Training to run, without...running (much).

This is just like the HIT program. These types of training methods have been circulation for years now, it's nothing new. This new modern way of trying to run a marathon or longer, without running, or limited running confuses me. Yes you can run one on this program, will it be fast, will you feel good at the end? Probably not. Call me old school, but if you want to run a marathon with a decent time you need to put the miles in.

There is nothing fancy about this, it's called lifting weights and running, it's been around for ever.

I've read about this philosophy of training, under crossfit endurance. It seems to work for some, but obviously not everyone. Some people go for volume, vs speed, vs crosstraining. Clearly, all can be effective, in their own way. I suspect that there are many different methods that can help one develop into a competitive athlete. However, becoming a world class elite is probably a different story.

I think that each person has to find the method that works for them. I recall a quote by Lydiard, "My athletes don't have pain. They enjoy running." This was probably true of those who were successful using his technique, and probably not for those who weren't. Just because one has the training schedule of a world class athlete doesn't mean that they'll become one.

I've read about many methods. I find the one that works best for me is just to run, barefoot, on trails, for an hour or more, whenever I feel like doing so. I am injury free and continue to improve as a runner. I don't race, so I could care less about "training". I've done a variety of different structured workout programs, but don't care to do so now, but that doesn't mean that I won't try them later. Like Lydiard said, it's all abut enjoying whatever you're doing.

What they said ^
Can I become a swimmer by just running? of course not! And I do REALLY, REALLY, want to know how to swim, or at least float! and as much as I run I still can't float! damned!

What they said ^
Can I become a swimmer by just running? of course not! And I do REALLY, REALLY, want to know how to swim, or at least float! and as much as I run I still can't float! damned!

Take a class! They have lots of adult beginner classes everywhere you go. I bet your university offers them for cheap. You'll be glad you did.

Reactions: SillyC
Take a class! They have lots of adult beginner classes everywhere you go. I bet your university offers them for cheap. You'll be glad you did.

I have taken not only one but TWO classes and I suck at it the only thing I got out of the swimming lessons was back pain and that was not fun.
The funny thing is that back in the day I was in thswimming pool at least five times a week but after a Very close call, knockig on Heaven's door, I left the pool for so many years until I felt like I loss my phobia and felt brave to give swimming a second or third try but it was no good...no good.
I tried water running but BORINNNNG.

Reactions: Sid
I have taken not only one but TWO classes and I suck at it the only thing I got out of the swimming lessons was back pain and that was not fun.
The funny thing is that back in the day I was in thswimming pool at least five times a week but after a Very close call, knockig on Heaven's door, I left the pool for so many years until I felt like I loss my phobia and felt brave to give swimming a second or third try but it was no good...no good.
I tried water running but BORINNNNG.

Hmmmmmm, yes, that's a tough experience to overcome. Fairly natural to avoid.
One of the reasons I'm adamant about getting my kids through level gajillion of swim lessons and keeping them in. Hanging out at the pool with them inspired me to start again, but my situation differs in that I never had a bad experience.
Maybe hang out with a friend at the pool once in a while, casually? In shallow water? Someplace warm enough to enjoy?

I spent a month this past summer trying not to drown.....It didn't help my running much....unless you count the increased desire to run and not swim....lol
I like swimming for recreation....not a work out =)

also....I love running too much to think about training for a marathon without running much. One of the best parts of any race is the preparation, in my opinion at least :barefoot:

Hmmmmmm, yes, that's a tough experience to overcome. Fairly natural to avoid.
One of the reasons I'm adamant about getting my kids through level gajillion of swim lessons and keeping them in. Hanging out at the pool with them inspired me to start again, but my situation differs in that I never had a bad experience.
Maybe hang out with a friend at the pool once in a while, casually? In shallow water? Someplace warm enough to enjoy?

My sweet husband tries to help me and goes with me to the pool and I really do great with him as long as he continues to hold me, once he lets go of me he comes and finds me in the bottom of the pool. ha,ha, ha.
I think he's given up on me though and surely I don't blame him.
One of this days, and when I feel brave again I am going to give it a third try maybe is true that the third time is the charm, right?

I spent a month this past summer trying not to drown.....It didn't help my running much....unless you count the increased desire to run and not swim....lol

also....I love running too much to think about training for a marathon without running much. One of the best parts of any race is the preparation, in my opinion at least :barefoot:

I concur, if it were up to me I'll be doing nothing but run,run and run...so much fun.

Reactions: Bare Lee
What they said ^
Can I I do REALLY, REALLY, want to know how to swim,

Haha... I sink like a brick. I had a few lessons and actually have pretty good technique, but the Hausfraus with the flowered swimming caps leave me in their wake.

Re running a marathon w/o much running... I run because I like running and can't really relate to this approach. I'm thinking, if I didn't love running so much, I wouldn't even enter a marathon in the first place.

Sort of like running with music. I know that some people do this because they can't run otherwise. It's too boring. Or too strenuous. And I think, just find something you enjoy and do that instead, without the musical distraction.

I love to swim, bike, and run. I actually ran a triathlon about 35 yrs ago in So Cal, and did pretty well too, then joined the Navy and spent 10 months every year at sea. Hard to run at sea, it's take two steps, come up for air, ...

Swimming is a great way to learn breath control, not to mention a great way to cool off after a race.

That is one of the main differences I notice from strength training -my musculo-skeletal alignment and posture are significantly better from strength training. And so is my ability to execute proper form.

I do like the emphasis on overall training, though. Since I started doing abs and upper body with some regularity a little over a year ago, I feel fitter, stronger and more balanced. That can't hurt running, can it?

Agreed, anything on solid ground I am all for it! :)

Whenever I don't sleep,
I always sleep better when I do.
But I don't sleep competitively,
so I don't know if this applies to running.

LOL!!

Whenever I don't sleep,
I always sleep better when I do.
But I don't sleep competitively,
so I don't know if this applies to running.
my wife sleeps competitively so Ill ask her and report back...:D