Downhill Technique

Thanks for the tips Adam. I

Thanks for the tips Adam. I am 6 months into BFR and I still don't have a great downhill stride. I still think I am going to fast and the heels to pound a bit too much for my liking. I think fast cadence and shorter steps might be part of my issue.

Cheers

Mike (capmikee) KILLED them

Mike (capmikee) KILLED them on the downhills today at his mud run, so all this advice really helped. Longboard, you didn't say how the downhills went specifically - did you pass people, did you bomb them?

JSCH, by the time I got to

JSCH, by the time I got to the long downhill I was so mellow that I no longer cared about time, and was determined to just enjoy the run. After a few minutes of that I got bored, and started passing people. I kept building speed slowly and did'nt overstride because I concsously made the effort not to after reading the advice in this thread. The faster cadence came easy once I knew not to cave into my natural tendancy to overstride the downhills.

I have been lining up near the front at any non-starting mat timed races, and since I don't want to look like I'm inconsiderate I run fast (for me) for the first 1 1/2 miles. It feels fine, so I keep it up til about the 1.5 mile mark. I also realize that I probably won't increase my speed during a race, so starting out as fast as I comfortably can seems to make sense. By the time I am into mile two I realize that my heart rate is probably too high , so I go into cruise and start having a lot of people pass me. That's when most of the comments come, and they are all positive as well as motivating. Usually by then I only pass people who have burned out and are walking. With the long downhill starting at mile 2.5, I was still just taking it easy and enjoying being a smiling part of the parade, but after a while I realized that I was putting in no real effort, so the passing started. I really can't remember another race where I passed RUNNERS in the final mile, it was fun. The gravel last 1/4 mile was'nt the dessert like grass was at a race a few weeks ago, but it just made the BFRunning look all that much more awesome to the crowd at the finish.

On the downhill I just made an effort to not over stride, on the gravel finish I just tried to run extra light with a higher cadence.

Thanks for all of the advice

Thanks for all of the advice here - it definitely helped with the Mud Run today. I'm still not quite sure I understand the hip-rocking thing, but I did find that spreading my feet a little and bending my knees made me feel much more stable when plowing down a steep slope at an alarmingly fast pace.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7