Barefoot running with a jogging stroller.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
When my first son was born i didn't have to use a jogging stroller, having one kid is a piece of cake, you still alot of freedom and time to get things done. My uncle gave us a jogging stroller that just collected dust, but now that we have baby #2 getting time in for a run can more be difficult. I have to say i give alot of people credit who run with a jogging stroller, it's not that easy at first. This morning i ran 5 miles, barefoot, shirtless pushing my son in the stroller, the whole WTF from people in cars hit a new dimension!

But while running i thought this jogging stroller can be a good tool to help people who are struggling with barefoot running. To push a stroller you have to stand erect, and I noticed that when you stay close to the stroller, it increases the forefoot landing, and your pace increases. I usually average around a 180 cadence, but I ran at a 8:30 pace today, and my cadence was even quicker. And the last thing is i noticed it can be easy to bounce the stroller a bit when you have two hands on the bar, but you can correct that, and when you correct the bounce, you get complete fluid motion from the waste down, while the upper body is still as a rock. I understand that is how you are supposed to run, and I do even without the stroller, but the stroller was almost like a coach, in way.

Just something i thought to be interesting.

Did you have any issues with

Did you have any issues with pushing off more? I would imagine that you definitely need a tighter core throught your run. Maybe this would be a good training tool for that...

So we will have jump ropes

So we will have jump ropes and jogging strollers being added to our barefoot running clinics. Like it! Throw in some water and mud puddles too!

Abide wrote:Did you have any

Abide said:
Did you have any issues with pushing off more? I would imagine that you definitely need a tighter core throught your run. Maybe this would be a good training tool for that...

Good point! and you are exactly right. It was very easy to push off, if you wanted a nice cadence and lift you had to stay closer to the stroller, and the core did get worked more. That's another good point I didn't mention, I do work my abs more with the stroller.

Strollers aren't for

Strollers aren't for newbies! I found it to be very rough on my feet due to pushing off until I got my form very tightly dialed in. Now my little one's too big for the stroller so I don't get to work with it any more. Maybe I'll save it for grandkids. (Only 15 years or so till that's a remote possibility.)

As a new barefoot runner, I

As a new barefoot runner, I didn't want to start pushing the stroller because I thought it would really tear up the feet. But then I decided to take it out one day and noticed I was able to go farther. I think it is because I had to slow down pushing the thing that it actually helped me to have better form. I have set my longest distances for the week by using a jogging stroller.