropped below 10mm now. Hard to say. I certainly didn't feel like stopping. Similar to what Laura said, my new normal is to run at least an hour, somewhere in the 6-8-mile range. Anything less feels unsatisfying.

I spent another 30-60 minutes early yesterday morning plotting new ten-mile-and-over routes. Once you get up to that distance, a lot of out-n-back possibilities open up. I noticed that I can run over to Minneapolis now. I live right on the border between St. Paul and Minneapolis, and there's a nice bike path that follows the U of M bus route that links the St. Paul campus to the Minneapolis campus, where regular traffic isn't allowed. To get on it I just have to hop over the railroad tracks a few blocks away. Once on that, I have a clear shot to the historic Stone Arch Bridge near downtown Minneapolis, thru part of the Minneapolis campus, and then over to the west side of the Mississippi River, and then back home after crossing the river again over another bridge some miles south of the Stone Arch bridge, through a neighborhood just to the south of mine. Should be fun and relatively traffic-free -- will have to check it out on Saturday.

On today's run there was a stiff wind, but it was warm enough that I could run without a hat and gloves, and could leave my silly tights at home, running with just the top layer, my sweat pants. Hopefully next week I can begin running in my shorts again. But looking out of my window this morning, I see snow on the cars in the driveway. WTF? If it snows any more, I may have to wear shoes on Thursday's run, which might be good I guess, to give my sore soles a bit of a rest before Saturday's macro run.

Anyway, by the time I got to my son's day care, at 5:10pm, my son was leaning against the window with a bunch of other toddlers, like puppies in the window of a pet shop. But unlike the old place, at this new day care all the shorties looked happy while waiting for the grandies to come pick them up. This new place is a definite improvement over the old one, but the extra driving is kind of a drag. After picking up the little guy, we went to get my daughter and played out in the schoolyard a bit before coming home to some nice ribs and Tempranillo wine.

I wish I could answer your question scedastic, but I don't usually push myself to that physical and mental state enough to be able to learn from it, or even understand the psychology.
Skedaddle, I hear ya. I don't like running fatigued. I like to run just up to that point where I'm starting to feel tired, and then stop. On the other hand, stopping well before I start to tire, like on yesterday's run, isn't much fun either.

500 to 1000 sit-ups in one setting. Wow! Now that would be brutal! You must have had a gut of steel. I have been doing some sit-ups but the number I do is NOWHERE near 500.
Yah, on top of that, all the kicks one does in karate are also equivalent to doing ab work. Still, if you're not braced for it, all the ab work is useless if someone kicks you in the gut when you're exhaling and unprepared. If I ever get back into karate, it won't be another full-contact style, that's for sure. I'm too old for that sh!t now.
I got a lecture from the wife too last night. Pretty sternly as a matter of fact. I don't feel any worse for doing it, but it doesn't mean I did the right thing. I'm just so tired of being sick and having injuries. I just wish they would have done an mri a year ago instead of all this stupid guess work. It's the guess work that gets me, they seem to think they might maybe kind of know what is going on so we'll treat it one way, only to then have to come up with a new idea of what the problem maybe kind of almost presents like. Am I just maybe too nice when I go in? Should I be demanding an mri so we can just figure this crap out once and for all?
I would. At the University of Chicago, everyone goes by Mr./Ms./Mrs., not Dr., so as not to be confused with medical doctors.
Certainly my experience with sports medicine guys hasn't been great. The first guy told me that my TOFP was a stress fracture, when in fact I had referred pain from tight shin muscles. The second guy had no idea I had an MCL spain. It took Dama to come up with the right diagnosis.

Well yesterdays winter (shhh don't say that w word) storm gave us high winds and about 1/2 inch of ice on well pretty much everything. Looks like its back to the exercise bike for a couple days as me and my toes voted on going for a run after work tonight. With temps at 25 F now and a high expected to be 32 F I was out voted 10 (toes) to 1 (me). Stationary bike it is. Barefoot of course.:)

8 miles with Fartleks against a stiff wind. A lot of times the wind was enough to be repositioning me on the path between steps! Okay, I suppose the wind was behind me about some of the time, but there were also sideways blasts. And I lost a little skin and drew a little blood on the inner side of one foot, due equally to my dog and another passing dog being bad at the same time. I slid off the path into the rocks. It was only about mile 2 and it made me mad. :mad: I stopped feeling it after about another mile during the run, but it stings some now. If it had been on a more used part of my foot, I might not have been able to keep going, but that part doesn't hit the pavement a lot. On the bright side, 8 miles no longer feels like a "long" run.

Cant wait until I can run 8 miles! Actually I'll be satisfied when I can reach a 10k distance.
Ive tried to take my minature schnauzers running with me one at a time as two is a handfull. It seems as though they run good a little ways then slam on their brakes to stop and smell the roses if you know what I mean. Ive been thinking about taking our black schnauzer Wemblie on some consecutive runs to try to break her from such frequent stops. We will see what happens. She is a couple years younger than our silver haired schnauzer Millie.

It sounds like Lee wil be doing his strength training outside tomorrow shoveling snow. Bend the knees and watch the back with that heavy spring snow Lee. :)
Well, I do have my Back ST workout scheduled for today, and we could get up a foot of snow by the time this system moseys on late Thursday, but mos' proly I'll just let the stuff melt. Highs are supposed to remain in the upper 3os, and then lower 40s this weekend (5C or above).

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Changed up plans today was just going to walk but its suppose to storm tomorrow so I did tomorrows run early. Ran on the local rough hilly roads...1/2 mile walk than about 5 miles on an out and back then another 1/2 mile cool down walk. Not much cool down really it was about 80F when I finished...road was getting hot at the end.

This is working good alternating runs on the chip seal roads and smooth park pavement...only had to run the painted lines about 10% of the way today. Feets still in good shape no blisters yet.

The Pine pollen picking up here dodged a couple small pollen clouds drifting by...hopefully tomorrows rain will wash it away for friday.

And just for Dama I ran the whole way, no watch or HR monitor not even running cloths just cutoffs, cotton t-shirt and baseball cap.

Now its time for a couple hours of yard work.

Changed up plans today was just going to walk but its suppose to storm tomorrow so I did tomorrows run early. Ran on the local rough hilly roads...1/2 mile walk than about 5 miles on an out and back then another 1/2 mile cool down walk. Not much cool down really it was about 80F when I finished...road was getting hot at the end.

This is working good alternating runs on the chip seal roads and smooth park pavement...only had to run the painted lines about 10% of the way today. Feets still in good shape no blisters yet.

The Pine pollen picking up here dodged a couple small pollen clods drifting by...hopefully tomorrows rain will wash it away for friday.

And just for Dama I ran the whole way, no watch or HR monitor not even running cloths just cutoffs, cotton t-shirt and baseball cap.

Now its time for a couple hours of yard work.

You ran the whole time? me thinks not! you could have cooled down with a slow jog you know :playful:
Nice job despite your little walks ;)

Reactions: scedastic
A cold, rainy, windy and whimpy three mile run. I cut the run short cause my toes went really numb so I turned around and finished my workout in the fieldhouse with lower body crap.:(
I could have gone on the indoor track and finished my run there but my feet were cringing just thinking about it
If the weather continues to be like this I am going to go on a running strike untill the nice weathet comes back :mad:

@Laura-very soon your eight mile runs are going to be your warm up miles-you'll see.

A cold, rainy, windy and whimpy three mile run. :(
I could have gone on the indoor track and finished my run there but my feet were cringing just thinking about it
If the weather continues to be like this I am going to go on a running strike until the nice weather comes back :mad:

3 miles outside in crappy weather still beats running indoors any day. Full Spring should be there shortly...no slacking allowed.:D

You ran the whole time? me thinks not! you could have cooled down with a slow jog you know :playful:
Nice job despite your little walks ;)

Oh I did run the whole time on the run part and I'll be back at my slow running with walking the hills...I did that almost all of last summer and ended up in my best fastest running shape ever.

3 miles outside in crappy weather still beats running indoors any day. Full Spring should be there shortly...no slacking allowed.:D

Oh I did run the whole time on the run part and I'll be back at my slow running with walking the hills...I did that almost all of last summer and ended up in my best fastest running shape ever.

You're right I shouldn't be complaining but I was having so much fun since Saturday with the beautiful weather we were having. I know there will be better days.
Uhm, about the slacking I was thinking that if tomorrow's weather is like today's I am not so sure about my runI might skip it:p
When you walk the hills do you walk just on your way down or going up also.
I like running up and walking down but is just me.
That's why I like running hills it's a wonderful speed builder on disguise although I haven't done much hill running yet.

Reactions: mokaman
When you walk the hills do you walk just on your way down or going up also. I like running up and walking down but is just me.
That's why I like running hills it's a wonderful speed builder on disguise although I haven't done much hill running yet.

I run the little hills just slower than normal, the med or bigger hills I walk sorta fast usually. Downhill I run as fast as I can without spiking my heart rate...its great speed training for your legs only the rest of your body is just cruising like on the flats. Running the uphills really fast is good training for sprint intervals...that sounds like what your doing. I've been to Iowa some...I don't think there's a lot of hills there but its not flat either at least in the south part of Iowa.

Trying do fast downhill barefoot trail running is another story...I run a little faster than normal but the terrain is the limiter there.

I run the little hills just slower than normal, the med or bigger hills I walk sorta fast usually. Downhill I run as fast as I can without spiking my heart rate...its great speed training for your legs only the rest of your body is just cruising like on the flats. Running the uphills really fast is good training for sprint intervals...that sounds like what your doing. I've been to Iowa some...I don't think there's a lot of hills there but its not flat either at least in the south part of Iowa.

Trying do fast downhill barefoot trail running is another story...I run a little faster than normal but the terrain is the limiter there.

Where abouts in Iowa? depends where in Iowa are you, there are some areas with good size hills, nothing compare to Georgia perhaps but they do the trick for training.
I don't run downhill because my bad back/hips won't take it, I am extremely careful when going downhill but I do enjoy running the up portion although I don't go really fast because I CAN'T I go by effort.
Are you doing MAF method?

Played around on my favorite trail for an hour and a half today and experienced a super-awesome downpour along a super muddy section I had never been on before! Here are some photos during the brief sunbreak!

Attachments

• 20130410_131009 - Copy.jpg
    20130410_131009 - Copy.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20130410_131009.jpg
    20130410_131009.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20130410_131344 - Copy.jpg
    20130410_131344 - Copy.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 8
Spent about 40 minutes in the pool, but the heater wasn't working, so it was a bit brisk. Also, the current generator had to be off for some of the time so that dear hubby go look at things, so I just pretended I was a mermaid in the still water. Told dh, and bless him, he said, "you're just pretending?"
Did a lot of squats working on the chicken pen, too. Oh, and upper body mixing and kneading 4 loaf batch of bread.
I get to add bending rebar to the day...

3.6 km barefoot this morning. Starting to push up the barefoot distance again after being stuck on 3km for a month or two and backing off whenever my calves felt sore. Everything feels good right now.

Starting to get to the point where I have to make a change to my long shod/short bf alternating run plan - I feel another over-analysis thread coming on. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7