Women's Issue: Running Through Menopause

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
There are a lot of advantages to being running at this stage of my life, but there are also some newer challenges. Like cramps 3 out of 4 weeks a month and the GI symptoms that can be associated. And sleepiness hitting me like a ton of bricks some days, when I've already slept 9 hours at night. Then, there's just the unpredictability of it all. Can't plan races according to the calendar anymore. And sometimes I feel like I am constantly at risk for minor environmental disasters. I have always had to deal with how the hormones hit me emotionally, so at least that is something I'm practiced at! Anyone have any encouraging words or related challenges that we should be warning each other about?

I have no GI issues nor cramping I am in one of the happiest stage of my life at the moment. Not having to worry about menstrual cycles has been marvelous for me, not having to worry about being home at a certain time because of the kids, absolute a joy! I AM FREEEE!!!.
One thing though and is making me very sad is that the older I get the slower my running becomes:swimmingtears: .
The only thing I could tell you about getting older is that the energy level diminishes and one gets tired much more easily, at least that the case for me but I am sure my back pain has a lot to do with how I feel energy wise. There are times when I have no pain and I do feel wonderful but when the pain comes I feel so drained.

Reactions: happysongbird
HSB, I'm probably hopelessly out of tune on this, but it would seem that running would contribute to a mellowing or an evening out of the stressors. My GF is well through the change as of a couple years ago and is now happiest when she's got some regular regimen of exercise going.
On the other hand, as comments so far indicate, there is a wide range of "normal" on this issue.
Good luck to you and your husband!

Reactions: happysongbird
HSB, I'm probably hopelessly out of tune on this, but it would seem that running would contribute to a mellowing or an evening out of the stressors. My GF is well through the change as of a couple years ago and is now happiest when she's got some regular regimen of exercise going.
On the other hand, as comments so far indicate, there is a wide range of "normal" on this issue.
Good luck to you and your husband!
I definitely think exercise helps a lot. I hear a lot about other women complaining about insomnia. Not a problem for me and I think the exercise is part of the reason for that. But in the middle of all the changes, I think it can be more challenging to keep up a regular routine, since so much is changing all the time and there is a fair amount of discomfort and inconvenience. :)