Mileage Reporting 11th Week of 2013

Ran my 10K race today. Decided I had to wear the Moc3's. Turned out to be a very good choice or I'd probably still be out there picking my way over the gravel on asphalt....

Oh, and I bet the gravel on pavement wasn't even all that fun in the moc3s, either. groundfeel ain't all it's cracked up to be when the ground ain't nice. nothing worse than gravel atop pavement except on purpose torture. no give. all pointies. I would have given up and cried right there at the start, so you should get some kind of prize for dealing with it like a big kid.

OK, implemented my revised 'back' st workout. Tried these new plank bent-over rows. Outta sight.
Bench bent-over rows,
then the plank bent-over rows,
then t-bar bent-over rows,
and I'm ready to power a Viking ship to the New World with Leif Erickson. A few of the new suspension strap exercises bombed, but the strap pikes kicked my a$$, mos' definitely. Glad I was alone in my garage while I fumbled through the new exercises, free of embarrassment.

Earlier, I went to Dick's Sporting Goods to finally check out the adjustable kettlebell there. Nah, I'll pass. I tried a few exercises in-store and they felt greatly inferior to their barbell and dumbbell equivalents, and abraded my palm, and smacked the top of my forearm. Get out of my face. My just-turned-two son had fun punching the heavy bag there though. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to make space in the garage for one of those. I gave my old one away to my 6'6" 16-year-old nephew, but lately I've been feeling the need to punch and kick a bit too. Nothing better than kicking a dumb helpless bag for 'core' work.

No post-st micro-runs these last few weeks. Still, managed to top 20 miles mpw for the second week in a row. Pat on back. My feet are already itching for today's run. All this talk of gravel gets me going. Probably will be another back-n-forth in the Fairgrounds, with special emphasis on that sh!tty section of mild deteriorating chipseal and debris, as temps will be below freezing for all of this week's runs. I want dry. Next weekend's forecast, mid 40s. Yippee. Will I walk away with the (my self-invented) Winter Challenge's sub-freezing prize? Will Barefoot Bob surpass me in a single day? I dunno. With all this talk of racing I want to win something.

I don't know how many more Midwestern winters I can take. Unless you're farming and can take advantage of the rich top soil, is there really any reason to live here? At least I don't have it as bad as the Winter Pagans.

Nick, don't give up. My half-baked rec: spend a month or two just walking barefoot. I think walking can be very therapeutic. Also, calf-raises, calf-raises, calf-raises.

Scedastic, you slay me.

Happy Bird Song, you inspire me.

Dutchie, you make me feel like a southerner.

Spiderweb62, you fill me with envy.

Oh, and I bet the gravel on pavement wasn't even all that fun in the moc3s, either. groundfeel ain't all it's cracked up to be when the ground ain't nice. nothing worse than gravel atop pavement except on purpose torture. no give. all pointies. I would have given up and cried right there at the start, so you should get some kind of prize for dealing with it like a big kid.
Actually the Moc3's were perfect! I did have to step lightly a few places, but I was comfortable. :)

Reactions: scedastic
6 mi, slow this afternoon, with a throbbing piercing sinus headache just behind my right eye. Didn't get any worse for the run, and running made me feel better than when I tried lying down to nap earlier in the day and got the stinkin headache in the first place.

~55 min swim lesson. instructor said my freestyle looked good and not to listen to the hecklers. backstroke ok but kick is still weak. breast stroke he gave up on me with. butterfly did some drills and he said i improved by the end but i think he was just being kind. my head hurt too much to work on flip turns. next time.
Look who's calling who an over achiever....;)

Reactions: scedastic
Rounded out the week by dancing hard for a couple of hours at our Basement Dance Party! :playful: Wore my leather dance shoes over half the time, because my toes were a bit tender from rubbing inside the Moc3's during the race earlier in the day. Only danced into the couch once.... only a 1/2 glass of wine involved, and even I don't get tipsy on that. :) Will definitely need to massage my legs today!

......My just-turned-two son had fun punching the heavy bag there though. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to make space in the garage for one of those. I gave my old one away to my 6'6" 16-year-old nephew, but lately I've been feeling the need to punch and kick a bit too. Nothing better than kicking a dumb helpless bag for 'core' work.
Nick, don't give up. My half-baked rec: spend a month or two just walking barefoot. I think walking can be very therapeutic. Also, calf-raises, calf-raises, calf-raises.
Lee, I was an amateur boxer and did MMA once upon a time, and I still swear that boxing is one of the best cardio/core workouts you will ever get. Someday when I grow up and get a real house I am going to get a heavy bag and a speed bag. I really really miss those workouts.

I don't think I'm giving up just yet Lee, but I am sticking to zero drop minshoes for awhile (Adams) or barefoot. Feels like my foot is about to break off at the ankle when I run. Not sure if part of it is that those muscles had atrophied a little or what while my heel was locked up, but it sucks. Just gonna keep biking and exercising and taking walks and try to see if I can get it right.

Lee, I was an amateur boxer and did MMA once upon a time, and I still swear that boxing is one of the best cardio/core workouts you will ever get. Someday when I grow up and get a real house I am going to get a heavy bag and a speed bag. I really really miss those workouts.
My reaction speed is too slow to fight well, plus I have a glass jaw (and head), but I do enjoy the kicks and punches. Kicks also really good for the abs, obliques, and hip mobility. I figure I can use my cable machine to hang the bag on, so now I'm shopping around for something used.
I don't think I'm giving up just yet Lee, but I am sticking to zero drop minshoes for awhile (Adams) or barefoot. Feels like my foot is about to break off at the ankle when I run. Not sure if part of it is that those muscles had atrophied a little or what while my heel was locked up, but it sucks. Just gonna keep biking and exercising and taking walks and try to see if I can get it right.
Yah, first figure out the heel, then deal with the ankle, that sounds like the right course of action to me. Meanwhile, you got walking and biking.

We got Jennings for Harvin with a cheaper deal plus three draft picks, with money left over for a decent back-up quarterback. I'm really liking our GM.

Reactions: NickW
My reaction speed is too slow to fight well, plus I have a glass jaw (and head), but I do enjoy the kicks and punches. Kicks also really good for the abs, obliques, and hip mobility. I figure I can use my cable machine to hang the bag on, so now I'm shopping around for something used.
I would imagine that in 15 years my reaction speed has slowed tremendously too, but I used to love it. Now a days I just like working heavy bag and speed bag and doing some other little drills. I just wish I could do it more often than I do. MMA taught me a little about kicks, but I am pretty awkward with them, I think due to the fact I had been trained for years prior for boxing and wrestling. Oh, and didn't I say earlier that my heal is doing extremely well now? With no pain? Now it's just my ankle that's getting me. In any case, hope I can get that all sorted out so I can get back to being healthy and injury free.

Reactions: Bare Lee