Is Barefoot Running Therapeutic for you?

Barefootpuffin

Barefooters
Aug 22, 2011
Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion on a the topic of my new blog post where I discuss the anecdotal evidence of my barefoot running experiences and how I believe that barefoot running has made me a much calmer person all around.

Does running barefoot or otherwise make you guys less stressed? What do you think? Let me know here or in the comments section at my blog: http://wp.me/1Bi7O

Thanks,

Aaron

Definately is a big stress

Definately is a big stress release. And since I'm fairly new to barefooting it forces me to only think about running. The rest of the world slips away over some chip seal. :)

Walking or running barefoot

Walking or running barefoot has accomplished a few things for me.

1. It has brought a new perspective on life and nature.

2. Some of the chronic joint pains in my ankles and back seem to be improving.

3. Gave my wife and I a shared interest.

4. My children think I'm cool and want to participate.

So it has been therapeutic physically, mentally and spiritually.

I can totally relate to #4,

I can totally relate to #4, Rich. Wish I could relate to #3. It would be nice to even have my hubby running again, although he never ran with me unless he was pushing the double jogger.

I always think I'll use "this" run to contemplate something on my mind, and I end up thinking very little about whatever it is I thought I had on my mind. But by the time my run is done, that whatever seems smaller.

There is this, I usually feel

There is this, I usually feel much better after I get out on some rough ground or gravel.

foot_chart_small.jpg

I know barefoot running has

I know barefoot running has been very good for me, and that is much more evident to me no that I have to nurse this knee. Furthermore, I never believed that about running before shedding the shoes.

My wife has always been into

My wife has always been into running and we were both in the military at one time, so we don't mind trying new forms of physical activity; BF running just seemed like the next thing to try. I did not really think the kids would want to try BF running due to peer pressure type influences, but that has yet to manifest. My wife and I usually run together, so I don't do much private thinking during our runs. We are usually discussing our form or the next place we would like to run.

For me it's a great way to

For me it's a great way to unload, think things through, as well as have fun, enjoy the countryside and sometimes challenge myself, both mentally and physically.

There are also the biological responces that the body goes through when running that can elevate mood.

I think this quote sums it up

I think this quote sums it up best for me. "You don't quit running because you get old. You get old because you quit running." I believe the human body needs movement and that is why we get this small sense of euphoria (ie runner's high) when we are running. No wonder it's possibly the most popular recreational sport.

Hi BF Puffin,Good question

Hi BF Puffin,

Good question and more than worthy of discussion. I almost exclusively run trails and I have learned the (very) hard way that letting one's attention stray from the next step is a bad idea. Regardless of ones philosophical or spiritual leanings, it's hard to not benefit from keeping one's focus on one simple thing only for an extended period of time (breath meditation in Zen Buddhism especially comes to mind as a parallel).

Barefoot running keeps me

Barefoot running keeps me happier, fitter, faster, stronger, more focused, mindful, grateful, connected. I have gone from non runner to half marathon distance runner heading for full marathon in January, 2012. Thanks to TJ and all of you who are letting others know about the joys of barefoot running.

Barefoot running is very

Barefoot running is very calming for me. If I go without a run for too long I meet a woman I used to know, and realize how little I like her, she's ornery. Running barefoot is also an experience in mindfulness for me. I am aware of my whole body and what each part id doing and I feel full and real.

Yes! I can go further with

Yes! I can go further with little effort and it just feels so good! When it's over, I eat a little bit, do some work and then count the hours till I head back out and run some more.

Was never like this with shoes. I've always loved running, but with shoes I was limited to running on natural surfaces or a track because pavement hurt too much. I never did more than 2.5 miles. It was stress-relief and I did enjoy it, sure, but...there were only rare moments of euphoria. With barefooting, every single moment is grin-worthy and I can see that with a little conditioning, I could go on and on and on (finishing an ultra is one of my new goals). I did 6.5 miles today and barely felt it! I didn't even realize my mileage till I Googled my route after I came home. Two days ago I did 4 miles and was amazed. (Started barefooting in July.)

This is where it's at for me. Barefoot walking is fine and I've walked miles barefoot while training myself. But running is what I love and where my freedom is, it's where the euphoria is for me. Not to be crude, but there is only one other physical activity that has ever felt this good to me. Barefooting has proven to me, without a doubt, I was born to run.

I'm searching for the "like"

I'm searching for the "like" button for Tonic's post. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts