Training to run, without...running (much).

There is nothing fancy about this, it's called lifting weights and running, it's been around for ever.
It's what I always come back to, on and off, for over thirty years, with slight variations: lift one day, run the next. It's the minimalist fitness program, satisfyingly simple like fruits and vegetables.

Sra. Dama, (isn't that a little redundant?)
You must be really skinny to be dense enough to sink.
Maybe you could try learning in a wet suit. The neoprene is quite bouyant without being totally awkward. Also, have you mastered the kick? If you have a strong and fluid leg motion to propel you, you can do lots of fun and energetic stuff with a board in your hands. Then you can build confidence long before you have the whole arm / leg / sideways breathing coordination thing mastered.
Suerte!

Sra. Dama, (isn't that a little redundant?)
Kindofsorof.

You must be really skinny to be dense enough to sink.

That's what the instructors have told me exactly, that I am too dense and it will take me longer to learn to float. My co-workers think that I weight 90 lbs but my weight is ussualy 102/103 lbs and 105 lbs around the holidays.:)

Maybe you could try learning in a wet suit. The neoprene is quite bouyant without being totally awkward.

Tha't is something to consider, never thought about it-thanks for the suggestion.

Also, have you mastered the kick?

Kick? what kick?mastered the kick? are you kidding me? I am just too bussy trying not to drown.:D

If you have a strong and fluid leg motion to propel you, you can do lots of fun and energetic stuff with a board in your hands. Then you can build confidence long before you have the whole arm / leg / sideways breathing coordination thing mastered.
Suerte!

Nope, no strong fluid motion here, me being in the pool trying water stuff is not a pleasant sight.:)

Reactions: Zetti
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/running/The-Agony-and-the-Heresy.html

There was just an article about this very thing in the last Outside magazine. Cross Fit Endurance...... About running a marathon and your longest run being only 13 miles. Makes good points on either side of the debate.

Doing less, but doing it much harder is the gist of it.
Here's a rebuttal: http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2012/01/crossfit-endurance-tabata-sprints-and.html

Note: I'm not taking sides, as I've never tried CFE, or serious high-volume training. I prefer to do a little of each basic run type: intervals, tempo, and long-n-steady, to cover my bases, at a low-to-moderate weekly volume.

Here's a rebuttal: http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2012/01/crossfit-endurance-tabata-sprints-and.html

Note: I'm not taking sides, as I've never tried CFE, or serious high-volume training. I prefer to do a little of each basic run type: intervals, tempo, and long-n-steady, to cover my bases, at a low to moderate weekly volume.

I use hair spray....it says right on the bottle that it "adds volume and permanent wave"
The "permanent wave" thing gets old quick at big races though...
runner-waving-smiling.jpg

Sra. Dama,
If you want to give it a shot, just picture yourself long and sleek, holding a paddle board out in front of you and doing long, gentle lengths with hardly a ripple. You're breathing easily and enjoying the feeling of sliding through the water. Your legs move easily like scissors, your toes pointed, each kick driving strongly and confidently...
...you CAN reach a point wherein you can be strong and relaxed and just kick your way back and forth.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
What they said ^
Can I become a swimmer by just running? of course not! And I do REALLY, REALLY, want to know how to swim, or at least float! and as much as I run I still can't float! damned!

Well, floating is easy, just take a deep breath, hold it and that's it, you stay afloat. Personally I like more free diving than swimming, it's also kind of easier way to start learning to move in the water, diving mask makes it whole lot of easier, as it's not so much a desperate fight to stay afloat. And when you have learnt to move beneath the surface you can do it above also. Then just learn some technique to optimize your way of moving in the water. Swimming goggles and nose closer make less drag when swimming, but mask is better in the beginning, you can see more, it's more comfortable and it's more waterproof.

Well, floating is easy, just take a deep breath, hold it and that's it, you stay afloat.
Not so. No matter how much I did this in my skinny days could I stay afloat. I would sink like a rock, and I was a good swimmer I just couldn't float. Now a days though since I became chunky I float pretty easily. I think if you have a low amount of body fat you may not float so easily.

The funny thing is that back in the day I was in thswimming pool at least five times a week but after a Very close call, knockig on Heaven's door, I left the pool for so many years until I felt like I loss my phobia and felt brave to give swimming a second or third try but it was no good...no good.
There are instructors who state that they specialize in helping people overcome their fear of water. Maybe try one of them?

As an aside, I'm starting swim lessons next week. It's a shame living in Orlando, with so many water parks and not being able to fully enjoy them.

Not so. No matter how much I did this in my skinny days could I stay afloat. I would sink like a rock, and I was a good swimmer I just couldn't float. Now a days though since I became chunky I float pretty easily. I think if you have a low amount of body fat you may not float so easily.

This has totally been my experience. 50 lbs ago I could not dive to save my life. Now I can skim along the bottom of the pool easily.

Reactions: happysongbird
Have you ever had a bone-density test done? I've been curious about that ever since a P/T told me I have extra-heavy legs. His comment fit in with my experiences in the pool.

Yes willie, I have had several and I have healthier bones than a 22 yo according to the results.
Would that be part of my problem, you think?

Sra. Dama,
If you want to give it a shot, just picture yourself long and sleek, holding a paddle board out in front of you and doing long, gentle lengths with hardly a ripple. You're breathing easily and enjoying the feeling of sliding through the water. Your legs move easily like scissors, your toes pointed, each kick driving strongly and confidently...
...you CAN reach a point wherein you can be strong and relaxed and just kick your way back and forth.

I am going to print this and memorize it so when I go to pool to practice-it will be my mantra.
Gracias Jose.

There are instructors who state that they specialize in helping people overcome their fear of water. Maybe try one of them?

As an aside, I'm starting swim lessons next week. It's a shame living in Orlando, with so many water parks and not being able to fully enjoy them.

Maybe I should look into that. thanks

Well, floating is easy, just take a deep breath, hold it and that's it, you stay afloat. Personally I like more free diving than swimming, it's also kind of easier way to start learning to move in the water, diving mask makes it whole lot of easier, as it's not so much a desperate fight to stay afloat. And when you have learnt to move beneath the surface you can do it above also. Then just learn some technique to optimize your way of moving in the water. Swimming goggles and nose closer make less drag when swimming, but mask is better in the beginning, you can see more, it's more comfortable and it's more waterproof.

Is not that easy, at least for me.
One of my swimming instructors told me that when teaching kids to swim the girls will pick it up much faster than the boys as the boys are denser than the girls.
Maybe I should get fat and see for myself if that is true...not.

Reactions: Zetti