Mileage Reporting 10th Week of 2013

I still have to figure out how not to hurt my feet doing intervals though. When I sprint I am getting wear on the balls just under my big toe.
I find that one of the keys is to only reach interval speeds that not too much greater than my current fastest pace. That way I'm not changing form or sole usage drastically. Gradually, I've been able to reach what seems closer to sprinting, at least some of the time. Like today, for instance, when I was chasing my husband through the streets of Taipei. ;) I think we added some diversion to the daily commute for some residents. :D

Reactions: jldeleon and Sid
Woot! I got 5 miles BF yesterday. I'm training for a half ironman, so I had to do the remaining 3 miles in sandals, but I am pumped. I still have to figure out how not to hurt my feet doing intervals though. When I sprint I am getting wear on the balls just under my big toe.
Not sure how fast you're going, but when I did 440 intervals at 7mm pace (which is fast for me, sad to say--my LS pace is about 10mm, and my tempo pace is 9mm, and my mile pace is 8mm) on the sandy gravel hs track nearby, it took about two weeks for my soles to adapt to the extra force and abrasion. By the third week I think I was able to run over four miles worth of intervals (two miles of 440s and two miles of 880s) without feeling too sore afterwards. So perhaps that will be true in your case too?

Funny though, I felt it most on the outside of my forefoot, by the pinky toe and along that side. Perhaps the difference is that your surface is harder but less abrading? In any case, you've whetted my appetite. I can hardly wait for the track to clear of snow so I can get back to it in a month or so . .

3 miles in horrible conditions. We got 6" of snow on Monday with more to come on icy roads and sidewalks. Very slow pace, did not want to break any bones. At this rate with winter here not wanting to go away, I might not get any barefoot miles in until May. It looks like I will have to do my IBRD run out of town again Bob. This time on the west coast as my youth bowling team that I coach won provincials again and will be in Vancouver for Nationals that weekend.

Not sure how fast you're going, but when I did 440 intervals at 7mm pace (which is fast for me, sad to say--my LS pace is about 10mm, and my tempo pace is 9mm, and my mile pace is 8mm) on the sandy gravel hs track nearby, it took about two weeks for my soles to adapt to the extra force and abrasion. By the third week I think I was able to run over four miles worth of intervals (two miles of 440s and two miles of 880s) without feeling too sore afterwards. So perhaps that will be true in your case too?

Funny though, I felt it most on the outside of my forefoot, by the pinky toe and along that side. Perhaps the difference is that your surface is harder but less abrading? In any case, you've whetted my appetite. I can hardly wait for the track to clear of snow so I can get back to it in a month or so . .

That is great information. I broke my foot last year so my times are way down, and I am a relatively new runner being a formerly morbidly obese diabetic. I preface my comment so you won't laugh at my times. My standard easy or long pace is 13mm, I was doing basically 440 sprints at slightly less than 8mm pace. No idea what my tempo pace is right now because I am just trying to survive especially on my long runs. My friend has coerced into doing a half IronMan alot sooner than I want to so I am just getting the miles in. Sounds like I need to slow my sprint speed a little.

I never run on a track because there is not enough distraction to keep my mind from focusing on the difficulty. I try to use the white line when I need a break.

PS. I got the wear on the outside originally, but seem to have built up sufficient strength of sole there now. I don't have callouses, but the skin is definitely more durable. I guess I have to do that for the balls now.

That is great information. I broke my foot last year so my times are way down, and I am a relatively new runner being a formerly morbidly obese diabetic. I preface my comment so you won't laugh at my times. My standard easy or long pace is 13mm, I was doing basically 440 sprints at slightly less than 8mm pace. No idea what my tempo pace is right now because I am just trying to survive especially on my long runs. My friend has coerced into doing a half IronMan alot sooner than I want to so I am just getting the miles in. Sounds like I need to slow my sprint speed a little.

I never run on a track because there is not enough distraction to keep my mind from focusing on the difficulty. I try to use the white line when I need a break.

PS. I got the wear on the outside originally, but seem to have built up sufficient strength of sole there now. I don't have callouses, but the skin is definitely more durable. I guess I have to do that for the balls now.
Cool, always good to exchange information. And I recall your story and have been wondering where you'd gone to. Great to see you participating on this forum and congrats again on your fitness success!

And hey, no need to apologize for times. Mine are also ridiculous compared to a lot of people. 7mm pace is a jog for serious runners. I'm just trying to improve within whatever potential is left in this middle-aged body. My goal is to be able to run an hour at 8mm pace, but who knows if that is overly ambitious or underachieving. Only time will tell.

Slowing the sprint speed sounds like a good idea, as HBS suggests. Try maybe something closer to your 440 or 880 pace. I still haven't all out sprinted since starting to get back into shape two years ago. I want to do more 440s before I try that, bringing the pace up gradually, in order to make sure I don't shear something off.

You probably don't need to hear me say this, but as someone who is (hopefully) coming out of a six-month period of nearly constant niggledom, I would caution against letting races or goals dictate your current running pace or distance. I signed up for my first race, this coming August, a half marathon, but I'm going to bail on it at the first sign that my body isn't able to increase my max distance in time. Right now eight miles is about as far as I can go before I start to feel fatigued. And I've learned never to run in a fatigued state. That's when bad things happen.

saw a hard core bunny out there, just hanging out hopping around on the frozen snow in the dark. Seen hard core bunnies in that spot before, may be the same one, didn't ask. it hopped off somewhere when i ran past.
Don't take the bunnies lightly. This just in:

"Bunnies implicated in the demise of Neanderthals"

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23228-bunnies-implicated-in-the-demise-of-neanderthals.html

(do take the article lightly though, sounds like pure conjecture)

I was stalked by someone on one of my runs this week. Lol! I could hear this car slowly pull out of a parking lot that I had just passed - where I am sure they had seen me running by barefoot- then I heard the car slowly eeking down the road behind me. I chuckled to myself because I just knew they were thinking "WTF"??? Finally, I turned around and stared at their car, and they suddenly turned off the road. Hilarious!!! And strange, because, usually IIIII am the stalker!!!

1.5 hours in the gym with ST training of chest, biceps, triceps, and abs. Second week of trying to eat mostly little to no processed food and my energy level is starting to go up. I completed this time in the gym fairly easy although doing about double the exercises from what I'm used to. I'm not sure if it's because of my change of routine, the food, or what but I like this increase in energy. It's probably a combination of the two. Just for Lee here's a copy of what I am now doing (the deadlifts are going to be lighter weight than what's listed until the hamstring heals)(oh, and the weights on all the dumbbell stuff is the weight for just one dumbbell, not total weight).

Attachments

• PT Workout schedule.pdf
    176.2 KB · Views: 1
Another 3 mile run. Conditions in my area are still not good. Lots of salt on the road, sidewalks are still not plowed. Between the salt and solar heating, made the roads messy. My dog looked like a ball of muddy grime from running on messy roads and I had to dodge cars and slimy puddles as the roads were the only place I could run. Oh the joy of spring running in Winterpeg. Plows are supposed to be caught up by the weekend, I hope.

Another 3 mile run. Conditions in my area are still not good. Lots of salt on the road, sidewalks are still not plowed. Between the salt and solar heating, made the roads messy. My dog looked like a ball of muddy grime from running on messy roads and I had to dodge cars and slimy puddles as the roads were the only place I could run. Oh the joy of spring running in Winterpeg. Plows are supposed to be caught up by the weekend, I hope.

icky squish!

Reactions: dutchie53
Needed to slow it down just a bit today. Only walked about 2 miles around Taipei, but I finally had to take my flip-flops off this time. Ahhh, such a relief. Wish I understood more Chinese, but I know they were saying things... I did slip back into the footwear when I went into a store or restaurant. Accidentally ended up in a karaoke bar at one point. They let me stand and watch a bit, which was fun.:)

Then, I swam again, but only 2/3 mile. My right arm is feeling tired, so I ended there instead of doing the whole mile. Had the rooftop pool to myself. Didn't run into the wall as much this time.:confused:

Now, I'm fighting the feeling like it's midnight, but it's only late afternoon here. Need... to..... stay....... awake.....

Tuesday noon
Anticipating having to shovel a lot of snow later, during my normal workout time 4-5pm, I decided to get in a short version of my Front ST workout, which I had blown off on Monday, at noon. Shoulder felt close to normal so I did close to my max bench. I got to try out my new homemade clubbells too.
Clubbell 1.jpgClubbell 2.jpg
Each one weighs about 7.7 pounds. I did some basic mills. It’s a great workout for the wrists/forearm, not sure if there’s much benefit for the upper arm or shoulder. Will have to wait until I become more proficient, and can do some of the more complicated behind-the-back mills, but just for the wrist/forearm workout, it was worth making these. Much better than using an uneven dumbbell for supination and pronation forearm exercises.

I also got to try my new TRX-type straps.
81iptAAB1ML._SX425_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006V6D6I0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn’t have much time, so I just did the reverse flies. It was kind of a poor man’s version of cable cross-over flies, but since I’m a poor man who can’t afford a double cable system (http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Functional-Training-Center-GDCC200/dp/B000NZPBRE/ref=sr_1_23?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1362567848&sr=1-23&keywords=cable trainer), nor do I have the space for it
51OY%2BcEENGL._SX385_.jpg
the straps work pretty well—much better than doing single arm cable flies, which is what I had been doing, although I do like the way single arm cable flies force one to work or 'stabilize' the lower trunk, a.k.a. ‘the core.’

BTW, Nick, your ST routine is similar to the way I used to break things up for a long time, except I had the presses together with the chest and arm day. Good to hear your new regimen is providing an energy boost.

Later,

Tuesday afternoon
6.49 mi / 10.44 km
29 F / - 1.6 C
18 F / -8 C winchill
2.5 miles shod in Neo Trails
4 miles bare

I had intended to reschedule my Tuesday run for today (Wednesday), but the fluffy white stuff was just too tempting. I hadn’t yet gotten in a proper snow run this winter. Plus I didn’t want to screw up my just-revised weekly workout routine just the second week into it. So after shoveling nine inches of snow from our walks and driveway, I headed up our street in my Neo Trails, expecting a great quad and glute workout over 2-3 miles of 9-inch snow.

Didn't happen.

Pretty much everyone had already shoveled their walks, to varying levels of proficiency, even though it had only stopped snowing about two hours before. Once in the fairgrounds, I saw that its streets had also already been cleared, leaving just a thin layer of snow covering the roads. And up on my back-n-forth street there were even sections that were clear of snow altogether, with nice wet pavement shining through smartly, calling to me like a bfr siren. Oh boy, this was too much. I had to take off the shoes.

So back and forth I went. My legs felt pretty heavy. I hadn't done a good job of stretching and massaging after my run Sunday, plus I had only slept 4-5 hours two nights in a row. My pace was almost a whole minute per mile slower than on Sunday's run--10:26 mm. Oh well. It was good to get in another run in the 5-8 mile range. After each run in that range I gain a little more confidence that the ITBS ogre has been conquered once and for all, but I'm ever vigilante nonetheless, manning the upper wall with an eye out towards the wild woods of repetitive stress monsters. Er, something like that. I think I need a second shot of espresso to get my brain working this morning.

Anyway, good run. Put my shoes back on for the run back home. My feet were pretty numb--the wetness, wind, and patches of snow were taking their toll. My feet took the whole run back home to regain proper warmth. My calluses are about 2/3 back to where they were before they molted from frost nip/bite. Just a few sore spots. The Neo Trails are pretty awful on sections of snowless asphalt, but I'm getting better at adjusting my gait with them on. I think overall these last few weeks my form has gotten subtly better. It almost always feels pretty smooth these days, no matter the pace, conditions, or degree of shoddedness. Nonetheless, I had one wipe-out on a section with ice below a thin layer of snow. Luckily, I fell abruptly, with no chance to regain my balance, so I didn't pull any muscles, and managed to land flat against my right upper arm. No harm. Good to know this 220-pound middle-aged body can still fall without losing a body part. I wonder if the Neo Trails' lugs are really such an improvement over my Vapor Gloves' thin tread. If it snows again, I may head out in my Vapor Trails to see if putting up with the greater stack height of the Neo Trails is really worth it. Anyway-anyhow, my fairgrounds back-n-forth route should be mostly dry in time for Thursday run, so I'll probably drive up to the fairgrounds for a purely bare experience then.

Nah, this is the mileage forum, which mean it's specifically for posting stuff like this to keep it out of the general forum where no one wants to read this stuff. The fact that we're reading this forum, means that we choose to listen to all of the babbling about dogs, frostbite, scruffs, scraps, random musings, weather announcements, snowfall reports, swim stories, etc.
Thanks for the License to Spill (ink) . . .

Needed to slow it down just a bit today. Only walked about 2 miles around Taipei, but I finally had to take my flip-flops off this time. Ahhh, such a relief. Wish I understood more Chinese, but I know they were saying things... I did slip back into the footwear when I went into a store or restaurant. Accidentally ended up in a karaoke bar at one point. They let me stand and watch a bit, which was fun.:)

Then, I swam again, but only 2/3 mile. My right arm is feeling tired, so I ended there instead of doing the whole mile. Had the rooftop pool to myself. Didn't run into the wall as much this time.:confused:

Now, I'm fighting the feeling like it's midnight, but it's only late afternoon here. Need... to..... stay....... awake.....

So jealous of you getting to play in Tai Pei

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts