2015 Jerusalem Marathon, Half, 10K, 5K ... Anyone?

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Running' started by Barefoot Rick, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Barefoot Rick Barefooters

Message Count:
    I know I don't post here often. However, occasionally one or two persons want to know what is going on with my barefoot running.

A couple of weeks ago I completed another barefoot marathon. This was possibly my most meaningful, even more so then all my barefoot Boston Marathons, New York, Chicago, etc. I finished the Jerusalem Marathon barefoot which was wonderful. Next year, I would like to be part of a group of barefoot runners that would like to do the various race distances. No matter if you are a person of faith or not, there is something special about running on this ancient soil.

Here is my report if interested. If anyone thinks that they might want to consider it for next year, please let me know.

http://barefootrunner.org/reports/14jerusalem/14jerusalemmarathon.htm

Best Regards,

Rick
  2. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    I'm glad you were able to take part, Rick. Welcome back!

3. Barefoot Rick Barefooters

Message Count:
    Thank you TJ. ... It is great to be back!
    Barefoot TJ likes this.
  4. happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    I'm curious about what sorts of surfaces you end up running on during your marathons. I am planning on trying my first marathon this coming fall, and doing it barefoot, but am somewhat concerned about a lot of the rough asphalt around here. I will be running locally and doing my best to try out the course and prepare, but I wouldn't mind a few words from someone with more experience!

5. Barefoot Rick Barefooters

Message Count:
    happysongbird .... Marathon courses and sufaces are varied. I have ran on very rough courses, and some that felt like butter. Jerusalem was my 56th barefoot marathon and I would say it was a mixture of both rough and smooth. Where will you be running your first in the Fall? Possibly I can comment on the texture.

Best, Rick
  6. happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho
    2. Presidents

Message Count:

7. Barefoot Rick Barefooters

Message Count:
    Looks like a great course. I would imagine it is hilly since it is in Boise? Not sure, but I know they use a lot of chip seal in mountainous areas. Chip seal is where the spread pebble-sized gravel and then pour tar over it. It can be a bit uncomfortable.

I would suggest writing the marathon race director and ask them what kind of surfaces are on the course.

Best to you!
  8. happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    I went and looked at your barefoot marathon history and I find it encouraging.

dharmadan and Barefoot Rick like this.
  9. happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    oh, I definitely know about the chip seal. I just ran a barefoot 10K that had 2.58 miles of extremely sharp asphalt. My feet are still recovering. I will plan on trying out the course before race day. I did that for the 10K and it was very helpful. Thanks.

Barefoot Rick likes this.
  10. dharmadan Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania
    2. Taiwan

Message Count:
    Thank you for the report, Rick. :thumbup

Barefoot Rick likes this.
  11. Barefoot Gentile Barefooters

Message Count:
    I would certainly like to join you in 2015, but maybe the year after!

Happysongbird: I agree with everything Rick has said. Maybe they have a forum or a message board on their website. Or you can try runningworld.com and go into the marathon forum they have and ask some questions, be warned some people in there have no tolerance for barefoot running:)

My suggestion is try to purposely train on some rough road conditions to condition yourself for the unknown. Good luck with training!

12. Barefoot Rick Barefooters

Message Count:
    Yes, what Adam said! :) ... "My suggestion is try to purposely train on some rough road conditions to condition yourself for the unknown. Good luck with training!" ... That is sound advice. When I have done Heart of America Marathon in Columbia Missouri, I knew there was 2 miles of gravel road. So, I tried to add in some gravel road training before I would do it.

Plan and prepare for the worst and be grateful when that is not the case. That will take you a LONG way.

Best to you,

Rick
  13. JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania
    2. New Jersey

Message Count:
    What do they say? "Next year in Jerusalem?" What a cool run that would be!

I will dream on, though.

happysongbird likes this.