Check out this heel strike.

Trig Man

Barefooters
Oct 4, 2012
This guy won a 10k race here in Saipan, with a time of 45:23. His foot placement is so far in front of his center of mass, that would kill my knees if I did that for long.
R2.JPG

Reactions: Bare Lee
It looks crazy as a still shot, and he probably is an overstrider, but it would be interesting to see a video clip of him from a different section of the race. He might not run quite as sloppy as it looks in the finish line photo.

What was his time? He looks fast!

Reactions: Bare Lee
The whole heel strike argument is a debunked issue, I think. Some of the most fastest runners out here heel strike. Look at some the elite marathon runners, most are heel strikers. Haile Gebreselaise, is a heel striker. The Kenyans who run barefoot in their home country, some heel strike. (There was a just a recent study on this, I will try to find it) Almost every photo of me running in a race (barefoot), I totally look like I am heel striking. I am the minority, but I truly believe heel striking is not a bad thing, I think its an overblown topic by the barefoot/minimal running community

This guy is finishing the race and slowing down, he is braking.

I'll chime in with Adam in the 'heel strike isn't evil' camp. I run with a mild heel strike. Trying to force a 'more correct' forward strike caused a lot of issues for me. I feel better when I just let my body run. Ido wear shoes nowadays, which softens any sloppy steps (hey, I get tired sometimes:)), but I feel stride length and landing relative to the midline of my body is a better gauge of my form.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
I wonder if he always runs with his sunglasses on top of his head. Guarding his brain from those evil UV rays? Also, his glasses, shirt and shoes match; must be a bit of a dandy! It's a wonder he doesn't have on a pair of those white Bill Rodgers gloves.

I think heel strikers drink their own bath water too. Holding his hands like that to show off his new manicure.

Where in tarnation is Saipan?

Okay, okay, I ain't gonna say no more, else TJ might lock me outta this forum.

One last observation: I bet nothing unclean has ever touched the bottom of his feet.

Looks like his knee is going to snap! Yikes!

Yeah, this guy has a fully extended leg, which I'd say is not awesome, but he's also breaking the tape so he could be striding out for showmanship...

Nevermind

I don't mean to criticize him, he won and that is great. I just know for myself how learning to run with my foot landing directly in line with my center of mass has really helped me to run injury free. Sorry for using the term "heel strike", didn't mean to spark a debate. I just know how working on my own form has help me.

Reactions: scedastic and Lomad
The guy in the picture that started this thread is stopping, so of course it tells us very little about how he runs.
But, I want to point out how difficult it usually is (outside extreme cases) to differentiate heel strike from
forefoot strike from an ordinary video. Look at the ground reaction force traces in this study
by Daniel Lieberman and collaborators:
http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html
The initial force transient in the first heel striker video takes all of 20 microseconds (that's 1/50 second
between 0.136 s and 0.154 s). So, if you've got 50 frames/second, and your camera is at ground level and
the runner is unshod (otherwise who knows exactly where his foot is?), then maybe --- maybe --- you can tell by eye.

Reactions: Lomad
The whole heel strike argument is a debunked issue, I think. Some of the most fastest runners out here heel strike. Look at some the elite marathon runners, most are heel strikers. Haile Gebreselaise, is a heel striker. The Kenyans who run barefoot in their home country, some heel strike. (There was a just a recent study on this, I will try to find it) Almost every photo of me running in a race (barefoot), I totally look like I am heel striking. I am the minority, but I truly believe heel striking is not a bad thing, I think its an overblown topic by the barefoot/minimal running community

This guy is finishing the race and slowing down, he is braking.
I totally agree, often mainly used to decelerate the heel, like slopes down, and never had no rubbing or discomfort, the difference is how hard you run

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon