Deep Thought

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
I just realized that the longer and more often that you have been a shod runner, the more difficult it will be to transition to barefoot because it will take longer to undue the "damage" and retrain/develop your foot. I am sure everyone has already had this deep thought - but I am still excited I finally had it!!! :)

I ran shod for 22 years before I started to transition to BFR and It took me 1 1/2 years before I was back to my original shod mileage, though I took my time so as not to injure myself. I guess you could say that rather than TMTS, I did TLTL (too little, too late), but it paid off because now after 2 1/2 years, I'm completely immersed in the barefoot running/lifestyle and can't even think of wearing running shoes again.

I think there is some validity to that, but not necessarily. Some folks might already have the proper running form and all they need to do is toughen up their soles, I'd reckon...

Even those with perfect form already running light on the joints would have to do more than just toughen up their soles.
The muscles and other connective tissues would be weak and atrophied from even the most minimaly supportive footwear use, and the bones would probably be nowhere near their full strength.
Maximum sole toughness can be achieved in just six weeks of proper training, design muscle strength might take up to six months, while maximum bone strength for even the most minimaly shod transitioning to true barefoot will only come after about a year of indulging in skin to the ground activity.

Even those with perfect form already running light on the joints would have to do more than just toughen up their soles.
The muscles and other connective tissues would be weak and atrophied from even the most minimaly supportive footwear use, and the bones would probably be nowhere near their full strength.
Maximum sole toughness can be achieved in just six weeks of proper training, design muscle strength might take up to six months, while maximum bone strength for even the most minimaly shod transitioning to true barefoot will only come after about a year of indulging in skin to the ground activity.

Ah! Once again, I'm completely wrong (that's been happening a lot to me during the last 41 years, or so). I'm grateful for the correction, good sir!

No big ting mon

And, the body's "kinetic chain" reaction would cause changes to go on for a loooooooooooong time.

Well my husband has now transitioned to Moc3s, which may as well be barefoot, and he pretty much did it immediately. He has had hardly any problems. Just a little TOFP, which is masterful wife eradicated quickly. ;)

Well my husband has now transitioned to Moc3s, which may as well be barefoot, and he pretty much did it immediately. He has had hardly any problems. Just a little TOFP, which is masterful wife eradicated quickly. ;)

Which Jen is that? 1, 2, 3 or 4?

Reactions: NickW
Hmmm, well I KNOW it's not 1 or 4, so it's gotta be 2 or 3. :)

That is a great point JT! That is probably a number one concern for long time shod runners, knowing they will have to cut back on mileage, speed, etc. Knowing that I wanted to start barefoot running, I looked at it as starting all over again like I never ran before. It was a new beginning running without shoes, so the thought of starting from zero was kind of fun and exciting.

Reactions: happysongbird
I also didn't want to give up my mileage so I transitioned by starting my regular runs and somewhere along the way, leaving my shoes by the side of the road and running increasing distances in a loop back to my shoes, putting my shoes back on and finishing my run.

I was always concerned about someone seeing where I left my shoes and stealing them, thus stranding me far from home so I would ask different homeowners about leaving my shoes on their porches, hidden in their shrubs, etc. It became like a game to see how people who never met me before would react to this strange request. I did meet alot of nice people along my route though that remain friendly to this day! I think I also might be converting one of them to barefoot running.

I was always concerned about someone seeing where I left my shoes and stealing them, thus stranding me far from home so I would ask different homeowners about leaving my shoes on their porches, hidden in their shrubs, etc. It became like a game to see how people who never met me before would react to this strange request. I did meet alot of nice people along my route though that remain friendly to this day! I think I also might be converting one of them to barefoot running.

Hah!