Mileage Reporting 5th Week of 2013

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
1 mile/1.6km, shod
31 F / -.5 C
24 F / -4 C windchill

Had a nice micro/recovery run in 2-3 inches of snow with my Neo Trails. I was supposed to do a proper run, but with the snow and everyone sick I thought well, let's see what one simple mile feels like. It turns out it feels good.

Maybe I'll try to join that mile streak-club in earnest.
http://runeveryday.com/
http://www.runeveryday.com/news/TheDangersofStreakRunning.htm

Or maybe I'll just do a run every day barefoot streak, that way I can just run around the block (.3 miles), on the coldest days without risking frostnip again.

My toe calluses (except the pinkies) have completely molted now. It feels a bit odd to feel our wood floors unmediated by them, with soft, reddish flesh.

So FINALLY - it has been over a month since I have had normal energy EVERY day. First time since October. I've been doing a lot of strength exercises in the swimming pool and FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY I had the energy, strength, and motivation to start running in earnest again. I ran 2.5 miles on Tuesday and 2.5 miles on Thursday -pavement. I did strength exercises on Monday and Wednesday. I wanted to go running today, but got waylaid by egg-laying. I am WAY excited to be running "normally" again!!!

1.1 miles / 1.8 km.
32 F / 0 C
Shod in Neo Trails

The mile-a-day streak is already on its second day! And it's the third consecutive day running! Will I make it to the end of the week?

After doing some banking with my wife, she left me off to run home while she continued on with errands. I had a nice run through the slush in my street clothes, but was wearing my Neo Trails. I'll try to do my chest and upper arms st workout later today, but my cough is starting to come back. I really need to sleep one of these days.

I seriously doubt I'll make much effort to keep a streak alive, but I am enjoying the idea of running a bit every day if possible. The question is do I now go on my regular run tomorrow, or just keep to one mile while I'm waiting to see how my body responds to this more consistent signal for adaption?

1.1 miles / 1.8 km.
32 F / 0 C
shod in Neo Trails

The mile-a-day streak is already on its second day! And it's the third consecutive day running! Will I make it to the end of the week?

After doing some banking with my wife, she left me off to run home while she continuing on with errands. I had a nice run through the slush in my street clothes, but was wearing my Neo Trails. I'll try to do my chest and upper arms st workout later today, but my cough is starting to come back. I really need to sleep one of these days.

I seriously doubt I'll make much effort to keep a streak alive, but I am enjoying the idea of running a bit every day if possible. The question is do I now go on my regular run tomorrow, or just keep to one mile while I'm waiting to see how my body responds to this more consistent signal for adaption?

Nice!
I say, go for your regular run one mile is not enough distance to cause any issues...I think.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
5.8 miles on the indoor track.
I was basically by myself at the beginning and I was having fun but then a large group of students(I think it was a PE class) came in and it was hard to run with all the weaving that I was doing...:mad:

Nice!
I say, go for your regular run one mile is not enough distance to cause any issues...I think.
Yah, I think maybe I'll just do 2-4 miles for the next couple of regular runs, and then next week, if everything seems to be going OK and I'm still able to run everyday, I'll try to get up to 5-6 miles per regular run again and then, if everything is still hunky dory, I'll start augmenting the third regular run of the week as my LSD run and see where that takes me.

I guess if I start to feel a bit of a strain, I can also revert back to just running around the block once for my 'recovery' run and forgo the mile-streak idea, which will hopefully die a graceful mental death soon anyway. I wouldn't want it to get too far and start skewing my priorities, make me run with a fever or ITBS or something.

It might be premature to introduce a new element before I've firmly re-established my running, after so many set-backs over the last 5-6 months, but my gut is telling me it's the right thing to do. Seems like it might make me a better runner in the long-term.

Reactions: Sid
I don't know if I should even come read this thread while I'm sick.... It always seems like it takes forever to get well, doesn't it. But, the daytime temps are getting up into the 30s-40s(barely) so it might be more possible to run when I am well. Good work everyone.

1.35km barefoot. Transitioning rather than a micro run, but let's call it a micro run because that seems to be so hot right now. :) Tried to up the pace a little, felt like I was running fast, but it turned out I was just running 5 min/km just like every other run I ever do.

Get well soon happysongbird!

9.1mi barefoot trail. Felt tired and sleepy today. Run was okay, after I woke up a bit. Saw a mountain biker leaving, and I was getting ready to run. Couldn't tell if he was taking a shortcut from the residential area on one side of the trail to the other residential area, or perhaps just out for a ride. First time that I've seen him. This trail holds so many mysteries!

9.1mi barefoot trail. Felt tired and sleepy today. Run was okay, after I woke up a bit. Saw a mountain biker leaving, and I was getting ready to run. Couldn't tell if he was taking a shortcut from the residential area on one side of the trail to the other residential area, or perhaps just out for a ride. First time that I've seen him. This trail holds so many mysteries!

I miss running on the trails. Can't wait until I'm up to that point again. I actually daydream about running on trails, fairly frequently. Sigh...

1 mile micro run with my four legged running buddies. Speed has gotten faster though with the micro runs. Maybe I should be counting them as speed work. ;)
That's kind of my sense too, although it's a bit early to tell in my case. I do think we're onto something here though. I just have to find the right balance, or distances, for the meso runs to complement the micros before mixing in the macro runs.
I don't know if I should even come read this thread while I'm sick.... It always seems like it takes forever to get well, doesn't it.
I think this season it's particularly bad. I just can't seem to shake this bug. I still have a dry cough and mild congestion. I know I need to sleep more than 5-6 hours, but don't seem to be able. And our son has been sick for a week now too.
That's what I keep telling myself while the real runners go whooshing past. :)
Know what you mean; sometimes I'm impressing myself with a steady 8-9mm pace on a lake path when some young skinny guy passes me at close to twice the speed and looks as elegant and smooth as a gazelle in doing so.

++++++

Anyway, walked 1.1 miles shod yesterday afternoon after doing a minimal st workout. First went to the post office and then down to the school to pick up my daughter. I ran for two blocks, to get in another micro run, but my legs seemed to be telling me to save myself for tomorrow's run, so I quickly put a stop to it. Walked back from the school with daughter on her shoulders, and then finished shoveling the driveway when we got back. I walked bare through the slush to pick up my daughter at her friend's house at dinner time, to test out the new toe skin's sensitivity. It seemed OK, so perhaps on today's run I'll try doing a bit of it bare, since it's supposed to be above freezing again today.

Another 10 swim laps. It gets easier every day, and I take less of a rest between laps, except my shoulders and back are feeling pleasantly worked, which I didn't think would happen given all the upper body st I've been doing over the last few weeks. Might take tomorrow off then do more later in the week.

Heading to the gym after my boring 1pm meeting cuz w/out the running, my poor little leg muscles are atrophying.

Still no running. That spot on my ankle was getting better, but it's been worse again the last two days. Grrrrrr.

Another 10 swim laps. It gets easier every day, and I take less of a rest between laps, except my shoulders and back are feeling pleasantly worked, which I didn't think would happen given all the upper body st I've been doing over the last few weeks. Might take tomorrow off then do more later in the week.

Heading to the gym after my boring 1pm meeting cuz w/out the running, my poor little leg muscles are atrophying.

Still no running. That spot on my ankle was getting better, but it's been worse again the last two days. Grrrrrr.

Have you tried some ankle compression? it might help.

30 mins stairs workout followed by a 15 min walk.
Tough workout but it makes me feel sooooo alive! AND happy :)!!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts