Mileage Reporting 11th Week of 2013

Woohoo! Weighed myself today and I am 8 days into using the myfitnesspal app and watching the calories. I am down 4.6lbs!!! I'm finding that not all calories are the same though despite consuming only the recommended daily allotment. Some put weight on me while others seem to keep me losing weight. I am doing great and am feeling great and clear headed and am not starving! I love this app! Anyhow, gonna do some ST later but I was so excited about the weight loss I just had to share!

Woohoo! Weighed myself today and I am 8 days into using the myfitnesspal app and watching the calories. I am down 4.6lbs!!! I'm finding that not all calories are the same though despite consuming only the recommended daily allotment. Some put weight on me while others seem to keep me losing weight. I am doing great and am feeling great and clear headed and am not starving! I love this app! Anyhow, gonna do some ST later but I was so excited about the weight loss I just had to share!
Remember that it is normal to plateau periodically during the process, so don't get discouraged during those times. And weight tends to stay off most easily which is lost most gradually. Something about the body's set point, I think. Good work!

Reactions: Bare Lee
swam about 35 min yesterday, doing more "interval" type stuff, where I would go kind of hard (well, for me, that is) then take little breaks until I could just deal with starting again. not for any reason, only to mix it up a bit, cuz i don't follow plans for anything. i no listen.

i'm reporting yesterday's swim now cuz i did a whole lotta nothin today except crawlin about eating junk food.

Also it seems as though you've been increasing intensity on some of your workouts.
Great job! I'll try to be inspired to eat better myself.

Also it seems as though you've been increasing intensity on some of your workouts.
Great job! I'll try to be inspired to eat better myself.
Funny thing, I don't know that I've actually increased my intensity much, I think I actually do less. I separated my cardio and st days and only workout 5 days vs the 6 days doing st and cardio every one of those days. I also am eating mostly good whole foods and very little processed. Seems the processed foods really mess with my weight a lot. A huge amount really. Even if I eat the same amount of calories as I would have with whole foods. Weird how that works. I think before I started using this app I wasn't adjusting my calorie intake correctly for days I worked out and was really shorting my body food, throwing it into starvation mode. I seem to have the perfect balance now as I am not feeling starved and am losing weight. I know it will plateau at some point and that's fine. I may have to tweak it just a little more if I still have a little bit left to lose. Right now my goal is to get down to 180lbs and I have 21lbs to go. I could actually probably get down to 170, but that would just be icing on the cake and I am happy with 180.

Final 'short' run of the week (but not last run :cool:) , with 7.8km (4.8mi), pace was nice and steady (5'30"/km). Summer is finished here, but this morning, was still a nice 21C (70F)
I have now run 30km (about 19mi) this week, and I hope to add another 12km with my Sunday run

Yesterday, 45 minutes on spinning bike

Today, two 1 miles intervals in high gear. I ran .5 mile at a slow warm-up first, also taking one daughter and a friend. This is the friend's introduction to barefoot running, so that was fun.
The first mile speed logged on the Garmin between a 7:45 and 8 mm pace, then the second was a touch faster mostly between a 7:20 and 7:45 mm pace, so I'm happy. :joyful: With the bit of walking, it was a total of 3 miles. All barefoot.

OH, and my dog was attacked by a loose boxer like dog at full missile speed. I was amazingly calm, just trying to figure out whether or not to let go of her leash and risk losing them into the streets. The owner of the dog wasn't too far behind and was screaming at his dog. I was finally able to lead the pair past him, without getting tangled in them. He tackled his dog, as I thought he might. He was yelling horribly at it, and apologizing, so I suggested the training school that I have used. So glad I didn't end up on the pavement!

I also am eating mostly good whole foods and very little processed. Seems the processed foods really mess with my weight a lot. A huge amount really. Even if I eat the same amount of calories as I would have with whole foods. Weird how that works.
As far as processed foods go, I've found that some protein bars can be fairly filling. Not better than real food, that's certain, but better than junk.

This news article was an eye opener for me. Fairly disturbing, but not surprising. I guess it's the world that we live in now. Don't trust the shoe industry, and don't trust the food industry. Sinister, pure evil. As bad as the Budweiser pony. Worse really, as obesity kills more people than alcohol and guns combined, yet no one is protesting. Well, no one except Bloomberg, but no one is listening to him anyway.

The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

“It’s called vanishing caloric density,” Witherly said. “If something melts down quickly, your brain thinks that there’s no calories in it . . . you can just keep eating it forever.”

"Moskowitz, who studied mathematics and holds a Ph.D. in experimental psychology from Harvard, runs a consulting firm in White Plains, where for more than three decades he has “optimized” a variety of products"

"The biggest hits — be they Coca-Cola or Doritos — owe their success to complex formulas that pique the taste buds enough to be alluring but don’t have a distinct, overriding single flavor that tells the brain to stop eating."

6 miles, evening, before the sun was too low in the sky (which is later and later now, hurray!) My calves were tight and my breathing wasn't great (a bit of wheezing with the last throes of the virus), but it was so nice out for once, and I was thankful for 40F and sunny, that I took one of my usual out and back routes around a lake nearby.
photo (10).JPG
Willie, you wanted us to post pics of our runs, but the midwest is rather boring and bland as it waits for spring to happen. The dots way out on the lake are geese, placidly waiting for the water to melt.
Had a dog (pit bull) run after me down a road, no barking, and responded to sweet talk, so I wasn't too worried. The owner out was on his property a ways back. I called out "sir, would you call back your dog" to which he immediately did and then said "sorry" SHOCKINGLY polite behavior for these parts. It about made my night.
That and I heard lots of bird calls that I hadn't in the long winter months, including some barred owl calls.

As far as processed foods go, I've found that some protein bars can be fairly filling. Not better than real food, that's certain, but better than junk.

This news article was an eye opener for me. Fairly disturbing, but not surprising. I guess it's the world that we live in now. Don't trust the shoe industry, and don't trust the food industry. Sinister, pure evil. As bad as the Budweiser pony. Worse really, as obesity kills more people than alcohol and guns combined, yet no one is protesting. Well, no one except Bloomberg, but no one is listening to him anyway.

The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

“It’s called vanishing caloric density,” Witherly said. “If something melts down quickly, your brain thinks that there’s no calories in it . . . you can just keep eating it forever.”............................
"

+1
Keeping the really processed stuff out of the house, out of my mind, and out of the habit is a struggle but one for which I'm glad I began several years ago.
I took one year to wean off of soda pop, and thankfully now I don't even like it. So many calories and you can't even register it, and stay hungry. You could have a huge container of yogurt or about any other whole food and be totally satisfied for the same amount.
Candy, yes, I still love that but I avoid the sight as much as possible.
Desserts, oh dear, but I try to wait for wonderful homemade or absolutely grand bakery stuff that I will have only once in a while. Salty foods, never been into, but lately I crave it for stress instead of desserts. Gotta start getting that one gone too now.
I've toyed with the idea of a food diary, but it's so hard for me to stick to any directed plan. Anyone have luck with this method? Seems far better on my hippie rebel attitude than counting calories.

Yesterday, 45 minutes on spinning bike

Today, two 1 miles intervals in high gear. I ran .5 mile at a slow warm-up first, also taking one daughter and a friend. This is the friend's introduction to barefoot running, so that was fun.
The first mile speed logged on the Garmin between a 7:45 and 8 mm pace, then the second was a touch faster mostly between a 7:20 and 7:45 mm pace, so I'm happy. :joyful: With the bit of walking, it was a total of 3 miles. All barefoot.

OH, and my dog was attacked by a loose boxer like dog at full missile speed. I was amazingly calm, just trying to figure out whether or not to let go of her leash and risk losing them into the streets. The owner of the dog wasn't too far behind and was screaming at his dog. I was finally able to lead the pair past him, without getting tangled in them. He tackled his dog, as I thought he might. He was yelling horribly at it, and apologizing, so I suggested the training school that I have used. So glad I didn't end up on the pavement!

Nice times on the miles!

Sorry about the dog. What a stressful moment that must've been. Glad the owner was at least doing his best. Is your dog ok?

Reactions: happysongbird
Sced and Happysongbird, I love ice cream and have a special weakness for it. Unfortunately it really hurts the old diet if your not careful. Sced, I too had to wean off of soda. I used to drink 2-3 or more liters a day. Horrible stuff and really hard to stop drinking. Now I may have one once or twice a month and it's not a big one. I've really gotten to where I only drink 3 cups of coffee, 70+ ounces of water, and maybe 1 beer a day. My other weakness, my kryptonite actually, is chips and salsa. The salsa isn't usually too bad but the amount of chips I consume with the salsa is. It's amazing how many calories are in chips.

Thursday afternoon
6.5 mi /10.5 km, running
7 mi / 11.3 km total
36 C / 2.22 C
31 C / -.5 C

We had an inch of snow overnight, but it was gone by the end of the afternoon, and windchill was close to freezing, so I decided to try an out-n-back bare for the first time in a month or two. The neighborhood streets and sidewalks were still wet, but it was warm enough that it didn't bother me. I was even able to run through a 20-foot-long puddle on a depressed section of sidewalk. I immediately thought of Jen manically splashing alongside me as I did so. The sun had actually made that water warmer than the thin layer of moisture covering the rest of the sidewalk surfaces. At the end of the winter, the puddle felt almost as inviting as a dip in the tropical waters of Mozambique.

My legs felt heavy, probably from all the mobility exercises I did the day before with ankle weights, so I kept the run to a little over 10mm pace. This was one of those rare runs where I was just counting the miles, waiting for it to end. Once I got to my back-n-forth street in the fairgrounds, I decided to just run back and forth on that rather than push on farther into the adjoining neighborhood, the one that has Como Lake, called, appropriately, Como Park.

The street was close to bone dry. So back and forth I went. Since I was plodding along, I decided to work on sole conditioning, and sought out a quarter-mile section of mild chipseal that had deteriorated into a lot of cracks, small potholes, and scattered debris. I went back and forth on that for a couple of miles. Without the usual foot numbness, I could really feel the rough textures, and also stepped on a few larger, sharp pebbles a couple of times. Ouch! This morning my soles are pleasantly tingly--just like old times--albeit with a few bruises. My legs are really stiff though. I wonder if it's from the slow pace, or the sashimi I had afterwards.

Besides working on pace and distance, one of my goals this year is to push the sole conditioning a bit. I would like to see if it's possible to run on gravel comfortably at a 10-11 mm pace. First I'll start with some mild chipseal bike/walking paths in the first-tier suburb nearby.

On the way back to pick up my daughter at school, I ran through a couple of blocks of shaded sidewalk full of puddles and slush. I was running through it nonchalantly, confident from my earlier romp through the solar-heated puddle, when all of a sudden I noticed my toes numbing down drastically, and painfully, just like on that day I got frost nip. Oh sh!t! So I sprinted through it and turned the corner onto a drier section, but then a block or so later put on my back-up Moc3s for the final coupla blocks to my daughter's school, just to be safe.

Had a nice barefoot walk home with my daughter. My feet began to numb up again, so I had to push the little chatterbox Dora-the-explorer's pace a bit faster than she would've liked. She made up a song about icky snow.

I saw my doc earlier in the day, to get a check-up but mainly to have him order an abdominal ultrasound. My dad's doc, who had repaired my dad's abdominal aorta aneurysm two summers ago, said his sons should get checked out to make sure everything is in order. Anyway, my doc said everything looked pretty good, all the gauges are fine, so it's good to know the exercise is paying off. It must be nice for a doc to treat a patient who's taking of him-/herself, and he said so in so many words. Still need to lose the weight I've gained since last fall though. Still not sure how I put it on. I know my running dropped off while I was working through the endless niggles, but I've also probably added some muscle mass as I've added more time to my st workouts and phased out the rowing. I dunno. Still hunting that elusive 200 lb mark. Maybe by this summer . . . if I can keep up the last few week's full workout schedule. I would hate to have to revert to dieting :rage: like Nick :yuck: .

Anyhow, here's a tip for the younger men: when you get to the age when you need to start getting regular prostate exams, recruit a little doctor with small fingers. My guy is The-Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Prince-sized. Helps a lot.

but the midwest is rather boring and bland as it waits for spring to happen.
Tru dat, but it's still fun to see others' running spots.

2 km macro run, STG. felt awesome. Good to know that the soles of my feet did not loose much of their conditioning over a winter of min shoe running. Was able to run on sandy/gravelly sections of road without any discomfort to get to a road that was clear and dry and in the sun. The feet did not get numb or cold on the bare road, but when I needed to turn of the main road to get back home I had to run through a big puddle of snow melt water, and with a air temp of -5C and windchill of -8C that had quite a numbing effect on the feet as Lee also found yesterday as well. Thankfuly by that time I was only 3 minutes from my house. The good thing was that my form instantly felt better when I was running bare on the dry pavement, actually had a little leg lift (no shuffling). But it looks like another cold front coming in with highs of -11C for a week or so, it looks like this will be the year of the never ending winter. Where is this thing called global warming?

Nice times on the miles!

Sorry about the dog. What a stressful moment that must've been. Glad the owner was at least doing his best. Is your dog ok?
Both of us are fine! My dog, who is a nervous herder of me, seemed to take it all in stride as her job. She was quick and limber. While she was defending, she still attempted to "heel" as best she could, which is what allowed me to get the other dog where the owner could tackle it. When it was over, she acted like it was just a normal part of her day. I could just picture her telling me, "See. I knew this sort of thing was going to happen. That's why I am always on alert with other dogs" She seemed fulfilled!

Catching up.

Wednesday. 1 hour on the machines at physical therapy. Bumped up the intensity, felt good to sweat. Backed off a little on the ST to save my arms for work.

Thursday, 7.5 trail miles (shod). Traveled south to check out the Gila and Chuckwalla trails. They run along the southeast edge of Snow Canyon State Park. First part was technical lava rock and then sandstone ravines, mostly hiking. The second half was running in varied conditions. Beautiful morning, warm temps, first run of the year shirtless. The uneven terrain stressed my foot a little, but it feels better today.

Google images (no pack or camera)

images
images
images
images

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts