Mileage Reporting 15th Week of 2013

Hahaha I agree I do have way better hip movement than he does for sure :)
Yeah, always funny to watch white people dance.
I think you have a good plan postponing your until Saturday I am sure is going to be ok.
Yeah, ended up doing a reduced version of my "Bottom" ST workout: Trap bar deadlifts, Barbell deadlifts, Leg extensions, steps and jumps with my plyometric cinder block, and a bunch of ab stuff. No squats or most of the other stuff I do for my legs and hip/butt area, since I'll be doing the same workout on Sunday, after Saturday's run.

Another reason not to run yesterday, in addition to the slush and crampy calf, was to give my somewhat abraded soles a little more time to recover. I'm feeling it especially on the outer edge of the forefoot, which is where I felt it last fall when I did 440 and 880 intervals down on the sandy gravel track. So I'm thinking it's been caused by both all the post-winter debris that awaits the street sweepers, and by the somewhat faster paces I've run on a few of my recent runs. If I end up not doing a continuous run on Saturday, I may try to push a little beyond 10 miles, maybe up in the 11-12 mile range, since on Saturday runs I don't have the same time limits that I do during the week, and I'm really anxious to explore some of the longer routes I mapped out earlier this week.

Going to try to give up coffee today. It's not really a problem--I do 2-3 shots of espresso per day--but lately I've been wondering if it's such a good idea to take any kind of drug on a daily basis. I want my metabolism/physiology to figure things out on its own.

Lee I don't have a bar, which is why I always use dumbbells for all of my exercises.
Opps, sorry, I forgot about that.

I did it again today, ran 1.11 miles shod again (this time in some inov8's that are way more minimal than the kinvaras) after having zero issues on Monday.

Nick, I think it you're not feeling any pain, 1-mile runs are ok, but I would build up very, very slowly, since you've had so much trouble with this. Maybe even just add one mile to your runs per month, until you get up to around five miles. That may seem ridiculously cautious, but you're in this for the long haul, and with this plan you'd still be running close to an hour by the end of summer.

As for the creeps, I think you did the right thing. They could be harmless guys reminiscing about their childhoods, or they could have bad intentions, you never know. There's a lot of f*cked up people out there, that's for sure.

@Lee-"Going to try to give up coffee today. It's not really a problem--I do 2-3 shots of espresso per day--but lately I've been wondering if it's such a good idea to take any kind of drug on a daily basis. I want my metabolism/physiology to figure things out on its own".

Wow that's a lot of caffeine me thinks and you wonder why you "have" imsomnia? I only have two cups of coffee in the morning and that's it, my drink of choice for the rest of the day is water/green tea but mostly water. Good luck on your loooong run tomorrow it should be fun I hope the weather is nice tomorrow because if it isn't I might skip my long run-that's right!

@Lee-"Going to try to give up coffee today. It's not really a problem--I do 2-3 shots of espresso per day--but lately I've been wondering if it's such a good idea to take any kind of drug on a daily basis. I want my metabolism/physiology to figure things out on its own".

Wow that's a lot of caffeine me thinks and you wonder why you "have" imsomnia? I only have two cups of coffee in the morning and that's it, my drink of choice for the rest of the day is water/green tea but mostly water. Good luck on your loooong run tomorrow it should be fun I hope the weather is nice tomorrow because if it isn't I might skip my long run-that's right!

Yah, that's part of it, but I get insomnia even without caffeine. I don't sleep very much to begin with, but sometimes I wake up 1-3 hours before I've rested completely and my mind immediately starts thinking of what I need to do that day, and then it becomes impossible to turn it off. But I've gotten pretty good at functioning with mild sleep deprivation.

But back to those espressos:
1.) Espresso actually has less caffeine than regular coffee: Drip coffee has about 100mg of caffeine in a six-ounce cup. A single shot of espresso has about 25mg of caffeine. Espresso seems like it must have more cuz you feel the effect all at once. Kind of like a shot of tequila versus several beers or something;
2.) I never have caffeine after noon, because that really does provoke insomnia;
3.) I'm twice as big as you, so 2-3 shots for me is 1-1.5 shots for you.
4.) I don't suffer caffeine withdrawal, so I don't think I'm physically addicted--it's more of a psychological thing, to deal with being chained to my desk. When I have an active life I don't drink coffee at all. I'm thinking of running around the block a couple of times during the day or doing burpees or something to get the blood flowing.

Bare Lee, post: 125723, member: 2949"]
But back to those espressos:
1.) Espresso actually has less caffeine than regular coffee: Drip coffee has about 100mg of caffeine in a six-ounce cup. A single shot of espresso has about 25mg of caffeine. Espresso seems like it must have more cuz you feel the effect all at once. Kind of like a shot of tequila versus several beers or something;
2.) I never have caffeine after noon, because that really does provoke insomnia;
3.) I'm twice as big as you, so 2-3 shots for me is 1-1.5 shots for you.
4.) I don't suffer caffeine withdrawal, so I don't think I'm physically addicted--it's more of a psychological thing, to deal with being chained to my desk. When I have an active life I don't drink coffee at all. I'm thinking of running around the block a couple of times during the day or doing burpees or something to get the blood flowing.

Oh wow I didn't know it that explains my hyper energy level cause my coffee cups are not your typical 6/8oz size they're more on 12oz value and I drink two of them "cups" before work:D
And I DO suffer from caffeine withdrawl if I don't drink it but I do notice that I run better when I consume caffeine before my weekend run.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Nick, I think it you're not feeling any pain, 1-mile runs are ok, but I would build up very, very slowly, since you've had so much trouble with this. Maybe even just add one mile to your runs per month, until you get up to around five miles. That may seem ridiculously cautious, but you're in this for the long haul, and with this plan you'd still be running close to an hour by the end of summer.

As for the creeps, I think you did the right thing. They could be harmless guys reminiscing about their childhoods, or they could have bad intentions, you never know. There's a lot of f*cked up people out there, that's for sure.
Ya, I am taking it really slow with this running, although it seems to be at a semi-faster pace... I'm not trying to push the pace or anything, but just letting my body run the pace it wants to run, which for the short half mile stints at a time is around a 9:30-10 min/mile pace. I plan on going very slowly and I am still going to go see the doc next week and see if we can figure out what is causing this pain. As long as it isn't getting worse I am still going to try to run the short 1 mile runs 3 days a week. In a week or so I may increase that to a mile and a half for a couple more weeks and see how everything goes. I don't know if/when I will be able to go back to running fully barefoot, as it seems when barefoot my foot gets worse. Hopefully this new doc can figure this out so I can move on. I am glad the heel pain is completely gone, just wish this ankle/foot/peroneal longus tendon problem would go away.

Ya, I know I did the right thing as far as the bums, but I hate to be that busy body type you know? As a parent though, I would want the school to be notified of weirdos nearby so maybe they can be checked out before something happened. It's just very odd and weird to see those type of people out in my area. In fact I've never seen one person like that in probably a 5 mile radius of this area. That's one thing I really like about living in the burbs. Can't wait till I can move even farther away from the city out to the country (which may never happen at this point because we are so incredibly underwater on our condo and can't do anything to get out of it, short of foreclosure that is [which is not an option because we are not having a problem paying our mortgage, just have outgrown the place horribly bad]).

worked out this morning, 40 min elliptical, some weights, but this ain't going to be one of them 3 enthusiastic workouts per day deals. Body tired. Work. Tired. Crabby. Work.

Sorry:sorry:

1.17 miles shod at avg 10:21 pace. I didn't stop today at the halfway point like I had done the other two days, but I felt pretty good so hopefully I didn't overdo things. I feel ok so far so fingers and toes crossed. I figured out why these inov8's feel like there is a hump in the heel, it's because the inside is narrow in the heel and they wrap the upper kind of under foot, which creates the feeling of a hump for my wide feet. I'm sure narrow heels wouldn't feel this hump. Kind of weird though because I find the upper to be sloppy and loose in that heel area. Anywho, no more running until Monday, so feeling pretty happy with my week now as I've run 3 times now.

Took yesterday "off" to do yard work and work on the much needed chicken pen. Also, I felt like I needed to eat all day! Can't go on a long run and keep eating! Finding a balance with the calories needed for the longer running has been a little trying, as I may have mentioned, I have been also having some trouble with appetite. Don't know if it is aging, hormones, or what, but a lot of things just don't sound good. I do eat and drink healthy things, so I'm just trying to work with it.

BUT, last night dear hubby asked me if I wanted to wait and go on my long run with him Saturday. Can't say no to that, so today I just did a 2 mile speed work out. It was exhilarating! I think I will get in the pool later, too. Better go check the heater....

7.5 miles today, hills and headwinds. Worked a lot on my arm position, binging my hands more down to hip height seemed optimal for relaxation. Also focused on keeping my jaw relaxed when hitting the hills, I have a tendency to clench my teeth when under load which is just wasting energy.
Felt strong all the way round apart from the first few miles which I always find the toughest until the endorphins kick in and I find my rhythm.

Well the ice from last weeks storms finally melted away so yesterday I ran 3.5 miles as temps reached mid 40's. Could tell I had not ran in 5 day's due to weather. My ankles seemed a bit stiff at first but after spraying them with crisco everthing was fine. (just kidding about the crisco!) ;) After the first mile they seemed fine. Was slightly tired after the run though. Plan on another 3.5 today as temps will be about 60 with strong winds... again. Maybe I should strap on a sail and rollerblades instead of running but I've never figured out how to use the breaks so that would be a BIG problem.

No running yesterday or today... just walking a couple miles a day....and lots of yard work.

I did the QC marathon over a year ago? I haven't run another marathon since but it is BF friendly except for the bridge crossings are a little rough but not too bad the crossings are not too long either.
The weather is pretty good at that time of year except when I ran it it was too cold and rainy and I got hypothermic but it's ussualy high 60's low 70's and it is easy and flat.
Are you thinking on doing it? if you're I might be on marathon distance by then and who knows?
When is it you know?

I have a possible trip up to the Chicago area that week, so I was looking at the nearby races for on the way back. I found your race report...way to hang in there! Maybe the half marathon might be better depending what kind of shape I'm in...either way looks like a good place to run. I think the course may not be as rough now as when you ran it especially if it was warmer out. Its too far off to decide anything right now probably wont know until June or so but I'll keep it mind.

Friday afternoon,
Top ST workout

Almost blew it right in the beginning. I got good and warmed up with several sets of power cleans at low weight--75 lbs--put another 50 on the bar and then had to talk on the phone with the insurance guy about our inventory of appliances and food lost in the fire. That took 10-15 minutes, enough to lose my warm-up. When I got back to the weights, I did a set of power cleans with the heavier load and felt a slight niggle in my left shoulder. Oh brother I thought, don't tell me I tweaked that shoulder again. But the shoulder held and I did another set at that weight but didn't go up to the next level with another 50 lbs. I finished the rest of the workout at a leisurely pace, holding back just a bit on some of the other stuff, but nonetheless got a great pump throughout. Still, today, I'm feeling the shoulder just a bit. Good thing I got another week before I do that workout again.

So that's three st workouts in a row. Probably a good thing once in a while, to overtrain a bit, but it definitely felt like too much by the third day, yesterday. I know my routine would be boring for a lot of people, but the simple alternation between weights one day, and running the next, really works well for me, both physically and mentally. 48 hours rest for a given type of exercise is just right to keep me fresh and motivated.

And I'm really missing running -- it's been since Tuesday -- feels like forever. I'm going to try a new 12-mile route later today, an out-n-back that takes me close to downtown Minneapolis and along the Mississippi River. I'm going to leave a bit earlier than usual in case I need to walk some of it, and also to take plenty of stretching breaks as a precaution. I'll probably end up only running 9-10 miles of it. I'm still haunted by the way ITBS struck me suddenly out of nowhere last fall and left me dead in my tracks, barely able to walk. I know since then I've learned to stretch and massage better, but still, it's the only repetitive stress injury I've experienced that can come out of the blue like that, so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible with these bump-ups in distance.

1.17 miles shod at avg 10:21 pace. . . . so feeling pretty happy with my week now as I've run 3 times now.
Glad to hear the running is coming back Nick. Please promise me you're going to take it super slow. If I were you I'd stick to just one-mile runs for at least another week or two. Instead of the 10 percent rule, my method has been to slowly bring all three weekly runs up to around one hour, and then start pushing the distance on the last one, adding about one mile per month. I spent most of February and March in the 5-8 mile range before pushing up the distance again, even though I felt like doing it sooner. When I ran close to 10 miles on my long run last week, it felt pretty effortless, so I think the patience paid off.

Bummed that Winfield signed with your Hawks. They could be unstoppable for a year or two until they have to deal with the salary cap like everyone else . . .
this ain't going to be one of them 3 enthusiastic workouts per day deals.
So you're human after all. Another illusion destroyed.
Felt strong all the way round apart from the first few miles which I always find the toughest until the endorphins kick in and I find my rhythm.
Yah, it often takes me a mile or two to get into it. My pace usually picks up by 30-60 seconds after that, although sometimes I start out fast, or even too fast. Same with weights--I usually need about 10 minutes to get good and warmed up.

Hey Lee, no worries. I'm not increasing my mileage anytime soon nor much when I do increase it. As far as the Hawks signing Winfield, I am super excited about it. We have a good young cb, but unfortunately he has been injured a lot last two years. I think Winfield is insurance for him as he was only signed for a year.

Reactions: Bare Lee
15 barefoot miles at 7.25 pace - beautiful running day - and it felt easy!
I'm just getting ready to go out for my first 15 mile run. I don't think that will be my pace....