I Don't Want to Ask the Docs

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
From everything I've read the usual rest/ice/NSAIDS/orthotics/no hills/no hard surfaces....Yadayadayada....so I'd rather just ask y'all:

Raced a 5K last Saturday, same course as last year w/ the first half mile on a gravel horse track, next 1/8 mile on a beat-up broken down asphalt parking lot, and the rest on broken down hilly roads. Felt fine, beat last year's time, showed off my soles to the curious during and after the pizza, and in general had a good time.

Rode an hour on the tandem barefoot and fairly hard just a few hours later with my wife, yet still felt great.

Went for a casual barefoot stroll with her through the neighborhood in the evening and felt a pain and tightness in my left shin, had to slow down, and within minutes felt lame. Shin Splints? Dunno, never had them since high school walking fast to keep up with long legged classmates, and that stuff disappeared as soon as I slowed down.

I've realized today that there is real swelling, so I started the ice and elevation.

I know about delayed onset and all that, but can you really feel nothing, go biking pretty hard after the run, and then develope true shin splints/possibly stress fracture symptoms for the first time later that night?

OK, any real docs can answer as well, I'm not sure if I should rest, listen to my body, give it a test run, or what.

I'll be in the Pub tonight I suppose.

The pub should straighten you

The pub should straighten you up. Wish I new you were running. I came in at the last minute and ran the 10 miler with my wife and daughter-in-law. Stop at Meijer's and pick up a 6 pack of IPA's from http://michiganbrewing.com/ . Excellent IPA. Seriously it sounds like with a little R&R you will be as good as new. Hope all goes well and you get back on the roads sooner than later.

Can't believe I did'nt see

Can't believe I did'nt see you and your gang! The park cleared out early despite the Luau promotion. You should have clued me in on the Meijer's MBC IPA deal sooner,I actually stopped there (8 mi/W of M5) to use the restroom despite the corporate level barefoot ban.

I would, but this weekend is

I would, but this weekend is filled w/ 40th High School reunion activities.

Planning on Frankenmuth Volkslaufe July 4'th, but w/ this shin s&^@ going on I guess one of those authentic steins as age group prize will be out of reach.

Next year............!

Hang in there and enjoy the

Hang in there and enjoy the weekend. Will see you on the roads or trails sooner or later. The roads in Northville need some serious work.

But are you sure the barefoot

But are you sure the barefoot run started this? Are you sure it wasn't one of your other activities that caused this? Rest it, Board, and let us know how you're doing.

How's your dad?

It seemed like the walk

It seemed like the walk started it, I can't believe that type of pain and swelling would show up that delayed with no prior clue.

I'll try cycling and walking today, and maybe run Friday if the swelling is down.

Dad's doing fine, he's comfortable and happy. The Gypsy was arraigned in FL a week ago today, and is out on $50,000 bail.

They will set a trial date in mid September for some time soon after that.

She's looking at 8-30 years right now for his case, the only one she has ever been charged with.

I cut her career short after a lifetime of scamming, and her clan is not helping her out w/ any hope of restitution in exchange for leniency. Too bad she did'nt hde enough away for herself for such a situation.

Thanks for asking T.J.

What a beeatch!  I hope she

What a beeatch! I hope she gets what she deserves!

Not so sure it would be the

Not so sure it would be the running or the cycling, BUT a walk after all that might. During the walk you would have to dorsiflex your foot to a greater degree than in all those previous activities, and constantly I might add. And in trying to keep them dorsiflexed when landing would have created the stress to the tendons. Basically a walk is a slo-motion version of the old heel landing, with similar results. Just my thinking. I know it seems strange to have a walk do that kind of damage, but with tension in the calves from recovering, the walking was likely the proverbial straw. I guess you could blame the running since it laid the groundwork, but I think you would have been right as rain without the walk. Hope you get better soon. :)

John T.

That makes sense to me, I

That makes sense to me, I still feel it when I walk but not when I cycle. The pain gets so bad after a few minutes of walking that I have to stop, and then can't do much of anything for hours. I've been afraid to run, and reluctantly may skip the race Monday.

I was guessing all along that had I re-streched my calves before the walk I would have been fine, reading your hypothesis convinces me of that even more.

Saw a podiatrist at the

Saw a podiatrist at the post-reunion softball game today so of course I got a free opinion.

He concurred with DT 100%.

Now I have TWO free opinions.

Hope they're worth more than I paid.

Nobody had to be hauled away by EMT's, but I'm sure more than a few of my former classmates will be hurting tomorrow.

Yes, but I could'nt believe

Yes, but I could'nt believe how many overweight guys could really play all-out without serious tears.

The podiatrist was really expecting to see a full achilles tear in somebody tryng to sprint to first, but nothing even came close.

Some guys were 100 lbs overweight, but played enthusiasticaly without acute problems. Have'nt checked in with any of them to see how they feel today, but I skipped the race in order to get a bit more healing in. Stretched, rode, and walked today, but really don't want to chance runnung yet. Shooting for Wednesday to start back with a short slow few miles.

I am glad to see you may be

I am glad to see you may be back in full swing soon! In the future, if I may be so bold as to suggest a possible alternative to going for a stroll after a run?

racingequipment.jpg

Now I'm getting excited about

Now I'm getting excited about "racing" in my 90's!

dunetraveller wrote:I am

dunetraveller said:
I am glad to see you may be back in full swing soon! In the future, if I may be so bold as to suggest a possible alternative to going for a stroll after a run?

racingequipment.jpg

DUDE!!! I want one!!!

I agree with the tight calves starting it all. That's happened to me, too. Fighting the calves to lift the toes, doesn't take long to wear out that shin muscle!!

-Jonny

I finally ran for the first

I finally ran for the first time today after 14 days off. I waited untill I had no detectable pain for three days straight, and had succesfully walked and cycled painfree as well. Maybe I used too much caution, but I was really afraid of tearing/stress fracturing whatever I had done even more.

Felt great to run finaly, and still felt great the rest of the day after adding cycling, skateboarding, and once again walking to the routine later on.

What I learned was: Stretching before is not enough, stretching after is important. Of course I could have gotten away without stretching after had I stretched before walking, but who does that? I guess stretching before and after everything is the secret.

I better re-stretch before getting up from my chair to go to bed I suppose.

Good news, Board!

Good news, Board!

Yup, and still pain free

Yup, and still pain free after taking yesterday off running, so I'll consider myself cured.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon