Mileage Reporting 5th Week of 2013

Yah, I know :eek: .
.....I'll go on a short run today to test it out. I should probably adopt the Skedaddle protocol and only report positive results! We're all getting tired of this, right? Truthful reporting has its limits.

Sometimes, but I don't think you whine. It's important to know that humans among us get all kind of funky tweaks all the time, that we all take breaks, that we get ill, that it's not magic. The people I knwo who don't work out regularly see me as this magical paragon of motivation with a body that doesn't get tired or hurt, who just feels like going out in to the cold dark winter to run and that I don't have to work myself up to it, that we all have to work hard to make time in our schedules to create positive habits.
Also, remember, at certain ages, doing nothing can lead to just as many if not more injuries (and one would argue, more serious ones long term) than doing too much.
Positive spin: think of all the bad things (sore back, aches pains of all kinds, lack of flexibility, etc) that you could be feelign right now if you weren't trying to keep up with exercise.

Did I miss something? are you injured too?
Oh Dama, when aren't I injured? Lol! Seriously though, I had been battling PF for over a year now and I seem to have completely cleared it up on the left foot and the right foot I think I have cleared up the actual PF, but I have a different pain that wraps from the side/front'ish area of my ankle down along the medial side of my ankle and under the heel. I can still run and walk, but any sort of pushing off hurts. I actually think this may have been the real problem over a year ago but it was masked, or hidden, by the pf when I saw the doc a year ago and I think it has gotten worse. With doing the single leg eccentric heel drops I've noticed that my right foot has gotten noticeably weaker as well and I struggle to do the same reps that I did back when I started the exercise a year ago. Anyhow, that's probably why I have been pretty quiet lately here. Just waiting to hear from the new doc (I really disliked my last podiatrist so I had to get a referral to someone else) but he is only in the clinic close to me once a week so I have to wait for two weeks from today to see him. I suppose I probably could see him sooner had I been willing to go in the city, but the city gives me anxiety so I would rather just wait to see him.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Maybe I should be counting them as speed work. ;)

Sounds like a plan to me!

Me and my four-legged little running partner did just short of 13km today, coming up short of the 160 I was half-heartedly shooting for in January. No biggie.

Saw something interesting along the way. Well, it's actually a pretty common sight here but this time I took a pic.

Wild Boar rooting damage:

uploadfromtaptalk1359572805161.jpg

It's important to know that humans among us get all kind of funky tweaks all the time, that we all take breaks, that we get ill, that it's not magic.

We're all human Scedastic :D
I didn't run at all for 9 days recently (combo of flu-like bug, lots of work, lousy air quality in SLC and freezing rain) and having started back up again this week my thighs are letting me know they did not like the lay off.
I'm certainly going to try and avoid any extended lay-offs in the future - getting back into it is just a little uncomfortable!

We're all human Scedastic :D
I didn't run at all for 9 days recently (combo of flu-like bug, lots of work, lousy air quality in SLC and freezing rain) and having started back up again this week my thighs are letting me know they did not like the lay off.
I'm certainly going to try and avoid any extended lay-offs in the future - getting back into it is just a little uncomfortable!

AMEN. I'm freaking right now since it's been about 2 weeks since I've run regularly. I hate the feeling of starting all over.

Another run with the dogs today, I do not know if 2 miles is still considered a micro run or not. Pace is still faster then previous winter runs so maybe there is something about "micro" runs. 18C with a windchill of -25C and of course snowing again, another cold snap moving in. Should be in the -30C before the weekend, It has been a while since we had a winter this cold or with as much snow as we've already had to date. :( I am definitely ready for spring.

Grrrr!

[sigh] Taking a little break. It seems that with my nice one-month streak of working out (I usually don't do weights because they bore me), I have aggravated my shoulder. Additionally, my back needs adjustment. So, discretion being the better part of valour and all, I'm going to stop and see my chiro tomorrow (if nothing else, I'm heading to the mts this weekend and want to be able to do stuff). It's not that I don't think I'll get back into the working out groove, but it's frustrating: Every time I get a good rhythm going, something seems to come up (work, travel, illness, abduction, civil unrest, forest fires, mudslides, malfeasance, bad form, using the wrong fork to eat salad, someone put LSD in the Cool Whip) that screws everything up.

I'm not laid up, mind you - Right now, I'm thinking all I need is an adjustment and I'll be back on top of the water, but my 41 y/o self is telling me that it's best to chill, lest my down time get unfortunately extended. Oh, how I miss the days when I was young and stupid and went hell for leather and ignored myself. I got so much more done, then!

Stupid maturity...:D

Well, now I really can't wait till I can run again. I was at REI today and I saw they had the new Vibram El-X so I decided to try them on. They are the lightest, flimsiest, closest to barefoot shoe I've found. They are so incredibly flexible they actually beat out the KSO's in that department. They are 4.7mm thick in total stack height. 2.7mm outsole and 2mm midsole. These feel so comfy on my feet, it actually might kill me to not run... I just looked up the KSO thickness because I was curious and the outsole is 3.5mm and the midsole is 2mm for a total stack height of 5.5mm. So my thoughts were confirmed and these are indeed thinner than the KSO. I did run just a touch in the store and it was super easy to feel and adjust how my feet were landing. I had to buy them and at $75 as the normal price I just couldn't pass them up. I even talked an employee there into trying them on by my raving about them. :D

Will be interested to hear if the El-X are a bit nicer seam-wise than the KSOs Nick. My KSOs have nasty seams that rip up the sides of my feet if I wear them for too long without socks or band aids.

Grrrr!

[sigh] Taking a little break. It seems that with my nice one-month streak of working out (I usually don't do weights because they bore me), I have aggravated my shoulder. Additionally, my back needs adjustment. So, discretion being the better part of valour and all, I'm going to stop and see my chiro tomorrow (if nothing else, I'm heading to the mts this weekend and want to be able to do stuff). It's not that I don't think I'll get back into the working out groove, but it's frustrating: Every time I get a good rhythm going, something seems to come up (work, travel, illness, abduction, civil unrest, forest fires, mudslides, malfeasance, bad form, using the wrong fork to eat salad, someone put LSD in the Cool Whip) that screws everything up.

I'm not laid up, mind you - Right now, I'm thinking all I need is an adjustment and I'll be back on top of the water, but my 41 y/o self is telling me that it's best to chill, lest my down time get unfortunately extended. Oh, how I miss the days when I was young and stupid and went hell for leather and ignored myself. I got so much more done, then!

Stupid maturity...:D
yeah, it's always the LSD in the cool whip that gets to me, too - - - ;)

Reactions: RunningPirate
Sometimes, but I don't think you whine. It's important to know that humans among us get all kind of funky tweaks all the time, that we all take breaks, that we get ill, that it's not magic. The people I knwo who don't work out regularly see me as this magical paragon of motivation with a body that doesn't get tired or hurt, who just feels like going out in to the cold dark winter to run and that I don't have to work myself up to it, that we all have to work hard to make time in our schedules to create positive habits.
Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement. I guess I get a little frustrated because throughout this recent mishap spat, the majority have been self-inflicted. But the knee seems fine now--just a tinsy bit sore--although I skipped another run/workout day yesterday just to be sure, plus I had only slept four hours and was dead tired by the end of the afternoon, and I spent the second half of it getting my wife's traffic citation dismissed by a very sympathetic hearing officer, who immediately took a liking to us when he saw she was driving a Saturn. I just slept eight hours now so perhaps the insomnia spell has been broken. And the cough is just about gone.
Also, remember, at certain ages, doing nothing can lead to just as many if not more injuries (and one would argue, more serious ones long term) than doing too much.
Positive spin: think of all the bad things (sore back, aches pains of all kinds, lack of flexibility, etc) that you could be feelign right now if you weren't trying to keep up with exercise.
But you're absolutely right, an MCL strain has to be weighed against heart disease and whatnot. I think I must be at a certain age for niggles though, hopefully this age is, or soon will be, done with . . .
Another run with the dogs today, I do not know if 2 miles is still considered a micro run or not. Pace is still faster then previous winter runs so maybe there is something about "micro" runs. 18C with a windchill of -25C and of course snowing again, another cold snap moving in. Should be in the -30C before the weekend, It has been a while since we had a winter this cold or with as much snow as we've already had to date. :( I am definitely ready for spring.
Maybe we need to set up a micro run registry to standardize the measure. I was thinking a mile or less, and a block or more, of continuous running might count as an official micro run. Perhaps between one and two or three miles could qualify as a "mini-run." Then 3-10 miles or perhaps 3-8 miles is a "meso-run," and anything over that is a macro-run.

I really like the idea of a micro run, that I can simply run around the block and it's still giving me some benefit. Hopefully in February I can put the whole plan into place. Or just run.

But Willie's right, that's some serious wind you got up there!
1.4km barefoot on the beach this morning followed by a good surf. Late to work and not at all guilty.

If I count the micro-runs, I'm up to 6 consecutive days, so tomorrow will probably be the first time I've ever ran every day for a whole week.
Alright! Long live the consecutive micro runs! I'll be back on that train on the 1st I think. Since I've already had two days off, I'm going to take today off too, just do weights, to make sure my knee and cough are ready for a half century of daily micro, mini, meso, and macro running. Plus it's like -20 F /-30 C windchill out right now. I'm going to let the momentum of inertia keep me inside today and daydream about running on the beach in Oz.
[sigh] Taking a little break. It seems that with my nice one-month streak of working out (I usually don't do weights because they bore me), I have aggravated my shoulder. Additionally, my back needs adjustment.
Careful with the kettlebells Eugene! A lot of that functional fitness stuff can lead to pulled muscles if you're not properly warmed up or haven't built up to it slowly.

Go Ravens!

One of the windiest corners in Canada, Portage and Main, is here in town Willie. There is not to many days where the wind does not blow, the prairies here are as flat as a pancake, not much to stop the wind. :)

lol, you didn't get my joke. You had a typo in your first post and I was teasing you about it ;)

Very impressed with anyone who can run in those conditions - the worst imaginable for me!

welp, I decided what the hey, last day of the month and I feel pretty good, so why not just go out and knock off the 12km I needed to get to 160 for January? Came in at just over 13 (I think), giving me 161km - until I scrolled the history in my run app and realized that one run had been uploaded twice, doi. So, 161-8=153km for January.

I'm really not concerned with Km, but I do want to stay consistent for the Rennsteig in May.

Now I'll take Fr/Sat off and hopefully this Sunday actually get out past the three hour mark!

Oh yeah, no dog with me today, she seemed to want to relax, which she's allowed to do anytime she wants.

Reactions: happysongbird
AMEN. I'm freaking right now since it's been about 2 weeks since I've run regularly. I hate the feeling of starting all over.

when I take two weeks off from running I pick it up where I left it, muy endurance doesnt really suffer.
Hopefully is the same for you.

Reactions: NickW
welp, I decided what the hey, last day of the month and I feel pretty good, so why not just go out and knock off the 12km I needed to get to 160 for January? Came in at just over 13 (I think), giving me 161km - until I scrolled the history in my run app and realized that one run had been uploaded twice, doi. So, 161-8=153km for January.

quote]
Bummer willie it can be frustated sometimes when some goals are not accomplished particulaly when one thought otherwise.
But not to worry you'll make up this coming month plus some!

Reactions: BFwillie_g

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon