How many minimalist runners do we have at BRS?

Personal preference I'd say.

Personal preference I'd say. I do the same. Depends on the situation of the run, the phase of the moon and my mood.

I've run with footwear just

I've run with footwear just three times in the past year and a half, during the winter, once in aqua socks, once in Vibrams, and once in socks...well I took the socks off pretty quick. I'm not against it. Footwear definitely has its place (too hot, too cold, too rugged, etc.), and no one should judge another on their use or lack of use of it. I use it only when necessary though. To each his own.

i think most of us have to

i think most of us have to use some foot protection at some point. for those in the north the winters are harsh. i recently decided that it's too hot to go bare unless i go really early or really late. i enjoy minimalist running as that is where i got my start wearing cross country flats early in my career. i run a lot in vffs now and barefoot running is like my fun run time

I've been 100% bare for the

I've been 100% bare for the last month or so. However I just signed up for a trail/ultra group and I have a feeling my Vibrams will be getting a lot more work.

I think each have their place but BF is much more enjoyable.

I only do it on the gravel

I only do it on the gravel paths, bf everywhere else. I just can't handle being bf on the large gravel. It's so pretty on it you just can't help to run there. The large gravel would kill my feet, and hinder my progress. The rest of the trails in the park are paved or dirt, so it's bf for everything else.

saypay45 wrote:I still use

saypay45 said:
I still use my VFFs to race and do speedwork. I can go forever barefoot, but not forever fast.

I won't lie, I do speed work and distance running in my saucony xc racers. I feel bad because it's not bf, but I can't get speed yet bf, so I gots to have some speed and distance! pretty sorry of me huh, considering I am all about bfr? I mainly love to go bf though, it's my true love!

I love trail running too

I love trail running too much to be 100% barefoot plus I refuse to run indoors at all so that means shod trail running for me sometimes mostly in the winter. Some of the best scenic trail runs are not barefoot friendly at all. During the summer its like 90% barefoot with a now and then shod trail run. I very very rarely ever run pavement with shoes.

This Saturday I'm doing the Atlanta Muddy Buddy race which you alternate between mountain bike and running so I'm caving in on that one and wearing VFF Kso's. I did a little training shod for it but that will probably be all the shod running I do all summer till October/November.

You just have to mix and match to fit the kind of running you like plus the area you live in. The most imortant thing to me is that you fully learn to run barefoot at least one time for a few months to really make the minimalist shoe running work easily. Bottom line is barefoot is my default way to run.

I mainly use flats on gravel

I mainly use flats on gravel trails I can't run bf. Anything else is strictly bf all the way. The trails are too pretty to pass up.

I run everything

I run everything barefoot...don't have a pair of minimal shoes...half my runs are trail runs...and yes, I'm not very fast...but that's not my goal either...I in fact, have no real goal, except to have fun. Not sure what I'll do come winter, I'm going to push the envelope and see how cold I can go :).

I did forget about winter. 

I did forget about winter. In the winter I will try to do some Michael Sandler-esque barefoot runs on snow...but very likey I will wind up in footwear of some kind.

My goal is always to run

My goal is always to run barefoot, but I can't do so often enough. I usually don't make it out the door until mid-day and the asphalt gets hot by then this time of year. I can do big gravel for a little while, but not as long as I'd like so for gravely runs or runs on really old, chewed up asphalt, I wear minimal shoes.

Barefoot KenBob said that the workshop that you don't have to run barefoot all the time to be a barefoot runner :)

nope...I think you can run

nope...I think you can run all the time in minimals and still be a BF runner....Barefoot is all in the Soul.....pun intended...no judgement here ;-)....

I've been a VFFer

I've been a VFFer exclusively for almost that last 5 months... that is when I'm not barefoot. I throw at least one barefoot run in per week for maintaining good form and for fun. I also find that BF is the most waterproof of all my footwear, so while it's currently flooding locally, I'm going all out BF. Good times... good times.

I wish my feet could run

I wish my feet could run naked all the time, but it just isn't possible for me. (Yet?)

I love the trails, and my favorite ones are harsh. So it's KSO's sometimes, cheap sneakers sometimes, and bare anytime I'm on a hard surface.

Maybe this will change someday, maybe it won't. As long as I can keep running, I'm good with however I get it done.

I live on gravel roads, so

I live on gravel roads, so the stars have to be perfectly aligned for me to run them BF. MY VFF classics have been a lifesaver. I really do enjoy getting out completely BF whenever possible, but I also want to keep my mileage and push the pace, and that just isn't in the cards for me to do barefoot yet.

I think that BF running is about proper form and listening to what your body is trying to tell you. Whether you do that with some sort of protection over your feet, or completely naked, is up to you.