A Guy, A Girl and 2 Barefoot* runners!

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
The Lady of the Lake Relay on Saturday was a long list of firsts! My first competition longer Han a 5K (even if only by .65miles), my first race with McKinney Running Club (Drinking club that sometimes runs! LOL), my first relay, my first sub10m/m avge run in a race, my first meddal and the first time I've had to be a designated driver after lunch!!! Haha!

I ran the second leg at about 8:40am and there was a nice breeze, so my worry over ground temp was unfounded. It was an interesting 'read' with smooth concrete, well worn wood bridges and a stretch of chip seal. It was the hardest I've pushed myself and my feet felt great while running, though a little sore after. No blisters though. We meddled in our division and I met some really great people!

I also got my first back-handed compliment from a runner old enough to be my grandfather- "Are you running barefoot?" Yessir! "Boy...you got more guts than brains!" He winked and affectionately patted me on the arm, so all I could do was chuckle. I also got some "Barefoot? Oh YEAh!" "Now that's tough" and a "Good work!" from a guy who looked like main guy from "Running the Saharah" as he ran by.

The group, which included a VFF runner quickly dubbed me "The REAL barefoot runner" as a jab at the Vibram guy, but he's cool. He's going to come run with us at Oak Point next weekend. He actually handed off to me. Pretty fast guy considering he's only been running since January when he tried the VFFs and was not a runner prior! 5.25 miles in 39ish min.

All in all, it was a great day! Can't wait till the next event with that group of crazies!

-Jonny

Congrats, Jonny!  Funny

Congrats, Jonny! Funny comment from the older guy. Hysterical you had to be a DD at noon. Let us know how your Texas meetup goes.

Thanks, y'all!  Funny thing

Thanks, y'all! Funny thing that would bug the crap out of TJ...in the post race update by the McKinney Running Club Chair, he states the the team I was on finished second in our class with (2) barefoot runners, although Matt runs in Vibrams! LOL! One of the other runners, Kevin, gave him enough crap about not being "Fully Committed", that I'll leave it alone. I was just thrilled to be accepted into the group! No one treated me different for not wearing shoes. I'll try and get a few pics posted when they come out. One of the camera guys said, "Barefoot runner! Alriiiight!" and took several pics to get my feet in the shot...

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon