Mileage Reporting 10th Week of 2013

I got the bigger ones and one small one for my office, but I think the smaller one is all you need for your legs, especially since rolling is more effective if you just roll one leg at a time and keep the other leg up so that more weight is on one leg being rolled.
This is exactly what I have found with my regular foam roller, which is kinda midsize.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Sucks when we get too exuberant doesn't it?

Yup. I just happened to have made a massage appointment for this afternoon -so that will help immensely. So today I am resting the body. I have a personal massage slave who worked on my last night and will again tonight -so that helps. I want to rest my body tomorrow, but we are leaving for the beach for two days, and running on the beach is so...awesome!!!

Yup. I just happened to have made a massage appointment for this afternoon -so that will help immensely. So today I am resting the body. I have a personal massage slave who worked on my last night and will again tonight -so that helps. I want to rest my body tomorrow, but we are leaving for the beach for two days, and running on the beach is so...awesome!!!
You live on a houseboat, don't you have the option to run on a beach all the time? (I know it's not the sandy ocean style beach, but still....:p)

Reactions: Sid
Here's the little knobby foam roller in case anyone is interested. It looks like it would save me quite a bit to get the small one vs getting the big version.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...essAccessories_FoamRollers&cp=4413986.4417719

Oh, and my PT yesterday told me that they see a lot of injuries from the P90-x videos which I found odd. Usually coming NOT from the weights part, but from the yoga and stretching videos. He told me that those videos are an hour to hour and half depending on the video (which I already knew), but this is too much for a lot of people and they end up pulling or tearing a muscle from doing too much. He said to just take some of the stretches or poses from the videos and work on those, but for gods sake stop doing an hour plus of stretching right now! Lol! He said it's good to stretch, but like running, you can do TMTS and can cause injuries.

1 km micro run, but this one was bare. Here come the winterpeggers, ready to add to the winter challenge totals. Weather was sunny, -3C with -11C windchill. The road was packed snow and had some wet slushy sections, those did not feel good. Some of the main roads are starting to get clear so it looks like it will be a matter of a couple weeks before I can get some longer runs in (if we don't get anymore snow). :)

Had a nice 12.5km run with my crazy dog. Didn't notice any fallout from the car accident. I tried the dynamic squat bouncing that Jen described, it felt great! I do tend to get stiff in the lumbar and hip region over time and do stretch sometimes mid-run, but her description of this specific exercise really got me curious and I had to try it. Gonna try with my medicine ball at home, lol.

Oh yeah, I got a medicine ball. Five Kg, leather. Been having fun with it :)

I posted a video in her thread - check it out! And be sure to have the speakers turned on, lol.

Thursday afternoon
7.19 mi /11.57 km
31 F / -.5 C
22 F / -5.5 windchill

Drove up to the fairgrounds and sure enough, my back-n-forth street was mostly dry. So back and forth I went. My feet got progressively number, not helped by the setting sun and increasing shade. Around four miles, I decided to run around a block that was particularly dry and got more sun. That helped.

Still, by six miles my feet were trying to tap out, but my legs had settled into a real nice rhythm and wanted more, so I ran another mile or so. By that time my left foot was pretty stiff and cold to the touch, although still nice and red--no waxy white indicating frost bite. Forty minutes or so after the run it had regained normal warmth and pliability, no harm done. There was no tingling, so no surface damage, just a deep freeze. After my feet had warmed up I could feel my soles and some sore spots from stepping on tiny debris.

I brought along my MP3 player and listened to an old jam to break up the tedium of running back and forth and doing micro loops. A few people were out walking, but no-one returned my hello waves. A different crowd from the river paths I guess.

Anyway, as per Willie's request, here's a few photos I took at the beginning of the run. I would've taken more, but I couldn't afford to stop for very long and let my feet numb up further.
Fairgrounds photo 1.jpgFairgrounds photo 3.jpgFairgrounds photo 2.jpg
In the first photo you can see the Grandstand in the background. They used to have stock car races and demolition derbies there when I was a kid, now it's mostly home to washed-up music groups. In the other photos you can see the sky ride that transports people around the fair up over the crowds. Hard to imagine, with this winter solitude, but these streets become packed with sweaty, beefy midwesterners at the end of every summer.

9 miles, 8 of it along the Danshui, then walked 3 miles back to the hotel. Have one little flap of skin where an old blood blister broke open, but I can't feel it. Hope the skin isn't too fresh underneath...:nailbiting:

I feel a little stiff after sitting for breakfast, so am going to have to find a balance for moving about. It's a little more challenging when living in a hotel room. Maybe some shopping?? Get to meet a friend at 5 PM at a multi-acre garden, though, so don't want to overdo it before then.

It might be some work to make sure I get enough to eat today! Good thing I know where the Cold Stone Creamery is. :D

Photos of a couple parts of my route today.
Danshui 9 miles scooter route.jpgDanshui yellow boat.jpg

A smidgeon under 8km shod on Wednesday morning. Felt good, but then woke up on Thursday morning with a very sore calf out of the blue. I don't know if I was stretching it while I slept or if it was just something that took a while to form. Can you make your muscles sore while sleeping?

Took the day off on Wednesday to let things settle and then did 3km barefoot this morning. I could still feel the calf a tiny bit, so I took it slow and felt like I wasn't causing any damage. Spent a good 15 minutes attacking my legs with the kitchen rolling pin (none of this fancy pants knobbly roller stuff for me) when I got home and I think I'm OK. Planning on doing 7.5km with the local running club tomorrow, but I'm going to be ultra-conservative and concentrate on shuffling along.

You live on a houseboat, don't you have the option to run on a beach all the time? (I know it's not the sandy ocean style beach, but still....:p)

SAIL, SAIL, SAIL boat. There is not anything here to run on, cuz we are in a CHANNEL. Ok, now that I got that straightened out...

fri am: 3.5 mi
later today: swim lesson late afternoon

thursday:
add on 1.5 with kids in evening to the ~4 in am,

and about 30 min swim, where the lifeguard inquired as to my health since I didn't seem as energetic as I did the last time he was there, and I was done so soon,then he gave me a few further pointers on what I needed to do to improve on my stroke. Hey, getting noticed got me free advice? I'll take it, I guess, but I still feel like I was being called lazy. :rolleyes: Maybe they are starting to see me too much at the pool and next time I try to get out early I'll hear "again! back in the water, you! and do it right this time!

(none of this fancy pants knobbly roller stuff for me) .
Ha, don't get mad at me, but I just ordered some 2 lb clubbells for $40. My homemade jobbies are 7.7 lbs--a bit heavy for a beginner.

fri am: 3.5 mi
later today: swim lesson late afternoon

thursday:
add on 1.5 with kids in evening to the ~4 in am
Sounds like your ankle is all healed up. Great to hear you're running again!
Photos of a couple parts of my route today.
View attachment 1754View attachment 1755
Pretty route. I'm envious!