Training to run, without...running (much).

Is not that easy, at least for me.
One of my swimming instructors told me that when teaching kids to swim the girls will pick it up much faster than the boys as the boys are denser than the girls.
Maybe I should get fat and see for myself if that is true...not.
or test Mikes theory....:p

Is not that easy, at least for me.
One of my swimming instructors told me that when teaching kids to swim the girls will pick it up much faster than the boys as the boys are denser than the girls.
Maybe I should get fat and see for myself if that is true...not.

My seven yr old son is small for his age, has no discernible body fat at all, and lots of muscle for a kid. He can currently swim underwater, do a kid version of a back stroke and front crawl, but what's holding him back from finishing this level of his swim class is floating still on his back. I'm not sure it's even possible. If you are small, dense with muscle and little fat, floating isn't going to be easy no matter how much you relax.

My seven yr old son is small for his age, has no discernible body fat at all, and lots of muscle for a kid. He can currently swim underwater, do a kid version of a back stroke and front crawl, but what's holding him back from finishing this level of his swim class is floating still on his back. I'm not sure it's even possible. If you are small, dense with muscle and little fat, floating isn't going to be easy no matter how much you relax.[/quote]

There you have it, that sounds like me :)

Yes willie, I have had several and I have healthier bones than a 22 yo according to the results.
Would that be part of my problem, you think?

Well, no, yes, I don't really know. I'm associating dense bones with heavy bones, it just makes sense to me, but I really don't know what I'm talking about here, lol. I do know that my legs really sink like cement and there must be some reason for it.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Well, no, yes, I don't really know. I'm associating dense bones with heavy bones, it just makes sense to me, but I really don't know what I'm talking about here, lol. I do know that my legs really sink like cement and there must be some reason for it.

I am going with your theory, the more I think about it the more sense it makes.

it's not my theory but i'm willing to help anyone test it out.

i don't float well either, never have. i can tread water really good and swim ok. i first learned how to swim underwater on my own and took lessons from there. didn't like those.