How many minimalist runners do we have at BRS?

nature runner wrote:plus I am

nature runner said:
plus I am 38 yrs old, that doesn't help any lol!

So am I, and never felt younger :-D...I've always kinda been an "all or nothing" kind of guy though, and I'm with Matt....don't want to shell out any money when I was born with the best footwear :-D...I do understand why some of you choose to wear shoes though, especially if you have competition with others in mind. Although, I think that eventually, it shouldn't matter either ;-).

nature runner

nature runner said:
Understandable, after I fully complete my bf transition, I will probably do the same. Right now I am mixing it up til I build my feet muscles and soles to a strong level. My soles are pretty much conditioned, it's just the muscles in the feet that I am not used to working that is taking so long, plus I am 38 yrs old, that doesn't help any lol!

I'm 44, so my feet took awhile to adapt. But 3 years in, I just don't like running in shoes unless it's below freezing.

Matt

Matt said:
Maybe I'm just not good at running in shoes, but I can't run as fast in shoes as I do barefoot. They feel heavy and awkward. I especially notice the weight in December when I'm finally forced to put on shoes because of the weather.
I am mainly wearing the minimal to get over my bofp problem on my right foot. If that wasn't an issue it would be wide open bf all the way. I am afraid of hurting myself til I get stronger.

In the past 2 months, there

In the past 2 months, there have been two rocks that made me start thinking about shoes again. But my memory of those rocks faded pretty fast.

I'm faster too Matt...but

I'm faster too Matt...but didn't really think my experience to be indicative of normalcy, since I started running seriously recently, and barefoot at the same time :)....so I don't really have any "personal records" to compare with....I do know that soon as I took off my shoes (one month into beginning running) my experience was one of not only faster, but longer too....I also feel bogged down by shoes. I had no "transition" to make since I never really ran any other way...and the bones in my feet are strong due to more than a decade of being barefoot in all my other activities and work...

NakedSoleNate wrote:I'm

NakedSoleNate said:
I'm faster too Matt...but didn't really think my experience to be indicative of normalcy, since I started running seriously recently, and barefoot at the same time :)....so I don't really have any "personal records" to compare with....I do know that soon as I took off my shoes (one month into beginning running) my experience was one of not only faster, but longer too....I also feel bogged down by shoes. I had no "transition" to make since I never really ran any other way...and the bones in my feet are strong due to more than a decade of being barefoot in all my other activities and work...
That's cool to hear. For some reason, there is a common perception that running barefoot means running slow. I expect that as more people get more experience running barefoot, they will see that this is a false belief.

NakedSoleNate wrote: I'm

NakedSoleNate said:
Going barefoot for me is helping, My form is coming together slowly, I don't feel old by the way, just takes longer to heal out the bumps in the road along the way in my transition. I can't totally go barefoot because of work, but wish I could, feels much better having a connection with the earth. I been mixing up some bf hiking too to try and strengthen my feet more. I think in another month or so I will be all bf on my running hopefully. that is my goal anyway's. Shoes whether minimal or not feel like it cuts the circulation off in my ankles, I don't really like them either.

I do know, that the couple

I do know, that the couple of friends I run with (all shod) I am either setting pace, or right next to them...while I don't know what's "fast" for most people, I'm able to maintain conversation with my best buddy at 8.5 min. miles for 6 miles....and I feel like I could still run indefinately (our current route is 6, when we up mileage, we'll have to start earlier :)...but that is when we are running flat land :). Much slower on trails, but as I also don't wear a watch, and stay out as long as I want to, I have no real knowledge of how fast or slow I am going :). considering the whole garmin thing....but there is that money thing again, and I'm not sure if it would work where I run, since there is no cell service either, and the tree cover is heavy this time of year.

Running strictly barefoot for

Running strictly barefoot for sometime now, I don't like any type of footwear, even wearing my VFF's I find very uncomfortable.

This kind of stinks for me because we always have a wicked winter. I ran barefoot last winter until december than the temps just got to low for me, and had to resort to VFF's.

My breaking point was anything below 35 degrees.

adam james wrote:Running

adam james said:
Running strictly barefoot for sometime now, I don't like any type of footwear, even wearing my VFF's I find very uncomfortable.

This kind of stinks for me because we always have a wicked winter. I ran barefoot last winter until december than the temps just got to low for me, and had to resort to VFF's.

My breaking point was anything below 35 degrees.
I go barefoot even when I am not running, it's helping, I will eventually get there!

I run barefoot for 90% of

I run barefoot for 90% of the time I would say. The rest I run in either huaraches or my Teva Proton water shoes.

If its too cold or wet and cold I go with the water shoes and wool socks. If I am running hills with a kid in the stroller then I wear the protons. I am still getting used to the huaraches and need to tweak the lacing.

I think that there are times and places that merit footwear. I am finally able to keep a descent form switching between the two.

I run mainly on gravel

I run mainly on gravel trails.. so my feet would be completely written off if it wasn't for VFF's. I used to run BF when I used the indoor track, but then I was busted. I also wear some minimalist shoe in the winter as I lose sensitivity in my toes very quickly.

I still consider myself more

I still consider myself more of a minimalist runner than barefoot. I'm in transition.

I'm up to 2x5km barefoot a week, but the rest of my runs are all in some kind of minimalist shoe.

Just starting with VFFs.

3 pairs of cheap water shoes in various stages of modification

- professionally resoled

- home resoled

- home coated with a 'false sole' goo

Marc

I love gravel, it's like an

I love gravel, it's like an hour of reflexology :-D

I am minimalist with

I am minimalist with VFF sprints and Bikilas. Right now the asphalt road is too hot and the sandy trails on the ranch I live on has grass burrs and goatheads. Ouch!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7