Mileage Reporting 11th Week of 2013

Think it's from dry skin due to swimming, not moisturizing the feet, and the horribly dry and cold winter we've had(my fingers had numerous sores and cracks that I did work on more diligently).
I developed some weird skin crack on index toes, or maybe cuts, dunno. Then I did a couple of runs in sandals no socks in wet weather, which made the entire bottoms of my feet red and raw and blistered in parts. Hurts a bit even w/ socks on. Ouchie.
It's now starting to appear as though spring has been cancelled in my area as well. Gonna sign a petition to have it reinstated.
hmmm, Idaho is dry and I've been swimming and running barefoot these last three years. Do you have to wear shoes the rest of the day? I find my feet are doing better overall the more that I can be barefoot throughout the rest of the day, too.:barefoot:

yep, done that more than once.

Yah, it makes sense that we would only look down when we're feeling best about our pace.

Set your garmin to show your "lap pace" (mine is autoset at 1mile). It shows your projected time to complete that lap (mile), given the average pace you've held up to the point when you read the dial. It prevents the "check me out I'm flying gonna look at my garmin now before I slow down to reasonable speeds" illusion, and I found that it kept me going a little faster overall, because I wouldn't want to get "behind" whatever I started at.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try when I'm running track laps, but sounds like it might not work for road running. And these days I don't really like looking at my Garmin that much while I'm road running anyway. I mostly run by feel, and then check the data when I get back or when I wake up the next day. I pretty much know or can feel what my aerobic (low heart rate) pace is (10-10:20mm), and what my lactate threshold is (9-9:20mm), but I'm still a bit vague about what I can sustain for 440, 880, or mile intervals on the track, so that lap pace function will be useful.

Yesterday I was running pretty much at my lactate threshold, and so was surprised when I looked down several times and saw me at 10-15 seconds below 9mm pace. 'Damn!' I thought, 'these constant base-building LSD runs over the last month have worked wonders!' But it was not to be. Still, the consistent running has helped, and my overall pace of 9:13 yesterday was a bit better than I had doing on December's intervals. And I doubt I could've run much faster, given the conditions (cold) and my current conditioning (still trying to get back to the 9mm pace of last summer), even if I had a little pace alert demon shouting at me. Maybe it's due to my years cycling, but I have a pretty good sense of what sustainable tempo or aerobic paces are for me. I guess that's partly why I'm befuddled by others' use of heart rate monitors.

Last sub-freezing run of the season?

Last, no, but hopefully one of the last. It's supposed to be up in the 40s by next weekend. Just as my feet have re-acclimated completely to numb running. I won't complain.

Not feeling like that around here, and I"m south of you. Snow, 20s for temps, snow, more snow on the way.
I'm over it, and nature doesn't seem to care.

Yah, we seem to be just north of a lot of snowstorms this year. We've only had two big ones. But you're in Michigan, right? You get a lot of moisture off the lake. Minnie is colder but drier.

I swear I don't have a competitive bone in my body, but there is something about being in a big crowd, and the race atmosphere, and the cheering people, that pushes one to do more than just "forget about speed."
Yah, we'll see. I'm definitely going to give it a try, and it helps that Dutchie and Dama will be there to help guide me through my maiden voyage. Still, I'm not much of a crowds and festival kind of guy, and even less so as I get older. A picnic or walk in nature with the kids is more my style.

Yeah, training can get boring. That's why I haven't signed up for any races. I like the idea of seeing what each day brings. I might be able to plan things out the night before, but that's probably it.
Yah, that's where I'm at now. I like the fact that I've learned about the different training protocols and what kind of fitness each kind of run develops, but I don't feel a need to stick to a strict schedule. Technically, Tues is supposed to be my tempo run, Thurs my intervals/fartleks/hills, and Sunday my long run, but I feel free to change that as it suits me. That's been my approach to weights/st. Yesterday, for example, I was really feeling the bench press, and so I pushed that a bit more than I usually do, and cut out a few exercises after that to make up for lost time. For next week's front st workout, maybe I'll try working those exercises a bit more to compensate, or not, or just go through the motions the whole workout if I'm not really feeling like pushing anything in particular. The only strict rule is to do at least something everyday, and about an hour of something most days.

Reactions: Sid
welp, got mixed up with the days and ran short of time for the run I had planned. Ended up doing a 6km slog through deep snow with Leni The Wonderdog. The snow was up to her belly, but she loves it! Boing! Boing!Boing! A joy to watch, except when she tears off in hot pursuit of a grouse or field rabbit, which happened again today. Then she just switches off everything she knows about being obedient. Took like fifteen full minutes to get her back. That's a long time when you don't have a lot of time, and are freezing to death.

Perhaps more than anything, I just don't like the idea of training. I'm really enjoying just going out and seeing what each run brings.........but I'm afraid of awakening my long-dormant ex-jock competitiveness and getting myself in trouble.

Mine was awakened a couple of days ago when the last 4 miles of a 15 mile run suddenly became one long fartlek. I was chicked 10 miles in and I enjoyed running behind her for a quarter mile or so before I decided I had really better pass her (she was very cute) and we both ran hard until shortly before my exit when there were a couple of minutes for conversation. She'd been going her race pace for a 1:30 1/2 and had less in the tank than me at the end.

Still not sure I'll be entering any races though!

hmmm, Idaho is dry and I've been swimming and running barefoot these last three years. Do you have to wear shoes the rest of the day? I find my feet are doing better overall the more that I can be barefoot throughout the rest of the day, too.:barefoot:

My hands are in nearly the same condition, and they are generally bare. My feet will not be bare until the snow is gone or I'm indoors. Snow, sandy grit, and salt is not what I want to walk on barefoot.
My skin does this any cold, dry winter, but has been made worse from the swimming. If I don't moisturize my hands like crazy, I develop cracked sores and bleeding on my fingertips and between my fingers. It would be nice if barefoot coudl cure it all.

Mine was awakened a couple of days ago when the last 4 miles of a 15 mile run suddenly became one long fartlek. I was chicked 10 miles in and I enjoyed running behind her for a quarter mile or so before I decided I had really better pass her (she was very cute) and we both ran hard until shortly before my exit when there were a couple of minutes for conversation. She'd been going her race pace for a 1:30 1/2 and had less in the tank than me at the end.

Still not sure I'll be entering any races though!

I know you're fast and all, but whew, you were able to converse after all that? Respect!

Reactions: NickW
My hands are in nearly the same condition, and they are generally bare. My feet will not be bare until the snow is gone or I'm indoors. Snow, sandy grit, and salt is not what I want to walk on barefoot.
My skin does this any cold, dry winter, but has been made worse from the swimming. If I don't moisturize my hands like crazy, I develop cracked sores and bleeding on my fingertips and between my fingers. It would be nice if barefoot coudl cure it all.
It's kind of funny about the barefoot thing, because I wear gloves for nearly everything with my hands: all manner of housework, almost all yard chores. I've had a long and terrible history of skin breakdown. I have learned to avoid soap whenever I can; when I do us soap, it is what would be called pure or basic, I guess. I usually buy it at the local Farmer's market. I think about doing "dirty" activities in chunks so that I don't have to wash too often. I have to be very selective about any moisturizers, since I am allergic to many. Olive oil is a standard for me, though for deep cracks, I will cover with vaseline and a bandaid off and on for a few days until they heal. I have a long history of eczema, too, but found that various ointments only made it worse. I've been know to have to get up in the middle of the night and soak my hands in ice water so that I wouldn't scratch them! That seems to have settled down the last couple of years. Hope you heal up soon.

Reactions: scedastic
cold, dry winter,

I should just say cold. Gotta be pedantic.
No matter how much it snows (and it snows a lot this year), the cold temps (often well below freezing, teens and below F) mean air won't hold much H2O, so it's dry inside and out. Humidifiers never seem to help much. Wood stove heat makes it even dryer. Hanging out in dry office buildings all day doesn't help either. Nor do the winter whines keep me moisturized. Waaaaaaa........................

Reactions: happysongbird
. I have learned to avoid soap whenever I can; when I do us soap, it is what would be called pure or basic, I guess. I usually buy it at the local Farmer's market.
Yeah, using lots of public bathrooms, being around kids, means I'm using the harsh stuff on my hands more often than usual. Good point.
And I'm terrible at remembering to moisturize, especially my feet, since I wear sandals a lot and hate putting lotion on the bottoms.

Reactions: happysongbird
Yeah, using lots of public bathrooms, being around kids, means I'm using the harsh stuff on my hands more often than usual. Good point.
And I'm terrible at remembering to moisturize, especially my feet, since I wear sandals a lot and hate putting lotion on the bottoms.
Well, just for the sake of comparison, I hardly ever put oil or moisturizer on my feet, and then only barely on the tops. I rarely do it to my hands because of the potential for irritation and it makes them slippery! But I use lip balm ALL the time. :p

My hands are in nearly the same condition, and they are generally bare.
As a guy, typically I don't moisturize. Though my wife got me some Neutrogena hand cream, which I use when needed, as it seems to do a better job than other stuff. I've also started moisturizing after swimming, as my skin was getting really itching. Also, started using conditioner, as my hair was starting to feel like plastic.

Intervals today, 8x2' with 1' recovery in between...A total of 6.7km (4.2mi). A great cadence (avg 95 during the intervals) and a stride of about 1m. I noticed that if my stride gets any longer than that, I will get groin pain, so being able to maintain that short stride is important. I did not push the speed too much (5'/km during the intervals)

Ran 3 miles today on my usual route. A bit sore in my calves from my Modayt run as I went farther than I should have. After my run today while walking back to my car I noticed that the gravel roads in the park I pass through to get to the trail where I run had been drug or raked so I decided to walk on the gravel to build the soles. Probably walked a bit over a quarter mile in the gravel and think that it did more for my soles than the 3 mile run on the paved trail. Tomorrow might walk in the gravel more as it does make a loop on the interior of the park.

Wednesday afternoon
Did a nice full version of my Top (shoulders & lats) strength-training, although I still held back a bit on max weights. My left shoulder continues to feel pretty good, and I was able to push the power cleans and military/shoulder presses more than I have in months. It's nice how the running and st are really starting to come together (knock on wood) at the same time. My new 2lb clubbells arrived just at the end of the workout, so I was able to work on those a bit more too. The lighter clubs are just right for practicing these new and strange movements, and I was able to get the hang of the single-arm double or 'heart-shaped' mills shown in the video I posted earlier in the week, using a mirror. Next time I'll try to coordinate both arms at the same time. This really is a terrific mobility exercise for the shoulders and, once I'm able to add more weight, it will be a pretty good strength training exercise as well. I'm pretty skeptical about newfangled exercises or fitness fads, but I think clubbells, or at least certain applications of the them, are the real deal and worth incorporating into almost any st routine. The jury's still out on the straps. So far they've felt like a poor man's version of cables, but I've yet to go through all the possible exercises. Will try to do that in the coming weeks.

Naw, not lost at sea; just injured on shore :D

No bouldering, but that's more of a schedule thing: At the beginning of the year, I was focusing on weights, spent Feb offline, now I have to get back in to running and I have a ride coming up (37 mi, not too bad, but I haven't been on a bike much this year) that I need to work on. Also, since the weather is nicer out here I've been on the motorcycle, more. This is not even counting the kayak and the Hobie Cat that will be broken out later on. Mix this in with some nice laziness, and it creates an activity conflict: Doing one activity usually comes at the expense of the others. Not a bad problem to have, but inconvenient, at times. Ultimately, I get to them all, though. So I can foresee some bouldering later on (if nothing else, a buddy wants to go climbing; he's on a shortish schedule because his wife is pregnant and after a certain point he won't have much time for a bit).

Sounds like you have a nice active lifestyle! Hopefully when my kids are a bit older I can start doing some more of that outdoorsy stuff, like kayaking or canoeing, too.

Ran 3 miles today on my usual route. A bit sore in my calves from my Modayt run as I went farther than I should have. After my run today while walking back to my car I noticed that the gravel roads in the park I pass through to get to the trail where I run had been drug or raked so I decided to walk on the gravel to build the soles. Probably walked a bit over a quarter mile in the gravel and think that it did more for my soles than the 3 mile run on the paved trail. Tomorrow might walk in the gravel more as it does make a loop on the interior of the park.
One of my vaguer goals this year is to get better at running on really rough surfaces. It'll be interesting to hear of your progress in this area.
:shy: There are some benefits to all this low heart rate training - recovery being one of them!
I thought low heart rate training was recovery!:playful:

But seriously, I've been enjoying building up my LSD runs this last month, and the greater aerobic fitness it has brought.:happy:
20 years is a long time to go without those. Good luck.
Yah, married life has its perks . . .

Reactions: Sid
4 easy miles yesterday. Wore my electronic toys yesterday. Pace of 10 min 15 sec, cadence 170, and a HR of 145. When I looked at my cadence chart it was not a smooth line up and down like a saw blade. Still a shuffling type run, as I was running I tried to think as to why it different now as opposed to summer. The only thing I could come up with is that winter running on snow and ice makes one to be careful. I for one can hardly wait for spring to arrive. The temps have dropped again and made last weeks slush into a frozen mess. Tried to get a barefoot 1 km micro run in but turned around after a block. The snow and ice chunks made it feel like I was on very sharp chunks of gravel. Where the heck is spring (temp with windchill yesterday afternoon was -18C)? :(

Perhaps more than anything, I just don't like the idea of training. I'm really enjoying just going out and seeing what each run brings, ready to bail on the day's plan at the first sign of trouble, but having signed up for a half-marathon in August makes me feel a certain pressure to keep improving every week, rather than just taking the improvements in their own time, as I do with strength training. I guess if I already knew I could run a half-marathon, I could just take it as it comes too, but right now I have to do my best not to amp up the distances prematurely. I admire the relaxed attitude a lot of people at BRS take towards races, but I'm afraid of awakening my long-dormant ex-jock competitiveness and getting myself in trouble.

I could learn from that paragraph Bare Lee.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon